PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn's Press Release ( to all of the folks on their mailing list :)

BeatTheChalk
01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Let the Countdown Begin!!

It is official: Entries for the first day of racing are in and new faces abound, full fields in all but one of the races. Every stall in the stable area of Oaklawn Jockey Club is occupied :ThmbUp: with opening day less than 48 hours away.

Horses have been shipping by the van loads since the beginning of November in preparation for the 54-day live meet. Fans of Oaklawn have much to be proud of and there is much to look forward to as there are major contenders for many of the stakes races scheduled here.

As all race fans know the three year old trail to the Triple Crown has been a thrilling one for Oaklawn Park. Horses such as: Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Lawyer Ron, and Curlin (in photo), just to name a few, have all made stellar appearances in Oaklawn three-year-old series.

To kick things off on opening day is the 69th running of the Dixieland for three-year-olds at six furlongs. A field of eight will line up at the starting gate in hopes of placing their name in with the likes of the above mentioned.

The likely favorite is Silver City, a son of Unbridled’s Song, who has shown his best run around one turn. The Bret Calhoun trainee is coming off an impressive allowance win at Churchill Downs beating a strong field of horses. Miguel Mena, who has ridden Silver City in all of his starts, will be in from Fair Grounds to ride. “I really think this horse could be something special. Every win for him has been very easy and he keeps improving off every race. He goes to the lead and stays on the lead. Right now, he is the best horse I’m riding.” commented Mena from New Orleans. Silver City will break from post position two.

Another horse to consider is Regardlesofoutcome, who ships in for trainer Wesley Ward. The dark bay colt has made four starts and has finished in the money in as many starts. His most recent start came at Belmont Park in the Tremont Stakes where he was beaten a half length. Chris Emigh, who is coming off a top ten finish last year at Oaklawn, will pick up the mount, and will break from the five hole.

The rest of the field and their trainers include: Malibu Maverick, Ronny Werner; Dance Caller, Bob Holthus; Back to Gold, Moises Yanez; My Man Moran, Jerry Quinn; Titranium, Joe Petalino; and He’s Boy Wonder, Danny Pish.

The Dixieland is carded as race eight with a post set at 4:33 p.m...

The Leader’s Return

Last year trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Eddie Razo, Jr. each took home end of the meet trophies for leading their respective divisions. Both are back at Oaklawn and they are looking for the same success that had last year.

Trainer Steve Asmussen had the best year of his career in 2008. He broke his own record of most wins in a single season with 622 races over his previous mark set in 2003 with 555. He also traveled the world with Curlin, who is now up for Horse-of-the-Year honors, and set reached a personal goal of racing the America's richest race horse. Asmussen has a stable of 48 horses on the grounds at Oaklawn, and looks to hit the track running with all horses. He will have to fend off the likes of Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas, Steve Hobby, and Larry Jones, among others.

Jockey Eddie Razo, Jr. returns to Oaklawn with a lot of competition from the jocks room this year. Razo finished the meet with 49 wins including wins in the Smarty Jones and the Carousel. As of Wednesday there were 36 licensed jockeys who have taken up residency in Hot Springs. Razo will have to keep active with the likes of Chris Emigh, Tim Doocy, Terry Thompson, and Calvin Borel ready to replace him as leading rider.

And a Little More
Those looking for Jockey Luis Quinonez (shown here) on opening day will have to wait until Monday, January 19. A suspension from last year was upheld by the court system. “I’m ready to ride, but I have to follow the rules. I will enjoy opening day just like everybody else in the grandstand.” … On the subject of jockeys, Jon Court will be back at Oaklawn to ride for the 2009 meet. For the past five years Court has been riding in Southern California. Court has three mounts for opening day. … Trainer Larry Jones has indicated that he expects Old Fashioned to start training here at the end of the month in preparation for the Grade III Southwest.

And note : Be nice at the track. Charlie is letting his kids sorta run the
place :lol: