Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,648
Rep Power: 35 thaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Those reports see wide circulation. Everyone in racing has read them and knows this to be the case. It isn't indication of being brought back to racing prior to proper healing of a previous serious injury. Instead, it's the beginning stages of the future fracture.

The problem is detection. If the horse is showing no signs of lameness, then it can get past the trainer, the trainer's vet, and the state vet. This isn't to say that there aren't trainers who will overlook or cover up signs of lameness, but most are conscientious.
The problem isn't "detection"...the problem is that the trainers aren't punished enough when they show a blatant disregard for the instituted medication laws of this game. If the problem was "detection"...then illegal substances like cobra venom and frog juice wouldn't get the attention that they've gotten in recent years. And it isn't just the lesser-known trainers at the minor tracks who indulge in the use of these powerful painkillers, whose sole purpose is to numb these unfortunate horses to the injuries that they are forced to race with.

"Cobra venom is a therapeutic", declared the internationally well-known trainer Patrick Biancone...when veils of cobra venom were discovered in his barn in 2007. His training licence was suspended, but it was later reinstated by the KHRA...because he had supposedly "served his time". "Serving his time" means that a criminal is allowed to return to "society at large" after paying his debt to society...it doesn't mean that he gets to return to the profession that he already disgraced by his prior offences. When a doctor gets imprisoned for intentionally mistreating his patients, he gets released after "serving his time"...but he isn't allowed to return to practicing medicine. But these are mere "technicalities", as far as horseracing is concerned...and the game's "integrity" problems are allowed to persist. And we are supposed to believe that the business interests aren't placed ahead of the horses' safety in this game.
__________________
"If someone gave away your body to the first man he met, you would be indignant. But yet you trust your mind to the chance comer, and allow it to be disturbed and confounded if he reviles you. Are you not ashamed to do so?"
-- Epictetus, Enchiridion 28

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-03-2018 at 02:50 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
AltonKelsey
Registered User
 
AltonKelsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 979
Rep Power: 2 AltonKelsey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Thank you.

There are many in the business who take great care of the horses.

There's a sickening story with photos making its round on FB about the ass**** who left a dog chained to the front porch in this weather and it was found frozen to death. Do we condemn all dog owners?
no, but I condemn the authorities for not invoking the death penalty in cases like that
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
Gasser57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0 Gasser57 is on a distinguished road
So as many here may already know, it looks like the Jockey Club and NTRA are perhaps the leading advocates for horse and jockey safety. I found the Jockey Club's Equine Injury Database - http://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?se...vocacy&area=10 - and found some interesting info. While all tracks have the opportunity to participate and make their data available, most don't even though it's free.

Here's NTRA's map of tracks that are Safety and Integrity accredited according to their standards - https://www.ntra.com/safety-integrit...itedfacilities.

A quick comparison suggests most of those who report on the injury database are also NTRA accredited, although Churchill Downs is a notable exception. Also, it doesn't appear that the tracks on these lists necessarily have the lowest number of fatalities. For instance, Del Mar had over 3 per 1,000 starts last year - almost twice as many as when the database was started in '09 and about double the average for all the reporting tracks.

When time permits, I'm going to use these resources as a starting point to see if I can create some sort of green/yellow/red list that might provide those like myself who are unfamiliar with a track's safety record with some reference in case they want to steer clear of tracks with poor safety standards.

Last edited by Gasser57; 01-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
Redboard
$2 Showbettor
 
Redboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,284
Rep Power: 6 Redboard is on a distinguished road
NYRA has a website where they log all of their equine injuries.

https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/

In my opinion, the NYRA tracks (Belmont, Saratoga & Aqueduct) care the most about this issue. These three tracks have the highest purses and the most vet scratches.

All tracks want to have full fields, that brings in the betting money. A track offering a $100 purse is not going to get as many potential starters as a track offering $100k purses. Therefore, the former isn't going to be as "picky" as the tracks offering higher purses.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
Gasser57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0 Gasser57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
NYRA has a website where they log all of their equine injuries.

https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/

In my opinion, the NYRA tracks (Belmont, Saratoga & Aqueduct) care the most about this issue. These three tracks have the highest purses and the most vet scratches.

All tracks want to have full fields, that brings in the betting money. A track offering a $100 purse is not going to get as many potential starters as a track offering $100k purses. Therefore, the former isn't going to be as "picky" as the tracks offering higher purses.
Thanks Redboard - that's a helpful link. Woodbine also has a real low fatality rate, so maybe the Canadians are on to something. Interestingly, as a group the larger California tracks have a higher than average rate.
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
Fager Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,340
Rep Power: 13 Fager Fan will become famous soon enoughFager Fan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The problem isn't "detection"...the problem is that the trainers aren't punished enough when they show a blatant disregard for the instituted medication laws of this game. If the problem was "detection"...then illegal substances like cobra venom and frog juice wouldn't get the attention that they've gotten in recent years. And it isn't just the lesser-known trainers at the minor tracks who indulge in the use of these powerful painkillers, whose sole purpose is to numb these unfortunate horses to the injuries that they are forced to race with.

"Cobra venom is a therapeutic", declared the internationally well-known trainer Patrick Biancone...when veils of cobra venom were discovered in his barn in 2007. His training licence was suspended, but it was later reinstated by the KHRA...because he had supposedly "served his time". "Serving his time" means that a criminal is allowed to return to "society at large" after paying his debt to society...it doesn't mean that he gets to return to the profession that he already disgraced by his prior offences. When a doctor gets imprisoned for intentionally mistreating his patients, he gets released after "serving his time"...but he isn't allowed to return to practicing medicine. But these are mere "technicalities", as far as horseracing is concerned...and the game's "integrity" problems are allowed to persist. And we are supposed to believe that the business interests aren't placed ahead of the horses' safety in this game.
You think pointing out the one case of cobra venom being found in someone's barn in the past 10 years explains the break down rate of today's horses and the microfractures that (understandably) are usually the cause of the weakened bone breaking? And tells us that the sport as a whole doesn't give a damn about the horses? Some don't, but the majority do.

Look at all the people screaming for poor ol' Ron Ellis. I have had no use for the CHRB ever since they let Baffert and all the other trainers off the hook for their horses dropping dead, but here the CHRB gives a decent punishment and people want to defend Ellis. So the authorities in this game are rather damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Fager Fan is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
JustRalph
Disgruntled Horseplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 39,817
Rep Power: 59 JustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really nice
Fan advocacy has been so successful in the past...........let’s start..........
__________________
So tired of winning
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Gasser57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0 Gasser57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Fan advocacy has been so successful in the past...........let’s start..........
Has there ever been an organized fan effort to boycott tracks, trainers, breeders, and owners that have a record of disregarding the health of horses?
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
rastajenk
Just Deplorable
 
rastajenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lebanon, Ohio
Posts: 6,123
Rep Power: 21 rastajenk will become famous soon enough
I would hope not, since proving such a thing would be about impossible. Not that that matters to sjw's, even those within the realm of racing.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
Denny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0 Denny will become famous soon enough
How about all the horses that died at Saratoga last year.

Believe it was 16 in 6 weeks. Way above averages.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Gasser57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0 Gasser57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I would hope not, since proving such a thing would be about impossible. Not that that matters to sjw's, even those within the realm of racing.
Not if it’s a matter of public record. And don’t label those of us who care about the horses “sjw’s”.
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
JustRalph
Disgruntled Horseplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 39,817
Rep Power: 59 JustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser57 View Post
Has there ever been an organized fan effort to boycott tracks, trainers, breeders, and owners that have a record of disregarding the health of horses?
Do a search for …boycott....on this board. The tracks don’t care even when boycotted.
__________________
So tired of winning
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #28
SaratogaSteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 11 SaratogaSteve is on a distinguished road
I find this thread, and similar ones here, hilarious. Most folks here don't care about the horseflesh - look at the San Luis Rey thread for all you need to know. This thread has more posts than it.
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2018, 01:41 AM   #29
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,648
Rep Power: 35 thaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve View Post
I find this thread, and similar ones here, hilarious. Most folks here don't care about the horseflesh - look at the San Luis Rey thread for all you need to know. This thread has more posts than it.
Since you yourself have chosen to post here without having first posted in the San Louis Rey thread...the assumption must be made that YOU don't care about the horseflesh, either. Right?
__________________
"If someone gave away your body to the first man he met, you would be indignant. But yet you trust your mind to the chance comer, and allow it to be disturbed and confounded if he reviles you. Are you not ashamed to do so?"
-- Epictetus, Enchiridion 28
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2018, 01:51 AM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 39,990
Rep Power: 59 cj is a jewel in the roughcj is a jewel in the roughcj is a jewel in the roughcj is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve View Post
I find this thread, and similar ones here, hilarious. Most folks here don't care about the horseflesh - look at the San Luis Rey thread for all you need to know. This thread has more posts than it.
I don't remember if I posted in that thread or not. In my case that sure doesn't mean I don't care and didn't help. I'm sure there are others here in that situation.

