PDA

View Full Version : First Woman Jockey

billrock
02-07-2009, 03:23 AM
On this date forty years ago Diane Crump became the first woman jockey in America to compete in a parimutuel race when she finished tenth of 12 aboard a 48-1 shot, three-year-old Bridle 'n Bit, in the seventh race at Hialeah Park.

BlueShoe
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Believe that Tuesday Testa was the first to compete in and win a pari-mutual race.Stretching my memory a bit,but seem to recall that she won a race on opening day at Santa Anita 1967 on a horse called Buzz On.

eastie
02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Denise Boudrot was the first "Red Hot Apprentice"

ryesteve
02-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Believe that Tuesday Testa was the first to compete in and win a pari-mutual race.Stretching my memory a bit,but seem to recall that she won a race on opening day at Santa Anita 1967 on a horse called Buzz On.
It was '69 not '67
http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/sports/racing/racing021904/

Cangamble
02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Barbara Jo Rubin must have got on a horse in a race almost the same time as Crump. Crump has the honor of being the first woman to ride in a parimutuel race though.

jotb
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
On this date forty years ago Diane Crump became the first woman jockey in America to compete in a parimutuel race when she finished tenth of 12 aboard a 48-1 shot, three-year-old Bridle 'n Bit, in the seventh race at Hialeah Park.

On Feb 22 1969 Barbara Jo Rubin was the first female jockey to win a race on a recognized racetrack. That track was Charles Town. Many things happened in 1969. Even the "amazing NY Mets" won the world series. Wow, I'm getting old.

Joe

BlueShoe
02-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Quote,"it was '69 not '67"Correct;March 1,1969.At least I got the name of the rider and horse right.The late '60's were my much younger drinking days.Must have been too smashed or too hungover to remember the details clearly.Was at SA that day,and do recall Old Joe (track announcer Joe Hernandez) saying during the winners circle ceremony,"and in the winners circle is Buzz On,riden by MISS Tuesday Testa".

strapper
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I was at FG the day Diane Crump rode Easy Lime to victory in a stakes race, the first black type win for a female rider I believe. I offered her my congratulations after she unsaddled.

toetoe
02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Which trainer gave her the leg up ?

I remember Brian Webb as being a guy that gave female riders opportunities way back when. :ThmbUp:

Bubba X
02-08-2009, 07:28 PM
My vote for bestest woman jock ever:

http://www.jockthemovie.com/mbacon.html

Playboy, the Klan, got kidnapped, got shot at, Hong Kong.... quite a gal.

CryingForTheHorses
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I think its great to see a woman compete with the guys,Ive seen a lot over the years but the toughest I ever saw was Dodie Duys,Rode her on a horse at GP way back in the 90's,Runaway Storm was his name,She won 3 in a row on him,My wife also rode several horses for me that tripled 3 in a row. Not a easy game for the ladies.

ralph_the_cat
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
No mention of Cheryl White... the first black woman...

BlueShoe
02-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Since the thread has shifted to best women jocks,there really is not much room for debate about which female rider was the best up to this point.Julie Krone.

eastie
02-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I think its great to see a woman compete with the guys,Ive seen a lot over the years but the toughest I ever saw was Dodie Duys,Rode her on a horse at GP way back in the 90's,Runaway Storm was his name,She won 3 in a row on him,My wife also rode several horses for me that tripled 3 in a row. Not a easy game for the ladies.

she was so tough she once fought leading jockey and head of the jockey colony Carl Gambardella. She was naked at the time, but it didn't slow her down any.

Greyfox
02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Lady Godiva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva

Carry on, carry on.

cj's dad
02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Colonial Affair - first and only female jock to win a TC race.Since the thread has shifted to best women jocks,there really is not much room for debate about which female rider was the best up to this point.Julie Krone.

boomman
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I think there have been others, but I hosted the 1st women's jockey challenge at The New Mexico State Fair back in the early 90's with the late Ronnie Banks (who was a regional manager for the Jockeys Guild), and I remember being somewhat awestruck at how well these ladies could ride. Of course, we were getting the "cream of the crop", the leading female riders from every region across America, except for Julie Krone who wouldn't attend without a large appearance fee. (Don't get me started on Miss Krone or her appropriately named agent at the time "Snake" Cooper):D The "challenge" was broadcast live on the old Prime Sports Network and we had a points system on 4 races similar to the one they used later for the men @ Lonestar Park. Some of the women jocks that attended included: a relatively unknown (at the time) girl by the name of Rosemary Homeister, Jr. (I think people know her pretty well now;) ) Tammy Purcell, Vicki Warhol, Lillian "Mitch" Kuykendall (who was actually the leading rider @ Charlestown @ that time), Jill Jellison, Tammy Fox, Cindy Noll, Kendra Taylor, Donna Barton (now Donna Brothers), and local riders Nancy Summers and Vicki Smallwood just to name a few.............

Boomer

cj's dad
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Boom,

Do you know what happened to Andrea Seefeldt ??

boomman
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Boom,

Do you know what happened to Andrea Seefeldt ??

cj's dad: I know she goes by Andrea Seefeldt Knight now, and here's a "boxscore" of her riding in a steeple chase a few years ago....See below...Boom

The second leg of the Steeplechase Triple Crown, the $75,000 Grade II National Hunt Cup, will be run at Radnor on May 21st. The third and final leg of the series is the Meadow Brook, which will be contested at Belmont Park on June 12th, the day after the Belmont Stakes.

http://www.steeplestakes.com/2005/races/images/05gwpad.jpg
The winning connections in the paddock before the Temple Gwathmey (left-to-right): owner Aurelia Bolton, trainer Katherine Neilson McKenna and jockey Robert Massey.

The complete order of finish for the Temple Gwathmey is set forth below.

Results:
Horse
lbs
Jockey
Trainer
Owner

TOUGHKENAMON 148MasseyKathy McKennaArmata Stable

ERIN GO BRAGH 151McCarronDoug FoutBrigadoon Stable

PARADISE'S BOSS 157FoleyJack FisherMrs. Henry F. Stern

NOBLEST148ReadNeil MorrisKinross Farm5

SUPER FAME 151BentleyJack FisherMrs. S.K. Johnston, Jr.

WHY NOT BABY 148BoucherLilith BoucherWish You Well Stable7

OOBITWA 148RafterJimmy DayS. Bruce Smart, Jr.8

HAY GETOUTOFMYWAY McCormackJack Fisher Andrea Seefeldt Knight9

DOUBLE FOREIGNER 148MarzulloVincent MarzulloGary S. SeidlerF

CLASS SPRITE 148PettyLilith BoucherMede Cohaba StableScr

CHARLIE WHISKEY 148MurphyTom VossFox Ridge Farm

cj's dad
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
I remember a Paul Seefeldt- guess it was her brother.

I thought she was decent on the turf and got some long price horses home there. Do recall one time I had her on a 33/1 shot that ran 2nd, she got put up for first which gave me a $3k tri - that race was on the same Saturday Lil E Tee won the KD.

She was also the one jock who could ride a Catherine Voss mare- the mare wouldn't let any other jock on her according to Voss. Later had to retire the mare for this reason as AS moved on or quit.
Funny how one remembers the big scores !!

Pace Cap'n
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Are there any videos of that Godiva chick in action?

thespaah
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Colonial Affair - first and only female jock to win a TC race.
Julie Krone was the best female jock ever. Many of her records may never be eclipsed. Total wins for career. Wins in one year. And wins on one card. Also I think she has the all time record for wins in one day. Gotta check on that one. Also I think her fight career is 2-0. She punched out Art Madrid at the Meadowlnads and I think got a tko against another jock at Monmouth.