Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
ebcorde
Veteran

The IGGY PUGLISI Story

why does Ignacio get so few rides? he rides for me and wins.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Maybe they don't like jocks who ride hard thru the wire on every mount?

I don't often find myself saying 'iggy had the best horse and got him beat'. Good post, not sure why he doesn't get more shots.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #3
ultracapper

You must have had West Mid in the 2nd at Del Mar Sunday. Me too.

He's a fine rider. Works hard for the small barns. He's done wonders for Paul Aguirre over the years in SoCal.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 02:31 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Iggy rides like he knows being out there is a privilege, he rides em all hard.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
ultracapper

He won the first renewal of the Longacres Mile run at Emerald Downs on Irisheyesaresmiling. Out of the 10 hole, at Emerald Downs at a mile. That's a job in itself.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Big Peps

Agree 100%, he's a good rider
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
chenoa

I remember him winning the Canadian Derby aboard Sounds Fabulous at Northlands Park. Was and still is a very good rider.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

[YT=""]sE9dXL2_OF0[/YT]

Here's a recent interview iggy did w Rich Perloff, not about his life and career, but about his mounts he had that day.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Peps
Agree 100%, he's a good rider
Iggy Puglisi may be a reasonable rider today, but for at least a decade when he was younger, I considered him to be a poor rider.
For starters, Iggy is very tall for a jockey, (perhaps too tall to ever be a really good jockey).
As a result, in his earlier days, he used to ride with his arse in the air and use the wind resistance on his body to manage a horse.
Unfortunately, this parachute effect of his body was detrimental to many horses chances of winning.
California trainers could see that and he was never going to get top mounts with that riding style.
One of the only trainers that would use him consistently was Paul Aguirre.
Even then he never got the most our of Aguirre's mounts.
Over the years, Iggy has learned to ride lower in the saddle than he once did. He is more aerodynamic today.
But you only get one chance to make a good first impression and that arse in the air style didn't impress most of the higher percentage trainers.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Iggy Puglisi may be a reasonable rider today, but for at least a decade when he was younger, I considered him to be a poor rider.
For starters, Iggy is very tall for a jockey, (perhaps too tall to ever be a really good jockey).
As a result, in his earlier days, he used to ride with his arse in the air and use the wind resistance on his body to manage a horse.
Unfortunately, this parachute effect of his body was detrimental to many horses chances of winning.
California trainers could see that and he was never going to get top mounts with that riding style.
Over the years, Iggy has learned to ride lower in the saddle than he once did. He is more aerodynamic today.
But you only get one chance to make a good first impression and that arse in the air style didn't impress most of the higher percentage trainers.

yeah he is tall. He also used to work for TVG as an analyst and that gig faltered too.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
yeah he is tall. He also used to work for TVG as an analyst and that gig faltered too.
He was working at TVG as an analyst while recovering from a terrible spill. Once he had recovered and returned to riding he gave that up.
Could tell by watching Iggy during his tenure at TVG that he knew the game really well. He answered emails about riding and other aspects of racing.
Unfortunately he was too often seated along side Nancy Ury, who'd rather laugh and cut up for 3 hours than take anything seriously. Often Iggy looked more like her sidekick than an analyst.
I can't speak a lot about his riding. My interest in racing tapered off quite a bit soon there after, though I still watch Rich on Mondays and Tuesdays. I do know Iggy's a top notch guy and a hard worker. I wish him the best.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
NY BRED
GARY

IGGY

Sincere person, rider who makes few mistakes.

Somehow, as crazy as this may seem, I believe his name,
not his ability, hinders him from getting more mounts..
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Speaking of tall jockeys, one of the best Q-horse jockeys I've ever seen, standing at 5'11"- 117lbs, was the supremely talented----> Kip Didericksen....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Tanner Riggs could of been great too. but was very tall and read he had a hard time making weight
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #15
ultracapper

Quote:
That's an interesting post. Thanks.