Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Dish or Direct?

I want to look into getting access to races via television instead of watching these little tiny figures move across my computer screen in fits and starts

Is TVG the only source other than Magna?

It appears that TVG is available on Direct TV or Dish TV--any advantages or disadvantages to either one of them?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cato
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Re: Dish or Direct?

Quote:
Originally posted by cato
I want to look into getting access to races via television instead of watching these little tiny figures move across my computer screen in fits and starts

Is TVG the only source other than Magna?

It appears that TVG is available on Direct TV or Dish TV--any advantages or disadvantages to either one of them?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cato
Cato,

I've had Dish network for a few years without problem. TVG is only source of racing on that network. (Fox sometimes simulcasts TVG sigs. but of course that is redundant).

Bill

Bill
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
ceejay

Cato,

I have DISH for TVG. It is a little cheaper than Direct, and in their $25 plan (which gets a little cheaper if you buy the whole year in advance). The biggest negative is that sometimes in moderate rains I lose signal. It is not as bad as the Cox commericals imply, but it can be annoying.

Note, I did keep Cox as well. I've been asking them for TVG for years.
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
levinmpa

I've never had Dish Network, but I've been a Directv subscriber for 6 years and I can tell that it blows cable away in both price and quality. The picture is crystal clear unlike cable with it's shadows and grainy picture. I mainly went to Directv for the sports programming. Mainly the NFL Sunday Ticket and the Major League Baseball package. These are available exclusively on Directv. TVG has been a nice addition. My only complaint with TVG is that they don't cover all of the tracks I like to play. Of course this is due to restrictions from Magna and others. If you have no other options, I would definitely go with Directv for you TVG access. You won't be disappointed.

ML
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Lightbulb Try this offer

If you don't mind spending some bucks....this is a good offer...from Dish Network

here is a link to it from Techtv's site

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/prod...625741,00.html
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Ceejay wrote:

"Note, I did keep Cox as well. I've been asking them for TVG for years."

So, Ceejay, do you think if I call Cox, that will put them over the edge?

Thanks, everyone.

Cato
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cato,

When I was in Moore, I had Dish Network and never had a problem, even in bad weather. Originally, Direct TV had TVG in a tier you had to pay extra for, but I don't know if that is still the case. I know DN has TVG in all the packages, even the most basic.

ceejay,

Why do you keep Cox? Just curious, I'm assuming you get the local channels through the Dish if you want them. I had Cox internet and phone, but no cable.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
ceejay

Quote:
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
cato,

Why do you keep Cox? Just curious, I'm assuming you get the local channels through the Dish if you want them. I had Cox internet and phone, but no cable.
Three reasons:
1. I want to keep the locals in HD (without a seperate tuner, antenna and AB switch). The downside of this is that the analog channels are horrible on my HD set.
2. The dish drops out too often in bad weather.
3. I like to be able to plug in TV's for analog without a converter box.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
ceejay

Quote:
Originally posted by cato

So, Ceejay, do you think if I call Cox, that will put them over the edge?
Maybe you have a little more pull than I do!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
The Hawk

One benefit of Directv is you get the Fox channels if you subscribe to the Sports Package, and the Fox Pittsburgh channel occasionally (might even say rarely, like a few times a month) will show the HRTV races on a given afternoon. That may be the case with Dish also, though I don't know, since I never had it.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #11
TRM

Hey Cato,

We just recently moved and hooked-up with Dish Network. It does have TVG on the regular channels, I believe it's the top 100 package. You will need to pay extra to get your local channels. (per TV) You can get the DVR feature, which is exactly like Tivo. Therefore you can replay all the races you want, or record whatever shows that interest you. It will run you about $60.00 a month or so....depending if you want HBO, Max, Showtime and how many receivers/rooms that you want furnished.

We have had Dish at our previous residence (5yrs) and had no problems with it, even in stormy weather.

Hope that helps a little!!
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
sq764
EIG

TRM, do you miss TRM like I do???
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #13
TRM

Absolutely Sq764. That was a great little track. I'm partial to playing small tracks especially TRM since it was in my backyard. I was hoping that a management company was going to buy it and turn it into a class 2 or even a training ground, but Lone Star put an end to that real quick. Oh Well.....there's still EVD and DeD..
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #14
JimG

I've owned DirecTv since November and have been thrilled with it. I enjoy sports so the Fox channels have been nice as well. Absolutely no problems with "rain fade" or bad weather interrupting the signal thus far. A big tree in the neighbors yard messes me up on local channels via satellite

Otherwise, I'm thrilled with it for TVG and replays from GP.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
fouroneone

Does anyone here live in NYC and get TVG?

How does it compare to Channels 71 and 73? Is it worth the extra $$ when the city already shows 10-15 tracks a day anyway?

Does TVG show Australia, S. Africa, or Europe?

Thanks for the help!

(PS - I would check the website, but it is blocked by my company)
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply