Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
NJ Stinks

Anybody Know If TVG/NJBETS Is Taking Bets On Royal Ascot Tomorrow?

I'm betting no.

Very lame that we can't bet foreign races so far like TVG account holders in other states.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
I'm betting no.

Very lame that we can't bet foreign races so far like TVG account holders in other states.
It's not against the law or anything. This is just an oversight on TVG's part, of which I'm seeing many so far.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
iceknight

Quote:
I'm betting no.

yes, it is very lame and I really hate TVG. Signed up with them recently but going to dump them fairly soon. Of course, I have an older account with Xpressbet so I used it.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
It's not against the law or anything. This is just an oversight on TVG's part, of which I'm seeing many so far.
This is not the fault or oversight of TVG. The problem is New Jersey. Of course TVG wants us to be able to bet on these foreign races. Why wouldn't they?

I made inquiries before Cheltenham. I found out that NJBETS has it's offices at Monmouth Park. I called Monmouth and found out that NJBETS needs to enter contracts with whoever it has the rights to the English and Irish races. I was told that I should be patient - it wasn't something that can be done immediately but it will be done.

Cheltenham ran the Gold Cup in March. It's June. Three months have come and gone. Meanwhile TVG continues to provide free PP's to English and Irish races daily. And TVG takes bets on these races daily. But not if you are a TVG customer living in NJ.

I'm 63. I don't need some yahoo working for Monmouth Park or the State of New Jersey deciding whether or not I can bet Royal Ascot. How did this country ever get so screwed up with the gambling? Pathetic.

In a couple months I'll be back in London and walk into a Coral or William Hill at around 6:00pm. There on the TV's will be live coverage of the first race at Monmouth. And in September bookmakers there will take bets on the NFL. In between every week bets will be offered on golf tournaments around the world.

Most people would acknowledge that New Jersey has been the second most gambling-friendly state behind Nevada. If we are #2, how pathetic is every other state?

Freedom my ass.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
horses4courses

Very frustrating for you.

Console yourself with this thought, though.
In the final race at Ascot today, I would love to bet Wesley Ward's 2yo
Ogermeister at the 7-1 odds available in the UK.
I would bet him win/place (7-5 guaranteed on the wps).

He will be closer to 3-1 in the US pool, so I wouldn't touch it here.
NJ, NY, Calif....wouldn't matter....it's a race to pass.

Wesley Ward gets his 2 year olds so forward early on. Should run huge.
Joel Rosario is the best rider in the world right now, too.
Be nice to see him win.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
affirmedny

Quote:
This is not the fault or oversight of TVG. The problem is New Jersey. Of course TVG wants us to be able to bet on these foreign races. Why wouldn't they?

I made inquiries before Cheltenham. I found out that NJBETS has it's offices at Monmouth Park. I called Monmouth and found out that NJBETS needs to enter contracts with whoever it has the rights to the English and Irish races. I was told that I should be patient - it wasn't something that can be done immediately but it will be done.

Cheltenham ran the Gold Cup in March. It's June. Three months have come and gone. Meanwhile TVG continues to provide free PP's to English and Irish races daily. And TVG takes bets on these races daily. But not if you are a TVG customer living in NJ.

I'm 63. I don't need some yahoo working for Monmouth Park or the State of New Jersey deciding whether or not I can bet Royal Ascot. How did this country ever get so screwed up with the gambling? Pathetic.

In a couple months I'll be back in London and walk into a Coral or William Hill at around 6:00pm. There on the TV's will be live coverage of the first race at Monmouth. And in September bookmakers there will take bets on the NFL. In between every week bets will be offered on golf tournaments around the world.

Most people would acknowledge that New Jersey has been the second most gambling-friendly state behind Nevada. If we are #2, how pathetic is every other state?

Freedom my ass.
I believe you, but why am I able to bet Japan and Australia if that's the case? I find it hard to believe NJBETS has an agreement with Japan. Also why doesn't TVG put some pressure on NJBETS to get this done? Considering all the time they spent promoting this meet you'd have to think they think the races are worth carrying. I share your frustration with NJ, many times I've had to call the mutuel dept to point out they're not accepting bets that are printed in the program.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Very frustrating for you.
All I can say is I envy you living in Lake Tahoe.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
I believe you, but why am I able to bet Japan and Australia if that's the case? I find it hard to believe NJBETS has an agreement with Japan. Also why doesn't TVG put some pressure on NJBETS to get this done? Considering all the time they spent promoting this meet you'd have to think they think the races are worth carrying. I share your frustration with NJ, many times I've had to call the mutuel dept to point out they're not accepting bets that are printed in the program.
I don't know about Japan but NJBETS was taking bets on Australian races before NJBETS turned the operation over to TVG. So I guess the necessary Aussie contracts were already in place when TVG got involved.

