PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cramer on Sartin

DeanT
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Mark Cramer wrote a tribute to Sartin that he let us use that handicappers might be interested in.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2009/03/mark-cramer-on-sartin.html

DanG
03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
That was well written and enjoyable.

Thanks Dean for posting this and to Mark Cramer for providing some much needed perspective on an interesting man’s life.

GaryG
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Dean...a very nice tribute. IMO Cramer is the most eloquent of all of the turf writers.

DeanT
03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I've read it a few times now. I admire people who are good at their craft, no matter who they are, or what they do. Mark seems to be one of the few people in Turf who can write a story like that which touches on the controversy, but does so in a deferential way. I've been a fan of his from day one.

GaryG
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I've been a fan of his from day one.Me too.... The myth of Tamtulia, the ballad of Fracoza and handicapping from the missionary position. Not to mention the nightmare of DQ with his buddy Sancho.

DJofSD
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

DJofSD
03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Some of what Mark alludes to I know some of the background but there are other stories I've heard about I would really appreciate hearing from those that were there. For example, I understand there was a small contigent on track that included Doc that had Marshall Law the day he won at Santa Anita.

Tom
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Mark was guest speaker at a seminar in Baltimore.....what a gas this guy is!
His presentation was excellent, he had some angles that included trainer moves, not part of the methodology, but Doc endorsed them as legitimate ways to get races that pace would not.

But he really shined at the bar that night! :eek:

Ted Craven
03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Doc was reading Mark's new book Tropical Downs the month he passed away. I had sent it to him for Christmas, and he mentioned again his admiration for Mark and his work.

Nice article - great article theme: The Music Man (Doc Howard Sartin as Professor Harold Hill :)) - larger than life, lovable, rascally (except that Doc really could play).

Ted

DeanT
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Ted,

It is a part of racing and handicapping that everything seems to degenerate into a "right and wrong" argument. I avoided many of the Sartin topics because of it (it is why I absolutely loved Mark's article).

I dont know much about the man, or his system, but I know one thing - each and every book or method I have ever read I get something out of. Some small things, some larger. But I always admire the folks who are out there trying something new. It is the greatest game around, and without opinion and new things put forward by colorful personalities, boy it would be one boring game.

We get it at HANA from time to time. There are a thousand differing opinions on myriad issues. We have people wanting to boycott, procott, have us buy ADW's, buy a racetrack, and hell I am sure someone wants us to run a track on the moon. It is trying at times but we have to give people a voice for their opinion because even in some of the ideas that are way out there, there is something to them.

Regardless, a long-winded answer to the point that I loved that article, and the handicapping world loses something when these visionaries (whether you agree with them or not) leaves our earth. It is nice to chat about and remember people like this in a respectful way.