PDA

View Full Version : "Behind the Silks with Tim Thornton" episode 5 "The White Oak"

Jessica Pacheco
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Episode 5 now available!

"The White Oak"
In episode 5, Tim recaps his races from Prairie State Festival Day. He also takes us through a recent scary moment aboard the Louie Roussel III trained Triple Check, that results in a trip to the stewards office. The "Triple Check Incident" causes Tim to reflect back on a similar, but even more dramatic experience aboard Strategic Sun in 2006.

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/newsvideosblogs/behind-silks (http://www.arlingtonpark.com/newsvideosblogs/behind-silks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJ-pD4ux1Y&feature=plcp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJ-pD4ux1Y&feature=plcp)

Hope you like it and, as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Jessica

sammy the sage
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
How about THIS problem as well...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94680

You know...the things THAT actually MATTER to people laying down their cash...

PhantomOnTour
06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Lighten up Sammy

Jessica is a track handicapper/host and what you are asking about isn't her department.

sammy the sage
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Lighten up Sammy

Jessica is a track handicapper/host and what you are asking about isn't her department.

Host ='s public relations...and it ain't all fluff...having a business myself...you HAVE TO address problems...

She's put herself out publically representing the track...well said employer HAS problems that NEED to be addressed...if she's a good employee...she'll bring to their attention...

There's an old saying...if you can't stand the heat...stay outta the kitchen.

mannyberrios
06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you once again, Jessica

Jessica Pacheco
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Thank you once again, Jessica

You are very welcome, glad you enjoyed it!

Zydeco
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
thanks Jessica...enjoying the series.

Jessica Pacheco
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Host ='s public relations...and it ain't all fluff...having a business myself...you HAVE TO address problems...

She's put herself out publically representing the track...well said employer HAS problems that NEED to be addressed...if she's a good employee...she'll bring to their attention...

There's an old saying...if you can't stand the heat...stay outta the kitchen.

As far as the timers at AP:

Everybody is aware of the problem and there has been progress made on getting the problem resolved.

Your PA friends are at AP this weekend for a get together and I'm sure they will do their best to get it resolved also.

There really is not a lot I can do. It is most definitely not my department.

What I am trying to do is to create something with "Behind the Silks" that encourages new fans, and old ones, and makes the sport interesting, fun, and exciting. THAT is my department. ;)

Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow at AP!

Jessica Pacheco
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
thanks Jessica...enjoying the series.

That's great to hear - Thanks for watching! :)

5k-claim
06-22-2012, 11:05 PM

There's an old saying...if you can't stand the heat...stay outta the kitchen.Not asking for details or specifics, but can you say what general type of business you have? I think I am having a hard time guessing from your post.

IrishRail76
06-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi Jessica. I enjoy your "Behind the Silks" features. When I worked in Augusta (golf), we actually used these when we needed to fill in during a break. We'd do, for example, a player who drives over 100 balls before each round. Fans love "background/inside" clips. Your clips are smooth and fluid, with nothing to distract the audience...good post production, too. Fun to watch and educational. Keep up the great work.

sammy the sage
06-23-2012, 08:32 AM
As far as the timers at AP:

Everybody is aware of the problem and there has been progress made on getting the problem resolved.

Your PA friends are at AP this weekend for a get together and I'm sure they will do their best to get it resolved also.

There really is not a lot I can do. It is most definitely not my department.

What I am trying to do is to create something with "Behind the Silks" that encourages new fans, and old ones, and makes the sport interesting, fun, and exciting. THAT is my department. ;)

Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow at AP!

Very nice, good, smooth and classy answer...you have a VERY bright future...

I'll make an analogy then leave it alone....if you GO to the restroom and the toilet is RUNNING constantly...even tho you're NOT the janitor...do you get someone's attention...or leave to some-one else...

Your boss's ARE LOSING repeat business FASTER than getting new...you should be able to imprees THAT on them...

If ignored...as TALENTED as you seem to be...I would be looking for a NEW gig...

just my final 2 cents...1943 copper that is...

sammy the sage
06-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Not asking for details or specifics, but can you say what general type of business you have? I think I am having a hard time guessing from your post.

Retail sales mostly...w/some wholesale production...legitimate customer complaints should be dealt w/promptly if possible...only way to stay open in today's economy..