As for TVG putting pressure on NJBETS, I think it may have something to do with TVG just being happy they landed a monopoly in NJ and they don't want to rock the boat. Also, the first couple times I called TVG about not being able to bet English and Irish tracks, the person I speaking to thought I was wrong. These TVG employees did not even realize NJ residents could not bet the UK. Why? Because the UK tracks were listed on TVG/NJBETS's website under Favorite Tracks and All Tracks. One must actually click on GB1 at the TVG/NJBETS website to learn that there are "No races today".

Overall, I have been happy with TVG. I save money every time I make a deposit through my checking account and that's huge since I don't live near a NJ track or OTB. And when I've called TVG, the person on the other end provided great customer service.

In the end it comes down to this. NJBETS has no competition so they have no incentive to do anything. It's like the way cable companies treated customers when they had no competition. If I wasn't rooting for Monmouth Park and NJ racing to survive and thrive, I would stop betting their races tomorrow. But I am rooting for horseracing in NJ so I won't stop betting NJ races tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
horses4courses

Quote:
All I can say is I envy you living in Lake Tahoe.
Thanks.
It's a hard place not to like.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
wonatthewire1

Quote:
I don't know about Japan but NJBETS was taking bets on Australian races before NJBETS turned the operation over to TVG. So I guess the necessary Aussie contracts were already in place when TVG got involved.

As for TVG putting pressure on NJBETS, I think it may have something to do with TVG just being happy they landed a monopoly in NJ and they don't want to rock the boat. Also, the first couple times I called TVG about not being able to bet English and Irish tracks, the person I speaking to thought I was wrong. These TVG employees did not even realize NJ residents could not bet the UK. Why? Because the UK tracks were listed on TVG/NJBETS's website under Favorite Tracks and All Tracks. One must actually click on GB1 at the TVG/NJBETS website to learn that there are "No races today".

Overall, I have been happy with TVG. I save money every time I make a deposit through my checking account and that's huge since I don't live near a NJ track or OTB. And when I've called TVG, the person on the other end provided great customer service.

In the end it comes down to this. NJBETS has no competition so they have no incentive to do anything. It's like the way cable companies treated customers when they had no competition. If I wasn't rooting for Monmouth Park and NJ racing to survive and thrive, I would stop betting their races tomorrow. But I am rooting for horseracing in NJ so I won't stop betting NJ races tomorrow.

Back about 10 years ago when I would go to the Meadowlands for simulcasting, they took UK on Saturdays. Probably just didn't renew
Consider this though, NJ has to be a relatively large market for horseplayers for TVG to want to have the business. So there might be a case if enough people pressure NJBETS
wonatthewire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
lsosa54

For the ist time since the NJ Bets => TVG conversion, I got asked to buy a $3 video pass to access live video for BHP? Anyone else? Refused and went to Calracing.

I am an NJ resident so have no other options.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54
For the ist time since the NJ Bets => TVG conversion, I got asked to buy a $3 video pass to access live video for BHP? Anyone else? Refused and went to Calracing.

I am an NJ resident so have no other options.
I live in Central NJ and yes, it happened to me just after they eliminated their wager fees recently (but never mentioned they added the video access fee of $3 which 4NJBets never had) and I had a long conversation with TVG manager. I posted about in another thread. It was $3 to get more video access because I used up my 10 measly hours. You have to bet at least $25 to gain 1 more video hour. The video FAQ on their site descibes what a 'video hour' is based on the size of the video screen you select. You have to wait until the 1st of the month before they replenish the 10 free hours. Of course, they can do what they want since it's a monopoly in NJ.

I would assume that most NJ customers would immediately drop TVG if other ADWs were allowed. And TVG has the worst rebates short of having no rebates at all. You have to bet $2500 for a $5 rebate! That's 1/5 of 1%. Sorry for the rant, but your post got me going. I better stop here.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
lsosa54

I hear you on that. I don't have much time to bet right now, usually a couple of hours Sat and Sun. It's not the $3, it's just the principle.

I'll tell you that Calracing's video is free and so is NYRA's, and both are superior to any of TVG's video, whatever size you choose.

Luckily, that's all I play, but the NJ situation just plain sucks. Not much we can do.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I still place my action with a gentlemen bookmaker.

No bs, a free lunch on Saturdays and a free drink on Tuesday night, settlement day.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54
I hear you on that. I don't have much time to bet right now, usually a couple of hours Sat and Sun. It's not the $3, it's just the principle.

I'll tell you that Calracing's video is free and so is NYRA's, and both are superior to any of TVG's video, whatever size you choose.

Luckily, that's all I play, but the NJ situation just plain sucks. Not much we can do.
I know about Calracing's free video and NYRA's free AUDIO, but can you please provide a link to watch NYRA's free VIDEO for NJ residents.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply