PDA

View Full Version : what would you want to see in a handicapper's exposition?

Capper Al
12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
After spending a couple of hundred dollars on DRF's 2007 and 2009 DvDs and several hours watching, here's a few suggestions.

Make a prerequisit reading list: Handicapping 101 and Best of Thoroughbred Handicapping I would do.
Use PowerPoints with sample PPs during the discussion.
Have the guest example what works for them.
More detailed wagering examples with charts like Quirin does in his book, Winning at the Races, showing simulations of a 1,000 or more races.
Have guest handicapper show a sample race or two for the following day telling us who they like and why with markings or their program or computer printout

What would you like to see?

jerry-g
12-14-2012, 01:03 PM
What I think is lacking with most books, programs, etc. is
what the author thinks I should be able to do once I read
the information. For instance, should I be able to make a
profit short term or long term? Should my bankroll increase
on a daily basis?

thaskalos
12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I would like to see the guest expert explain how his game has evolved in recent years...and what his playing philosophy is now.

Then I'd like him to handicap a race or two in advance...taking us step-by-step as he explains his thinking process while analyzing the horses in the race. He doesn't have to explain how he calculates his speed/pace figures, or provide us with the esoteric part of his work -- like how he creates power ratings or probability estimates for the horses involved -- but he should have these ratings listed on the PP page...so the audience could follow along as he makes his final decisions.

Then, he should allow us to look over his shoulder as he goes to the betting window...where we get to witness the all-important aspect of transforming a handicapping opinion into a wager.

And finally, the expert should participate in a reasonable question and answer period...where he can answer any remaining questions the audience might have.

The premium should not be on the handicapping "theorists", who can explain everything...AFTER the fact.

It should be on the two-fisted BETTORS...who can explain what they do BEFORE the race has gone off.

Why do I say "two-fisted bettors"?

Because there is added stress involved when serious bets are made...and I'd like to know how players cope with that too. It's easy to maintain your composure when you are betting $10-$15 a race...

cj
12-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Because there is added stress involved when serious bets are made...and I'd like to know how players cope with that too. It's easy to maintain your composure when you are betting $10-$15 a race...

Not if you have $50 to your name...its all relative.

thaskalos
12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Not if you have $50 to your name...its all relative.

Cj...the game is different when you play it for higher stakes.

If you have $50 to your name...then you should go buy groceries instead of playing horses.

One of the game's greatest misconceptions is that you can manage a tiny bankroll as easily as you can a large one.

cj
12-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Cj...the game is different when you play it for higher stakes.

If you have $50 to your name...then you should go buy groceries instead of playing horses.

One of the game's greatest misconceptions is that you can manage a tiny bankroll as easily as you can a large one.

I was just saying that somebody betting with both hands can be bad too, if he happens to have a lot of money. I've seen it many times. I've seen guys betting $500 a race that are awful bettors. Like I said, it is all relative.

thaskalos
12-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I was just saying that somebody betting with both hands can be bad too, if he happens to have a lot of money. I've seen it many times. I've seen guys betting $500 a race that are awful bettors. Like I said, it is all relative.

I agree...and all I am saying is, if I had a choice between two experts to listen to...I would pay to hear the one who is a two-fisted bettor.

I've had my fill of the "theorists"...

DeltaLover
12-14-2012, 03:00 PM

I do not agree.

Somebody who is betting seriously and effectively for long time and still is betting small amounts per race is not in the same league as someone with similar qualifications who bets multiple amounts.

Bet size matters a lot.

A 'recreational' (whatever this means) bettor who perceives the racing as a hobby (in person I do not now anyone but in this site appear to exist several) is not comparable with someone who bets enough to get hurt.

cj
12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree...and all I am saying is, if I had a choice between two experts to listen to...I would pay to hear the one who is a two-fisted bettor.

I've had my fill of the "theorists"...

Yeah, me too.

MightBeSosa
12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Fact is, anyone who would appear at an expo thinks they can make more doing that than betting.

Those that can ,do.

Overlay
12-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Fact is, anyone who would appear at an expo thinks they can make more doing that than betting.
Because the bulk of methodologies operate on a "pick-the-winner" approach -- either through a process of elimination through the application of a series of rules, or by developing a hierarchy of the field based on numerical ratings of some kind, with no correlation to betting value -- that ends up getting overbet into unprofitability and obsolescence.

thaskalos
12-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Those that can ,do.

I didn't attend the handicapping expos live...but I bought the audio cassettes of one, and the DVDs of the other. I didn't feel that ANY of the speakers earned the fee that they were paid to be there.

Robert Fischer
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
What would you like to see?

i can't speak for myself, but i think the general public wants to feel good from a handicapper's expo

whether it's enjoying the things they love about this game, or learn about some ways to leverage a low risk into a large reward gamble, or feeling more confident in their approach, or to be rewarded with some sort of status(such as a thread or icon that expo attendees could participate with..). Feel good, and celebrate their expectations.