ArlJim78
06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Very nice, good, smooth and classy answer...you have a VERY bright future...

I'll make an analogy then leave it alone....if you GO to the restroom and the toilet is RUNNING constantly...even tho you're NOT the janitor...do you get someone's attention...or leave to some-one else...

Your boss's ARE LOSING repeat business FASTER than getting new...you should be able to imprees THAT on them...

If ignored...as TALENTED as you seem to be...I would be looking for a NEW gig...

just my final 2 cents...1943 copper that is...
lighten up Francis. what part of "everyone is aware of the problem" did you not understand?

the timer issue is just a tad more complicated than fixing a running toilet.
yes that's right it's not just a simple bad switch or faulty wire, there are mulitple issues at work here. we're going to get the low down today so stand by.

Grits
06-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Not asking for details or specifics, but can you say what general type of business you have? I think I am having a hard time guessing from your post.

His business involves a much larger customer base than your work as a horse trainer, 5K. Its pretty demanding I'd think, at least, six days a week if not seven. Solid, probably from 8am to 6pm. Outdoors.

The truth is, and Jessica may not be pleased hearing it, but he's dead on the money correct. Like it or not.

Its odd that Cj was the first to bring Arlington's timer problem to Jessica's attention but he wasn't grilled. He has stated this problem to no avail, repeatedly, for weeks in another thread.

What has Arlington done to resolved the situation? They're slack. Its unacceptable and should remain so to any bettor, regardless whether one is making their first bet, or making one of thousands after decades of play.

Grits
06-23-2012, 09:30 AM
lighten up Francis. what part of "everyone is aware of the problem" did you not understand?

the timer issue is just a tad more complicated than fixing a running toilet.
yes that's right it's not just a simple bad switch or faulty wire, there are mulitple issues at work here. we're going to get the low down today so stand by.

This is a moot point Arlj because as we all know--CDI is the wealthiest entity in all of thoroughbred racing. Quit jerking horseplayers around. The money isn't a problem.

Buy a new timer, boys. Done deal, problem taken care of. Then, Jessica, management, and all others are pleased. We go forward.

ArlJim78
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
This is a moot point Arlj because as we all know--CDI is the wealthiest entity in all of thoroughbred racing. Quit jerking horseplayers around. The money isn't a problem.

Buy a new timer, boys. Done deal, problem taken care of. Then, Jessica, management, and all others are pleased. We go forward.
oh great, you've solved it. just buy a new timer. thanks for that helpful suggestion, I'm sure Jessica has already emailed management with your solution and that they've already sent someone over to Ace hardware to pick one up.

by the way, have you been personally affected by this issue? have you been forced to curtail your play at Arlington until this gets resolved? I'm just curious because I've yet to run into a person all worked up about it like you and sammy seem to be.

Dahoss9698
06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Retail sales mostly...w/some wholesale production...legitimate customer complaints should be dealt w/promptly if possible...only way to stay open in today's economy..

Reading your posts I would have figured English teacher or tutor. Weird...

Grits
06-23-2012, 10:24 AM
oh great, you've solved it. just buy a new timer. thanks for that helpful suggestion, I'm sure Jessica has already emailed management with your solution and that they've already sent someone over to Ace hardware to pick one up.

by the way, have you been personally affected by this issue? have you been forced to curtail your play at Arlington until this gets resolved? I'm just curious because I've yet to run into a person all worked up about it like you and sammy seem to be.

Right, no one is concerned about it but STS and myself? There's a thread here on the board started by one of the moderators that notes the problem has gone on since the second day of the meet. Or maybe, you missed this fact.

All worked up. No. Stating the obvious, and supporting someone else that's happen to note it. I'm sorry, your post is ridiculously silly, and snide. One doesn't let an internal problem with their product drag on for months. (Unless you're Stronach.)

And yeah, if you can't manage to fix it -- replace it. Simple solution. Sorry that you can't clearly see it as such. Itsyour namesake, maybe a nerve was struck unfortunately.

Meunuco
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Hard to make a compelling case that it's such a difficult problem when so many other tracks get it right. Not like this is a recent issue at AP, either. So, it's ongoing, which means they either:

1) could give a shit about it and figure why bother fixing it when they have Jessica doing the hair flip-giggle combo.

