Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Cholly

BEL visit

I’m planning a visit to Belmont the last week of the Fall meet. Any recommendations on a hotel convenient to JFK airport and BEL? And while I’m asking…after that I’m moving to an apt. near the Fulton St. subway stop in lower Manhattan for a month—how to I get to Aqueduct from that location?
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
shouldacoulda

There aren't many in the way of hotels by the track that I know of. Better there than by Kennedy. Google shows this I would recommend staying on the east side of the Cross Island Parkway by A,B or C,

Can't help you with the subway to Aqueduct. Maybe The Little Guy would know. I never take the subway when I'm in NYC.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly
I’m planning a visit to Belmont the last week of the Fall meet. Any recommendations on a hotel convenient to JFK airport and BEL? And while I’m asking…after that I’m moving to an apt. near the Fulton St. subway stop in lower Manhattan for a month—how to I get to Aqueduct from that location?
there is also this new thing called www.airbnb.com worth checking out, but stick to the units with more than 2-3 reviews
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
affirmedny

Quote:
Take the "A" train (station is at Fulton & William St). Takes about an hour makes about 10 stops before you arrive.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
lamboguy

Garden City Hotel is about as good as it gets in that department
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
the little guy

Quote:

Extraordinarily easy to get to Aqueduct from downtown. You just get the Far Rockaway A Train ( there are two, the other goes to Lefferts, they split the stop before Aqueduct, so you don't want that one ) which comes about every fifteen minutes. There is actually a schedule, which I will post here, and it takes almost exactly 30 minutes from Fulton/Broadway Nassau. I suggest one of the back two cars, as you want to be closer to the exit near Aqueduct.

Here is the link to the schedule. Believe it or not, they pretty much stick to it, though I recommend getting there a couple of minutes earlier than scheduled. Worst case scenario, you wait less than 15 minutes regardless.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Brogan

Quote:
From the NYRA website:

Take the A Train/Far Rockaway line to the North Conduit Station. Courtesy bus service is available to the Admission Gate.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Cholly

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
ShenanigansGirl

Re: Hotels Near Belmont

Hi Cholly,

There are a few decent hotel options near Belmont, depending on your budget. From the high end -- the Garden City Hotel -- to the more budget-conscious -- The Floral Park Motor Lodge. And a lot of options in between. See below for the link from NYRA.com to Belmont and Aqueduct area hotels. The two tracks themselves are not far apart, so you should be able to find something suitable until you make your move to Fulton St. Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy your stay.

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/information/lodging/
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Cholly

WooHoo! Fly to NY today, Belmont tomorrow—I feel like a 5yo @ Christmas.

Any advice on seating? A good view of the track would be nice, but I’m more interested in easy access to the spots I see on the TV screen—paddock, winner’s circle, etc. Is the grandstand open to the weather (cold)?

Touts on food? Any place to get a good espresso? What about leaving—where’s the best place to catch a cab?

Suggestions on horses I should bet?...just kidding on that one—sending it all on Tagg’s horse in the first, concentrate on sightseeing the rest of the day.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
wisconsin

Quote:

Any advice on seating? A good view of the track would be nice, but I’m more interested in easy access to the spots I see on the TV screen—paddock, winner’s circle, etc. Is the grandstand open to the weather (cold)?

Touts on food? Any place to get a good espresso? What about leaving—where’s the best place to catch a cab?

Suggestions on horses I should bet?...just kidding on that one—sending it all on Tagg’s horse in the first, concentrate on sightseeing the rest of the day.
You will have a ball. Wide open. Easy access to everything in and around the park. I like the seats just above the apron. Lot's of wide open interior space. No tellers were on level 2 when I was there. Spent time in the paddock between races. Food was scarce, unless I was missing something. Just one open stand at the east end lower level grandstand...enjoy...and win, of course!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
the little guy

There are plenty of food options in the Heritage Club on the 3rd floor.

Dress warmly. It will be colder watching the races than elsewhere. The paddock area is the warmest.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Pretend its siberia, you can never have too many layers on, you can always take off a coat or something if you're too warm, but if you're cold, you're not going to have as good of a time. Have fun!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Cholly

Made my pilgrimage to The Mecca; I can die now in good stead with the Racing Gods. Tom Durkin’s opening tag says it all in just three words: “Beautiful Belmont Park”. Majestic beyond description, but also eerie in its emptiness…a facility built to hold some 50,000+ and only a few hundred souls knocking about (and on a no-big-deal Friday, the souls in that crowd are a colorful lot to say the least).

As promised, it was cold; warmed up to the low 50’s, but the wind made it seem half of that—but I heeded your advice and dressed warmly. My 33-1 shot in the 1st ran just like a 33-1 shot, but it dampened my spirits for no more than 5 minutes—promptly moved on to have a grand time!

When once more I retreat to the hinterlands, I will forever have this live and in color experience to flesh out those wee bits I see racing around the 13”screen. But for now, it’s on to our month in the City, which will include several trips to The Big A for yours personally. Thanks again to all for the suggestions and advice.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Grits

Quote:
Made my pilgrimage to The Mecca; I can die now in good stead with the Racing Gods. Tom Durkin’s opening tag says it all in just three words: “Beautiful Belmont Park”. Majestic beyond description, but also eerie in its emptiness…a facility built to hold some 50,000+ and only a few hundred souls knocking about (and on a no-big-deal Friday, the souls in that crowd are a colorful lot to say the least).

As promised, it was cold; warmed up to the low 50’s, but the wind made it seem half of that—but I heeded your advice and dressed warmly. My 33-1 shot in the 1st ran just like a 33-1 shot, but it dampened my spirits for no more than 5 minutes—promptly moved on to have a grand time!

When once more I retreat to the hinterlands, I will forever have this live and in color experience to flesh out those wee bits I see racing around the 13”screen. But for now, it’s on to our month in the City, which will include several trips to The Big A for yours personally. Thanks again to all for the suggestions and advice.
I'm so glad you enjoyed your day at Belmont. I love it, I never tire of being there. Not the track, itself, or the horses. To me, its THE CROWN JEWEL of North American Racetracks. It doesn't matter whether its a quiet Thursday with the grandstand holding few, or on Belmont Day with thousands, shoulder to shoulder.

Whether one steps onto the apron and looks upward at the huge grandstand, walks up to the top floor--looking out over the oval, the magnitude, the size of the dirt and turf courses, or whether one's staring at the beauty of the paddock, its 100 year old Pine, the Ivy covered wall, now red with its Fall color and its beautiful windows. Or, its clubhouse entrance where we're reminded of Woody's incredible achievements. Belmont gets into one's bloodstream, and remains there. And so does Tom Durkin's voice.

There's no racetrack, including Keeneland and Churchill, none as majestic as Belmont Park.

Again, I'm so glad you enjoyed your day, Cholly.

Last edited by Grits; 10-26-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply