Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
TonyMLake

Minimum and maximum time between races?

Hi all,

If you had to pick a hard couple of numbers, perhaps based on distance and/or other arguably important factors, what is the minimum time you'd like to see between races? What's the maximum time before you'd call it a "layoff"?

As an example, I'd like to see a horse with at least 7 days since the last race, and no more than 42.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
thaskalos

10 days minimum, and 30 days maximum.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMLake
Hi all,

If you had to pick a hard couple of numbers, perhaps based on distance and/or other arguably important factors, what is the minimum time you'd like to see between races? What's the maximum time before you'd call it a "layoff"?

As an example, I'd like to see a horse with at least 7 days since the last race, and no more than 42.

Thanks.
In this exrtract from my notes you can read some of my views about recency:

http://themindofagambler.com/horse_betting_recency.pdf
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
horses4courses

Varies.....10 days and 30 days might be good guidelines,
but you will see horses winning outside those parameters.

That being said, if you passed betting on horses who rested
above, or below, those numbers, you would likely save money.

The only exception I might point out is where a horse is a proven
winner, or top performer, off an extended layoff. The horse should
have displayed significantly improved form after a long rest at least
twice in it's career. Some horses respond to time off, and if you can
spot a "layoff lover" like this, sometimes you can catch a nice mutuel.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Keep in mind that days that intertwine in between meets are also a factor. For example, if a horse who ran in December at Late Nov at Mountaineer and then didnt race until opening week of the Mountain meet in March, i would give that horse much more leeway than i would if a horse was missing 90 days from January to April at Aqueduct.

Days matter within the context of the situation, knowing your horse, the type of horse (graded horse or claimer) when meets end, etc.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
HUSKER55

I prefer at least 10 days between races. Less than that,... it depends on how I feel about the trainer.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
lamboguy

the biggest factor of horses being able to run with days off is the lasix and the other drugs that go into horses in preparation for races these days. no doubt the lasix helps the horse run faster, but i don't think its that great on his insides.

this is a different era in horse racing today, years ago the horses that ran every 3-5 days were better than the ones that needed 10 days off to run. back then racing was a game of stamina and perseverance. today its all about speed
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #8
MJC922

I like to look at the individual horse's prior spacing and efforts to get a feel for what might be best for that horse. Some horses these days don't appear to be robust enough to handle short rest. Some will fire their best efforts when off for 6 weeks lets say and even though next out they might regress only mildly and still win I generally don't want that same horse coming back on two weeks rest after an effort. I'm of the opinion that some horses will protect themselves when on short rest and take the 'week off' throwing in a non-effort. All of this may even have a seasonal component to it, might even have an age / sex component to it. Spacing is highly underestimated area of study IMO. Maybe I tend to overrate it but factors that generically mean nothing when looked at from afar but then mean a lot only sometimes are exactly where I believe the money is.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #9
Capper Al

10 days minimum and max varies by race type. A graded race max might be 60 days, while a claimer 30 days.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Research by Dave Schwartz and Ken Massa (independently) clearly show horse off 30-60 days are not at all disadvantaged.

My own studies on Gr1 and Gr2 races show 90 days off is absolutely no concern.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
the biggest factor of horses being able to run with days off is the lasix and the other drugs that go into horses in preparation for races these days. no doubt the lasix helps the horse run faster, but i don't think its that great on his insides.

this is a different era in horse racing today, years ago the horses that ran every 3-5 days were better than the ones that needed 10 days off to run. back then racing was a game of stamina and perseverance. today its all about speed
Agree on all counts.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
10 days minimum and max varies by race type. A graded race max might be 60 days, while a claimer 30 days.
I agree with higher caliber horses of 60 days, and my "expiration" time from noted replay race is 35 days for claimers and maiden races.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Research by Dave Schwartz and Ken Massa (independently) clearly show horse off 30-60 days are not at all disadvantaged.

My own studies on Gr1 and Gr2 races show 90 days off is absolutely no concern.
I didn't make a study of Gr1 and Gr2. Thanks for the info.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
I agree with higher caliber horses of 60 days, and my "expiration" time from noted replay race is 35 days for claimers and maiden races.....
I lump maidens and claimers together here also.

Anatole France

Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMLake
Hi all,

Thanks.
I'd probably consider 60 days off before considering the time as a "layoff" from the horse's regular racing schedule.

What does DRF and BRIS consider layoff time periods?

It's noted in their pp's with an underline, I forget.

I would think you and others have a database to determine a horse's regular racing schedule. Years ago, I looked at average time off for horses winning and their last race and if I remember correctly, it was between 3 and 4 weeks.

I'm curious how that compares to someone else's database results?

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 03-03-2015 at 04:52 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply