Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

DQ for gate bump?

I've seen a million bumps at the gate get 'left up' as they say 'it was at the gate'. Mountaineer race 4 tonight, the 3 horse breaks out during a stumble, takes 2 strides outward, bumping 2 horses, gets straightened out quickly and they put him down.

Did seem like the jock straightened out as soon as possible.

I'm shocked. Didn't have a bet. Just shocked.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

seems like this is an epidemic in WV.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ht=charlestown

Worst stewards in America, at both places. I have more complaints about the inconsistency at these places than you can shake a stick at.

With that said, i didnt' see the DQ you are talking about, just trusting your word that what you said happened, happened.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
seems like this is an epidemic in WV.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ht=charlestown

Worst stewards in America, at both places. I have more complaints about the inconsistency at these places than you can shake a stick at.

With that said, i didnt' see the DQ you are talking about, just trusting your word that what you said happened, happened.
Watch it please. Want your opinion. I dont bet MNR normally. Didn't tonight. Just happened to be on the TV and I noticed it. Weird.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Watch it please. Want your opinion. I dont bet MNR normally. Didn't tonight. Just happened to be on the TV and I noticed it. Weird.
Yikes, that's alarming. They just DQd something that happens multiple times a day at every track in America.

How can you bet this place if they're just going to pick and choose which horses to take down? AND, it wasn't even an inquiry, it was an objection that took forever to be lodged.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Mineshaft
Veteran

its a witch hunt
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Mineshaft
Veteran

watched replay i think the DQ was the right call
Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
watched replay i think the DQ was the right call
How about the first race head on out of the gate. Pinballing, lots of bumping and contact but no dq.

Was "no Dq" the right call here too?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
How about the first race head on out of the gate. Pinballing, lots of bumping and contact but no dq.

Was "no Dq" the right call here too?

did not watch the replay yet of the 1st race head on-will try and watch it tonite
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
did not watch the replay yet of the 1st race head on-will try and watch it tonite
I feel the reason for DQ's like the one discussed in the OP is because judges look at the individual incident without taking the entire body of work of all DQs and DQ standards. In a vacuum, this was interference, no question. BUT, that kind of interference gets "let go" in dozens and dozens of races per day at all tracks across the land. The standard is that they give you leeway out of the gate.

Also, in this particular incident, the jock on the horse who was drifting did a pretty good job at "Correcting" as soon as possible. I feel that judging would react more harshly to a jock who didn't make an attempt to correct, they didn't seem to take that into consideration.

I have a problem with a DQ like this because as a bettor, i don't want to have to worry about my horse having to maintain an exact straight line out of the gate. The nature of the game is that horses will not maintain an exact straight line all the time, there are incidents in at least half the races where someone bumps someone else out of the gate and 99.9% of them stay up.

Let them play, let them race, let contact happen because it will on occasion being this is a contact sport, but just pay the winners and let the other stuff work it out behind the scenes. If you randomly DQ horses on whims and then the next day the same thing happens and you let it go, the inconsistency is maddening, bettors don't want to be on the wrong end of both decisions, but that happens to a lot of bettors quite often.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
I feel the reason for DQ's like the one discussed in the OP is because judges look at the individual incident without taking the entire body of work of all DQs and DQ standards. In a vacuum, this was interference, no question. BUT, that kind of interference gets "let go" in dozens and dozens of races per day at all tracks across the land. The standard is that they give you leeway out of the gate.

Also, in this particular incident, the jock on the horse who was drifting did a pretty good job at "Correcting" as soon as possible. I feel that judging would react more harshly to a jock who didn't make an attempt to correct, they didn't seem to take that into consideration.

I have a problem with a DQ like this because as a bettor, i don't want to have to worry about my horse having to maintain an exact straight line out of the gate. The nature of the game is that horses will not maintain an exact straight line all the time, there are incidents in at least half the races where someone bumps someone else out of the gate and 99.9% of them stay up.

Let them play, let them race, let contact happen because it will on occasion being this is a contact sport, but just pay the winners and let the other stuff work it out behind the scenes. If you randomly DQ horses on whims and then the next day the same thing happens and you let it go, the inconsistency is maddening, bettors don't want to be on the wrong end of both decisions, but that happens to a lot of bettors quite often.
Without question, I totally agree. I've seen my horse get smashed as a victim by a horse who took 5 strides in the wrong direction out of the gate and there is never a mention.

That DQ was total hipocracy.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Having watched the replay, I think the DQ was a good call.

The breaking from post 1, significantly impeded at the 1entry(7/2 odds) and the 5(6/5 odds) and was able to then open a clear advantage into the first turn.

I expected to see a terrible call, but upon watching the replay, I think the call was good. I do not think there should be hard-fast rules against DQing breaking horses, because of odd cases such as this race.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer

The breaking from post 1, significantly impeded at the 1entry(7/2 odds) and the 5(6/5 odds) and was able to then open a clear advantage into the first turn.

I expected to see a terrible call, but upon watching the replay, I think the call was good. I do not think there should be hard-fast rules against DQing breaking horses, because of odd cases such as this race.
Many years ago, I would agree. However, after years of conditioning, I have been made to understand that unless the jock makes little effort to straighten out a horse, there is no DQ for a gate infraction. This horse took 2 strides outward and was straightened and pulled out from the beginning by the jock. It just seems so hypocritical.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:

Are you saying that if the and were 30-1 shots, then let it go?

The underlying problem here is that the "rules change" on DQs, depending on the point in the race, the odds of the horses, and the incredibly subjective "did (or did not) affect the outcome".

I get the fact that that the stewards have a difficult job, which is why I agree with SRU that the rules need to be changed to take these decisions out of the race results, and defer them to a later time. Let the stewards decide on DQs for purse money distribution or jockey infractions.

Pay the winners.....
Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

I could be wrong.

It certainly falls into the range of "what will the judges do this time?".
Old 09-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

As an individual call, with nothing else being a factor, it might be an ok call. However, the precedent is that they don't DQ this type of stuff. Bettors are more upset at the inconsistency than the actual DQ. This DQ is equivalent of NFL holding. Some holding penalties are called, but most are let go.

In order for this call to become part of a consistent thread of calls by these judges, they're going to have to make a lot more disqualifications....and the precedent is that DQs are fairly rare, and what's even more rare is a DQ on something that happened early in the race.