Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Windows 10 Info Before You Decide To Upgrade

See links at end of article before deciding. Reminder 1 year to decide.

Looks like you'll lose Windows Media Center. Uncertain of impact for me because I do use it.

Are there alternatives?

The Cortana A.I. feature looks interesting. It may be the deciding feature for me.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-1...778998979.html
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
pandy

Windows 10 Upgrade

I installed my free Windows 10 upgrade last night. So far so good. Cortana is essentially Google + like on your phone, you can ask it questions. I just hope this new media center, Groove Music, doesn't lose my music. So far it isn't showing everything but it looks like it's still downloading.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Media player used to dump my music all the time, then it would say, "But don't worry. We'll just re-scan your music into the library."

Since I have over 2,500 CDs on a network drive, it took about a week. Seriously. Never again.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I've yet to run into a single issue with W10, been great. I've had it since the outset, a few months at least.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
FocusWiz

One thing I ran into on one of my computers is a setting to "Let Windows manage my default printer" which forces the default to be the printer last used. If you prefer to have the old behavior back (where you choose the default and then select other printers without affecting the default), you should turn this feature off.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I installed my free Windows 10 upgrade last night. So far so good. Cortana is essentially Google + like on your phone, you can ask it questions. I just hope this new media center, Groove Music, doesn't lose my music. So far it isn't showing everything but it looks like it's still downloading.
I found out that you can't rip a cd to Groove, but Windows Media Player is still there and works as usual. Groove will automatically copy any music on your computer as long as you have the folder selected.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I've yet to run into a single issue with W10, been great. I've had it since the outset, a few months at least.
I have had no issues either as I am still on Windows7 where I will remain until my current laptop dies. My history with laptops tells me I probably have about another 18 months until I have to buy a new one which no doubt will include Windows10.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

I haven't used Media Center for a long time - but it was how I would tune in the TV signal before I decided a tuner card wasn't needed. I've downloaded and installed VLC, which is a nice multi-platform media player, and allows me to have the same tool on Linux.

For those that toggled/tweaked the "diagnostic" telemetry data collection (ie, where you surf), Microsoft has seen fit to turn it back on for you by renaming the service.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...-begins-again/

Keeping an eye on your PC is a revenue generator for M$, 'cause, ya know, they're not making enough money......
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
I haven't used Media Center for a long time - but it was how I would tune in the TV signal before I decided a tuner card wasn't needed.
I know that you know this but for others reading this thread Media Center is not the same as Media Player. Media Center is no longer offered in Win10. I used it to run a Home Theater PC and it worked quite well. I have since moved to a dedicated tuner/DVR which I like a lot better.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I agree 100% there hasn't been one glitch on my end. I'm really impressed with boot up time it is really quick. Plus it's free I have an image in case something goes wrong. I've had it a little less time than you and it's on a laptop and desktop.

I read they even let pirated copies get the upgrade but the notice (not sure what it says) will not go away. So if you were getting notices before it will still validate the upgrade even though they know the computer it's on didn't pay for it.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #11
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
I know that you know this but for others reading this thread Media Center is not the same as Media Player. Media Center is no longer offered in Win10. I used it to run a Home Theater PC and it worked quite well. I have since moved to a dedicated tuner/DVR which I like a lot better.
Correct. Media Player is still part of W10, but I don't think it handles TV tuner signals. When you mention "dedicated tuner/DVR", I'm assuming you mean different hardware? Something like TIVO?

While my experience with Windows 10 so far has been mostly neutral, I don't find it any better than Windows 7. If anything, I don't like the "tablet" oriented interface as much, since I end up digging down to the same administrative menus or apps anyway. I haven't spent the time yet to tweak all the services and settings to turn off all the things I won't be using, but privacy concerns alone will ensure my desktop continues to run on Linux Mint 90+ percent of the time....
Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If anything, I don't like the "tablet" oriented interface as much, since I end up digging down to the same administrative menus or apps anyway.
I do not really know what Win10 looks like or how unpleasant it is. But these guys have a great product for Win8 that made it function like Win7 (i.e. gave you back your desktop). I cost a whopping $4.95.

Might be worth a look.

Start 10 from Stardock
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I do not really know what Win10 looks like or how unpleasant it is. But these guys have a great product for Win8 that made it function like Win7 (i.e. gave you back your desktop). I cost a whopping $4.95.

Might be worth a look.

Start 10 from Stardock

Start menu is back in W10 so you really don't need that. You really don't even need a start menu for W10 to be honest, the search function is great. Just type in the program you want and it pops right up.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Start menu is back in W10 so you really don't need that. You really don't even need a start menu for W10 to be honest, the search function is great. Just type in the program you want and it pops right up.

I just ask Cortana to open BRIS PP Generator or any of my other programs. No need to do any typing.

Last edited by jk3521; 12-02-2015 at 06:12 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
MONEY

Ever since I switched to Windows 10 I can not open Pdf files with the windows browser. I just get a message that says "Something’s keeping this PDF from opening."
I downloaded the acrobat reader for windows 10 and for some reason Microsoft Edge can't find it.
Google Chrome works fine though.
I won't upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop because I need to open Brisnet PPs when I'm at the track.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply