Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
OCF

Dortmund

What's to say the big fella doesn't just wire this thing?

Yeah I know it's not the preferred Derby running style, but it has been done - War Emblem in 2002 and Go for Gin in 1994. Maybe it's due.
OCF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF

Yeah I know it's not the preferred Derby running style, but it has been done - War Emblem in 2002 and Go for Gin in 1994. Maybe it's due.
Don't forget Winning Colors in 1988. I had $20 on her at 60/1 in the future book at the Gold Coast in Las Vegas. That wire couldn't come up soon enough.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
SecretAgentMan

Once in the 80's, once in the 90's, & once in 2002, so I'm assuming we will get another one between 2010 to 2020......but I doubt its this year.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
Once in the 80's, once in the 90's, & once in 2002, so I'm assuming we will get another one between 2010 to 2020......but I doubt its this year.
This was before I followed the sport but believe Spend A Buck wired the field, fastest fractions for a wire winner if memory serves me.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF

Among the obvious choices, I believe that D has the best shot to win it.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minethatbird08
This was before I followed the sport but believe Spend A Buck wired the field, fastest fractions for a wire winner if memory serves me.

Serves you correctly. Cordero being Cordero.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
paulbenny

spend a buck 1985

I believe he did it too by about 5 in 1985. It was speed all the way.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by minethatbird08

Oh, I didn't know he wired it. I started betting horses in 1991, but knew Winning Colors did cause of Lukas & Gary Stevens.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
Oh, I didn't know he wired it. I started betting horses in 1991, but knew Winning Colors did cause of Lukas & Gary Stevens.
NP, once I get into something I read everything I can on the subject. I think why I remember it is because when Bodie lost some people said his fractions were too fast and others mentioned Spend a Buck.

Fwiw, I didn't know about Winning Colors wiring the field. So we both learned something.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
classhandicapper

I like Dortmund's chances.

Once Calculator and Texas Red went down and then American Pharoah left CA, what looked like a killer CA group weakened. However, I think Dortmund is better than he looks on paper despite the questionable competition. I would argue that in each of his last 3 victories he was not racing on the best part of the surface, but was able to win anyway. That's impressive. So if he generally looks good (imo he does), and he's better than he looks (imo he is) he's going to be tough.

The female side is a little sprinty and I don't like the fact that he's been pulling to the lead. I'd prefer he relax off the pace like he did in his earlier starts because the Derby pace is usually fast. But if he can relax IMO he's got a huge shot.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Thunder Gulch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny
I believe he did it too by about 5 in 1985. It was speed all the way.
Can't remember clearly, but wasn't there another speedy horse that was supposed to go with SAB but stumbled at the start, opening the door for an unpressured, though fast pace.

When Bodemeister rebroke of the turn a couple of years ago after quick fractions, my jaw dropped. I thought I was on the verge of seeing something great, but alas, that last furlong did him in.
Thunder Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Can't remember clearly, but wasn't there another speedy horse that was supposed to go with SAB but stumbled at the start, opening the door for an unpressured, though fast pace.

When Bodemeister rebroke of the turn a couple of years ago after quick fractions, my jaw dropped. I thought I was on the verge of seeing something great, but alas, that last furlong did him in.
In 2002, MdO (the only other speed) was supposed to go with WE, but MdO stumbled at the break and was then swallowed up and pressed against the rail by the weight of the field, leaving WE to coast at an honest but comfortable pace.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Thunder Gulch

I have my doubts as to whether he will sit off the pace, so being involved in a .46/1:10 has me cautious. He's a heck of a horse, but at the same time the rumblings around the Baffert barn have been that AP is lengths the better horse.
Thunder Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I like Dortmund's chances.

Once Calculator and Texas Red went down and then American Pharoah left CA, what looked like a killer CA group weakened. However, I think Dortmund is better than he looks on paper despite the questionable competition. I would argue that in each of his last 3 victories he was not racing on the best part of the surface, but was able to win anyway. That's impressive. So if he generally looks good (imo he does), and he's better than he looks (imo he is) he's going to be tough.

The female side is a little sprinty and I don't like the fact that he's been pulling to the lead. I'd prefer he relax off the pace like he did in his earlier starts because the Derby pace is usually fast. But if he can relax IMO he's got a huge shot.

Problem with Dortmund relaxing is he's so big, that if he does relax going around the 1st turn, he will get killed amongst other horses.

This years race isn't like last year, last year you could clearly see there was only one horse that had the speed & stamina to blast out fast & get ahead of the field but behind 1 or 2 horses that were the pace going into the first turn.........

Chrome easily looked like the dinner after you seen him go around that 1st turn because there were no other horses as fast as him in the race.

This year we have like 4 or 5 horses that have that speed & also some cheap speed that will destroy any chances of the good horses up front, IMO, its gonna be brutal up front & the horses sitting behind the pace will get burnt as well........there's no doubt in my mind the winner will come from way behind to win this years derby.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
I have my doubts as to whether he will sit off the pace, so being involved in a .46/1:10 has me cautious. He's a heck of a horse, but at the same time the rumblings around the Baffert barn have been that AP is lengths the better horse.

No doubt in my mind at all that AP is better than Dortmund right now........later in the fall will be interesting because Dortmund is still filling out.......he's like Shaq at LSU in college, haha!