Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
The Inside Scoop
Veteran

Driver stiffs one gets mini holiday

FILION,SYLVAIN R
ORC - DID DRIVE THE HORSE IN A INCONSISTENT MANNER
Commission Rule Number : 22.11
Date Issued : 15-NOV-2014
Total Due : 500.00
Violation Occurred : Race 3 at WOODBINE RACETRACK on 10-NOV-2014 horse VANCE BAYAMA
Suspended From 23-NOV-2014 To 25-NOV-2014 (Driving Suspension)

Its ok to bury one, stiff the public, when you were 5 lengths the best. Here, take 2 days off and we will grab a nights pay from you. Its too bad the Woodbine judges missed the other 5467677895478978890890 drives like that over the last 30 years. Great way for WEG to send a message on integrity, what a fn joke.

Anyone ever wonder what happened to Quebec racing and why they went out of business? Look no further then the Filion clan. They were a huge part of Quebec going under with all the games that were played.

Watch for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwlN2NGxj9A

Last edited by The Inside Scoop; 11-18-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I don't bet harness but that was a F'N joke. The quintessential stiff job.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
Sea Biscuit

Here we go again with the innuendos and conjectures again. The Filion family is somehow responsible for what happened in Quebec. I can only laugh

I have seen the video tape race replay a few times now. If you look closely you will find that when Saftic, aboard #7 just behind Filion's horse VB, saw #6 coming on the outside he pulled his horse early, quickly and fast that he (Saftic) pinned VB on the rail for the rest of the way.

The horse was coming into this race with two wins off two tough trips. The horse is owned by the Filion family owned barn Bayama farms and if you think Filion hates money coming to him, then I have a small bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. The only way you can win money at a track by stiffing your horse is to bet against your own horse. Most unlikely in Sylvain's case as he makes good money at WEG closing in on 5 million in purse earnings.

The judges reacted because from what I hear they got a lot of calls from irate gamblers who bet the horse down to 15 cents on the dollar. The $500 fine and the 2 day suspension was probably to pacify these callers.

Sylvain Filion is Canada's Driver of the year for 2013 and you don't get to that position by stiffing horses.

One mistake, if you can call that a mistake, by this champion driver and guys like Scoop want to burn him at stake. Only a fool would think like that.

Enuff said.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...in-filion.html

Last edited by Sea Biscuit; 11-18-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Gotta admit , he was blocked from the half on.........

The best thing about that video was the resolution....damn that looked good
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

He never should've been in a position to be buried. You pull as soon as they hit the end of the first turn or early backstretch.

Those are the same excuses we heard Herve throw out back in the 80's.

Looks bad no matter how you look at it.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit
The only way you can win money at a track by stiffing your horse is to bet against your own horse.
Not always
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
zico20

That was a dump job, no question. But it does seem like the other drivers were all in on it as well. It was all planned to box him in the entire race. Pathetic.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Not always
I'm all ears.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
camourous

Whats great about it is he gets a extremely lenient 3 day suspension and Woodbine only runs one of those days.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous
Whats great about it is he gets a extremely lenient 3 day suspension and Woodbine only runs one of those days.
WEG drivers have been known to travel to other tracks in Ontario.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
He never should've been in a position to be buried. You pull as soon as they hit the end of the first turn or early backstretch.
EMD4ME: Have you ever sat behind a harness horse?

Stop trying to teach a champion driver how to drive.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
outofthebox

It wasn't a stiff job..Just a passive drive and he got caught napping down the backside. Maybe he was looking for a second over trip after two tough races. But he made no effort to flush out the 3 hole and that's the only thing i was upset about. He was actually trying to find a spot inside the 1/16th and eventually found a spot to late. I don't think the WEG should fine drivers for poor decisions.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
LottaKash

NW of 2 races liftetime...says it all for me...

I rarely play em anymore...

Of course it eliminates many races these days, "especially the WEG circuit", where those are all you ever see anymore,but I don't mind, and that is because of all of the money that I have saved by not playing this type of race any longer, these past few years...

It always cracks me up when certain bettors won't play a "SWEET LOU"-"best of the best type" at 3/5, but will play a nw2lt at 1/9...like they were machines..

As for my opinion of the race, it could be or couldn't be a boat race, but all I saw was a horserace that ran like a typical NW2 race, and the favorite, for whatever the reason, didn't get his trip, which is usually a big burst of speed to the outside as they get near to the half, and in this race he had trouble keeping up (nearing the half) even tho he was being urged to do so, sitting 4th on the rail trying to keep a double hole closed (a new early position for this horse), and he got loose very late and finished with flourish after it was too late...That is all I saw..

Plus, they do try to give young horses an easier race from time to time, and that is one of the reasons why, for the most part, I have all but abandoned NW, 1, 2, 3 races...(Not all tho)...I hardly look at them any longer, and even then only when I have plenty of time and nothing else to do...They have always been a confusing and unreliable bunch for me....My records show that is not where my best handicapping talents lie, never did....

If anyone does well with that type in the long run, " I Salute You"...
Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
The Inside Scoop
Veteran

The Filion clan has long been known as a huge reason that Montreal racing ceased. I have watched both Yves and Sylvain set many a horse up in Blue Bonnets back in the day. Yves just had a positive test a year or 2 ago and Filions buddy Moreau has a class 1 positive for Aminorex from Sept 2013 that still has not been dealt with. Scum is scum no matter which way you look at it. Always has been and always will be. The worse day in Ontario racing is when Quebec racing closed and they all came to Ontario. You only need to look at the list of those who have been in a lot of trouble to see where they used to race. From Giroux, to Gendron, to Johnson, to Baillaergeon, to Zeron, past and recent history tell the real truth and anybody who tells you different doesn't have a fn clue.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

Definitely as bonehead of a drive as it gets. Should have been at least a 10 day suspension. When he didn't pull in front of the 7 on the backstretch he interfered with him and the 1 horse behind him who was looking to skim the pylons and close what would have been a hole.

Keep in mind in the stretch when trying to get out he kept steering the horse into every possible opening that didn't exist.

I think I read on another forum that Filion drove the horse the same way the week before as well. Not surprised that bettors were outraged after he did it again.
Closed Thread