2) they can't figure out how to fix it and thus are incompetent

I'm not as 'worked up' about it as the others.:rolleyes: I just stopped playing AP a few years ago. Oh, and I don't play ANY track that can't time its races. I just don't have as high a tolerance for incompetents as you do. Not being able to competently offer a product that your competitors seem to have no problem putting out there is usual a good formula for failure in just about any other business. Luckily, AP has the support of all you understanding horse players. :lol:

rastajenk
06-23-2012, 12:17 PM
the little guy got kind of a pass in the Belmont cancellation thread in Off Topic, post 36 or so. I fail to see the difference, except that one is in New York.

castaway01
06-23-2012, 05:32 PM

I always figured brain surgeon or ambassador.

the little guy
06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
It's fascinating the assumptions that people frequently make about me and my position at NYRA, and now I see someone doing it with Jessica as well ( as it applies to Arlington ). Because we work at a racetrack, there is some assumption that we are involved in anything and everything. To those that have trouble understanding, the worst way to be able to be successful within an organization is to meddle in other peoples' areas. It is one thing to be asked your opinion by those you work with, but another thing entirely to insinuate yourself into other peoples' positions. Surely this makes sense.

The best way we can be effective is to make things better within our departments. It's no different than the rest of the working world. And, the more effective you are there, then the better chance you have of effecting positive change elsewhere.

NTamm1215
06-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Ascot's tougher to spell than you think.

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
There is an entire other thread dealing with the topic of the timer, so I'm not quite sure why it was brought up here. Sammy could have easily sent Jessica a private message if he was so intent on getting her attention (not that she can do much about it anyway, as TLG just pointed out).

And as Jessica has already stated, everyone who needs to know about the problem does indeed know about it...they have phones at Arlington, don't they? I'm sure they've received plenty of calls about the problem already, if, for some inexplicable reason, they didn't discover the problem first on their own, which I'm sure they did.

Let's keep this thread and all future threads concerning "Behind the Silks..." on topic.

Thanks.

Beachbabe
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
It's fascinating the assumptions that people frequently make about me and my position at NYRA, and now I see someone doing it with Jessica as well ( as it applies to Arlington ). Because we work at a racetrack, there is some assumption that we are involved in anything and everything. To those that have trouble understanding, the worst way to be able to be successful within an organization is to meddle in other peoples' areas. It is one thing to be asked your opinion by those you work with, but another thing entirely to insinuate yourself into other peoples' positions. Surely this makes sense.

The best way we can be effective is to make things better within our departments. It's no different than the rest of the working world. And, the more effective you are there, then the better chance you have of effecting positive change elsewhere.

Now this makes sense.

Jessica is involved in the department she works in. She has stated, that to her knowledge, Arlington is aware of the problem. To berate her about this is like asking the mutuel's manager why the corned beef is tough at the track deli.

Grits
06-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Much good luck with "Behind The Silks" going forward. Its a fine piece of work.

I apologize for not keeping my comments in the other thread. :blush:

nijinski
06-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I finally got to watch this episode and watching this kid go through the fence and also dangling beneath the horses neck. OMG , his poor family. I guess they are used to it though . What a brave soul this one is.
I don't know what others think and I will look again , cause I think he really took a huge risk on that rail a bad one , though I hope the stewards and the video put a little fear into him .
He's quite entertaining and the films are as well. The series is well done :ThmbUp: .

mountainman
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Amen, dude. If I DARED to presume that doing the show somehow empowered me to excercise say or authority beyond my position in the racing office, my bosses would put me in my place sooooooooo fast. And rightfully so.

Jessica Pacheco
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
wow - there sure is a lot going on in here, I don't know where to start, ha!

First of all, thanks to everybody for the feedback on the series. We are working very hard on it and it's nice to know that it's appreciated!

There is some more in-depth information on the timer issue available in the main "The AP timer sucks" thread and I hope that helps to explain just how complicated the issues actually was/is. Believe me, we all care it just wasn't a quick-fix kind of situation.

There wasn't anything I could do about it, and it really wasn't my place to interfere or comment on it as pointed out so correctly by TLG.

I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of you on Saturday, I hope you all had a good time! I know Tim enjoyed meeting and talking with your group also.

I'm pretty sure that some of that footage is going to end up in Episode 7 of "Behind the Silks"!