Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Windows XP Updates

Today is the first Tuesday of November, I've just received an update when I shut down my XP machine. I do recall this occurring in the recent prior months. I thought MS stopped issuing updates for the XP as of April 2014. But, I do remember an emergency update notice which went out after April.

Has anyone else noticed these updates or does anyone know why they're still occurring? Is there a way to find out what was updated?

Thanks.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Today is the first Tuesday of November, I've just received an update when I shut down my XP machine. I do recall this occurring in the recent prior months. I thought MS stopped issuing updates for the XP as of April 2014. But, I do remember an emergency update notice which went out after April.

Has anyone else noticed these updates or does anyone know why they're still occurring? Is there a way to find out what was updated?
They will still send the security updates and "malicious software removal" where they can...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
They will still send the security updates and "malicious software removal" where they can...
Right, as best as I can recall, that's the only thing I've seen hit my lone XP system. I'll pull it out of the bag (it's a laptop) in the next day or so to see if there are any updates, bring FF up to date then run another backup. If there are any MS Updates other than the malicious software kind, I'll be surprised. I believe today is MS Update Tuesday, so I expect to see the 16 updates I read about earlier today to come down the pike here shortly.

As far as checking what was actually installed, I believe the XP version of Update does have a history function. Start MS Update then look along the left side to see if you can find 'show history' or 'show updates.' The other possible way to check -- XP related specifics is growing dimmer and dimmer, so I could be wrong -- is to run the Control Panel app Software then Installed Updates which should produce a list.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

Malicious Software Removal Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...e-removal.aspx

Note the asterisk for XP -- it will be dropped as a target platform for those removal tool updates next July.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Thank you for your responses. I was unaware of this.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
wilderness

Mine came today as well.
Unfortunately the thing is a piece of crap, and had NEVER detected anything.

FWIW, I haven't fired up my XP 64 machine in more than five months. Last time I did updates were abundant each month.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

As expected, my XP system received only 1 update which was for the malicious software removal tool.