Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
jk3521
Registered Loser

Finding the hidden horse ?

Any comments ?
http://www.amazon.com/Finding-The-Hi...1WMKWZW2A0J6NZ
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Like many handicapping books, some pros and cons. It's written in a rather dry style since the author has an accounting background, but gets points for presenting many examples, with PPs and charts, and focusing on longer-priced horses and eliminating false favorites. The author has 40+ years of handicapping experience, and the book has an intro by his daughter. The content is easy to read, and in a conversational, and handicapping tone.

Many of the angles are ones that I use and already knew, but I did pick up a few tips as he covers 2YOs, claimers, the importance of pace in turf races, stakes, etc. I got a chuckle when he covers the 2009 Derby and refers to "Mine That Bird" as "Make Mine Bird", and why he bet Summer Bird in the Belmont.

Would I recommend the book? To advanced players, or ones that focus on using complex software tools, no. To recreational players and ones more in the "pen and paper" category, yes, though I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who demonstrates the tenacity to complete a project like writing a book.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
upthecreek

software avaiable too

http://rpmhandicappinggiant.com/find...-the-software/
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
jk3521
Registered Loser

Thanks for your input. Would be willing to pay $30 for the book , but would think twice about spending $150 on the software , especially since it is an RPM product, with their reputation.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Krudler

I've read Conrad Crease's Finding the Hidden Horse and have used the software based on the text. The program is useful in that it quickly and accurately does all the calculations required to indicate which horses have the "tells" that hint at a winning performance. That said, it's not a "black box" and much interpretation of the results in required by the user.

In Crease's follow-up book, Running a Hole in the Wind: Hidden Horses Found - published in 2013, the author goes in depth on how he uses the FHH software to cash many tickets. He also puts forth a wagering strategy based on interpreting the program's results. In essence, the book is a 210 page ad for the software. That said, if you have the program, it does provide some interesting insight into how to get the most out of it.
Krudler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krudler
I've read Conrad Crease's Finding the Hidden Horse and have used the software based on the text. The program is useful in that it quickly and accurately does all the calculations required to indicate which horses have the "tells" that hint at a winning performance. That said, it's not a "black box" and much interpretation of the results in required by the user.

In Crease's follow-up book, Running a Hole in the Wind: Hidden Horses Found - published in 2013, the author goes in depth on how he uses the FHH software to cash many tickets. He also puts forth a wagering strategy based on interpreting the program's results. In essence, the book is a 210 page ad for the software. That said, if you have the program, it does provide some interesting insight into how to get the most out of it.
I just ordered the book from Amazon.com. I will give my idea of the system after reading it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Krudler

Which book did you order? The original or the follow-up?
Krudler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krudler
Which book did you order? The original or the follow-up?
Original. I understand that the follow-up is of no use to anyone who doesn't have the software.