Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > PaceAdvantage Arlington Outing 2016 - Sat July 23d

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #61
ArlJim78

PA Name: ArlJim78
Real Name (First and/or last): Jim
Attendance - Racing - yes
Friday: Yes
Saturday: Arlington -Yes
Sunday: Arlington / Maybe
Attendance - dinner Saturday night-yes
Prefer near AP - yes
Prefer downtown - No
Ball game: - No
Need hotel room (willing to consider group rate): No
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #62
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
Not 100% sure yet. Chris thinks he can get us a private area on Saturday. We may play Fri/Sun a little more loosely - pick a place to hang out. But stay tuned - working on it (and open to suggestions).

ArlJim - Dont think I had you on my list - are you planning to attend all 3 days? Dinner Sat night? Just let me know. Thx!
What about the Terrace Cafe for Friday. It's located outside at the west end of the grandstand near the finish line. It has tables for four with umbrellas to keep the sun off. A table costs $30.00 divided among four ($7.50 each). Don't confuse this with the large tents located near the clubhouse turn. These are in front of the grandstand.
http://www.arlingtonpark.com/visit/dining-options

There are two other (free) options you may want to consider. At the west end of the grandstand, just after you enter the facility there is an area with several tables. I think there may be five to eight tables seating four each. This area has betting machines, but if you wish to use a teller there is a walk of maybe 100 feet. There are TV's to watch the races. If you prefer to watch them live, it is just a few steps to go outside and do so.

The other option is the tables located under the overhang of the grandstand. In this case there are no tv's but you do have the infield Jumbotrons.

From both you can easily access the food court for refreshments. There is also a more limited station for food near the west end of the grandstand.
In the case of both the inside seating and the tables under the overhang, to the best of my knowledge, there are no reservations. We would have to have two or three people show up early (1PM?) to save tables.

Caveat: This information is based on what I found online and on my personal experience. My friends and I always go on Thursday and the rules may be different on weekends.

JD, I'm sure most of what I said above is already familiar to you and many others. I included the details for the benefit of those who have not previously been to Arlington.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #63
jdhanover

Thx MostPost. Actually I am not sure about the Terrace Cafe on Fridays (if everyone doesn't mind the extra couple of $ that may be the best option if it is available)...nor how far in advance we would need to be there Friday to grab some tables.

I am sure others who know will chime in here. I can call the track and find out more as well.

As for dinner, my wife suggested the following as moderate cost options for dinner. I do want to be considerate of those who may not want to spend too much on dinner (open to other suggestions and comments on these):

[a] Jameson's - Decent food, moderate prices, I'm pretty sure they could handle a group.
[b] On Euclid there isn't much, Johnny's Kitchen & Tap could work, but it's farther. Jameson's is right off 53.
[c] Portillo's, while not fancy, has the consummate chicago Italian beef and sausage as well as burgers and I'm pretty sure they serve beer and wine. Also very close to 53 on Dundee.
[d] Up Rand Rd in Deer Park is Biaggi's, they could probably give you space. [e] Also Lou Malnati's inBuffalo Grove, right off Lake Cook, easy to find. Great Chicago pizza as well as other Italian food.

Last edited by jdhanover; 05-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #64
jdhanover

FYI - was at Arlington for a bit this afternoon with Chris (Tbwinner) - we have 4 boxes for Saturday - a great set-up! Chris is going to talk to someone at the track about Fri/Sun. We'll figure it out.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #65
Hanger

I remember when another forum used to have get togethers. They were always fun times. I wish you all a great weekend here in Chicago.
Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #66
stuball

Countdown

less than a month to go ....
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
jdhanover

Yes, indeed!!!!

Any further dinner thoughts? Probably too early to book the reservation but we should have a sense of what we want to do.

I few posts back are some suggestions....open to others

Jon
Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #68
jdhanover

Was at Arlington with my daughter (a better handicapper than I - she picked a 2 horse exacta box in each race for $1 each way...bet $12 total, hit one exacta...paid $90. THAT is good ROI!!!)

Hung out with Chris and he had Dave Zenner (sp?) from Arlington stop by. Real nice guy and they are excited about the outing as well. We will have passes at the Will Call window on Friday (and we will have passes for Sat/Sun). And he will have a few AP folks swing by to talk to the group. Details when we get close.

Chris and I decided that Maggianos in Schaumburg (not far from the track) is our best bet for dinner. I will get us reservations when our numbers firm up.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #69
tbwinner

Quote:
Was at Arlington with my daughter (a better handicapper than I - she picked a 2 horse exacta box in each race for $1 each way...bet $12 total, hit one exacta...paid $90. THAT is good ROI!!!)
I can confirm this - her big exacta in the 7th is what knocked me out of my pick 4!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #70
jdhanover

All you had to do was ask for her picks...she had them for the whole day after the first race we were there for.

Sorry about the P4 though. Good luck tommorrow with you runner
Old 06-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #71
CincyHorseplayer

PA Name:Cincyhorseplayer
Real Name (First and/or last):Rod Denton
Attendance - Racing-yes
Friday: neither
Saturday: Arlington
Sunday: none
Attendance - dinner Saturday night-yes

Prefer near AP-doesn't matter
Prefer downtown-see above
Ball game:no
Need hotel room (willing to consider group rate): No

Just got done mapquesting and planning the details with Capper Al.Can't wait to meet you all.These days I hate all human beings that aren't horseplayers so this should be fun!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #72
jdhanover

Excellent Rod, looking forward to meeting you as well.

FYI - dinner will be near the track (much easier logistically)
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #73
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

PA Name: pktruckdriver
Real Name (First and/or last): Patrick Kane
Attendance - Racing Yes
Friday: Maywood / Arlington / neither AP
Saturday: Arlington / none AP
Sunday: Arlington / none AP
Attendance - dinner Saturday night Yes
Yes / No
Prefer near AP Yes
Prefer downtown No
Ball game: yes / no (indicate which day - Friday / Saturday / Sunday)
Need hotel room (willing to consider group rate): Yes / No YES horsemen motel will be fine for me or group rate near track

Thank you
Patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #74
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Excellent Rod, looking forward to meeting you as well.

FYI - dinner will be near the track (much easier logistically)
Me too.My quote above was deduced from having conversations with the racing form guy in my neighborhood.He said he had friends that used to tell him they were sick of hearing him talk horses and he finally said "F You"!!I told him I had similar experiences and we both turned that inward passion into an outward rebellion aginst all non horseplayers!

Would like to really establish some cameraderie so that I can show up at any track in the country and have allies.Looking forward to it each day as it gets closer.Like a kid the night before a vacation.Seriously.

BTW-what is the plan after dinner and what was going on with that turf last Saturday?

Last edited by CincyHorseplayer; 06-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #75
jdhanover

No set plans after dinner. I think guys can figure that out on their own. I suspect that some will cal it a night; maybe other want to go do something else.

I'll likely be calling it a night after dinner. Thinking dinner reservations will be around 7. Doubt we leave before 9:30

Agree - the anticipation is something, aint it?

Oh, and the attendance list is up a few from the list I posted.