There isn't a whole lot most people can do other than give money. Some people can't or won't do that. In a game where we pay 20 cents on the dollar to play, it really isn't the bettors job to police how horse's are treated. There are people in actual paid positions to do that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which book(s) would you recommend to a Newbie" Up to 3
Picking Winners: A Horseplayer's Guide by Andrew Beyer 1994 - 22.45%
22 Votes
Betting on Horse Racing For Dummies by Richard Eng - 6.12%
6 Votes
The Winning Horseplayer by Andrew Beyer 2007 - 8.16%
8 Votes
Betting Thoroughbreds by Steven Davidovitz and Andrew Beyer 1997 - 15.31%
15 Votes
Exotic Betting by Steven Crist 2006 - 13.27%
13 Votes
Bet With the Best by Andrew Beyer and Steve Davidowitz 2001 - 4.08%
4 Votes
Getting the Best of It by David Sklansky 1997 - 2.04%
2 Votes
How to WIN the PICK 6 by Steven Kolb 2009 - 1.02%
1 Vote
Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz and Steven Crist 2009 - 9.18%
9 Votes
Finding The Hidden Horse: Tips, tricks, angles and secrets by William Davidson 2017 - 1.02%
1 Vote
The Blood-Horse Authoritative Guide to Betting Thorougbreds by the Blood-Horse staff 2005 - 1.02%
1 Vote
Profitable Horse Race Betting Using Stock Market Techniques by Aaron Ainslie and Woodbine Mike 2015 - 0%
0 Votes
Secrets of Professional Turf Betting by Robert L Bacon 1952 - 1.02%
1 Vote
Commonsense Betting by Dick Mitchell 1995 - 7.14%
7 Votes
Overlay, Overlay by Bill Heller 2004 - 0%
0 Votes
Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer 1990 - 15.31%
15 Votes
Handicapping 101 by Brad Free 2004 - 14.29%
14 Votes
Complete Idiot's Guide to Betting on Horses by Sharon B. Smith 1998 - 0%
0 Votes
Beyer on Speed by Andrew Beyer 2012 - 12.24%
12 Votes
Trifecta: The Business of Betting Thoroughbreds by Bobby Zen 2012 - 0%
0 Votes
Finding an Edge: A 21st century book by Ron Loftus 2014 - 1.02%
1 Vote
Winning without Thinking by Nick Mordin 2002 - 3.06%
3 Votes
Six Secrets of Successful Bettors by Frank R. Scatoni and Peter Thomas Fornatale 2005 - 10.20%
10 Votes
Money Secrets At The Racetrack Paperback by Barry Meadow 2000 - 17.35%
17 Votes
Smarter Bets - The Exacta Way by Keith Hoffman 2013 - 0%
0 Votes
Betting Maidens and 2-Year-Olds by Dan Illman 2005 - 1.02%
1 Vote
Winning Horseracing Handicapping by Chuck Badone 1999 - 1.02%
1 Vote
The Power of Early Speed by Steve Klein 2005 - 4.08%
4 Votes
Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer 2000 - 25.51%
25 Votes
None, just go to the track. - 4.08%
4 Votes
None, all are outdated - 8.16%
8 Votes
Other (please specify) - 20.41%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 98
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2017 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.