PDA

View Full Version : Please contribute $5 to help pay for the domain name

highnote
07-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi members of HANA (Anyone can be a member. It is free.),

GameTheory was kind enough to pay for the domain names for HANA out of his own pocket. The total cost for the .com and .org names was about $52.

Please send him a private message to find out where to send your $5 -- either via paypal or by US mail.

Your contribution is appreciated.

Thank you.

Greyfox
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
If every member on this board sends $ 5, he can pay for multiple domain names and a few parties as well.

Then there may be a request for building the domain.
Then a request for travel expenses etc.
You guys may be on to a good idea, but why not think it out further about what costs and membership fees might be rather than asking for $ 5 bucks?

P.S.
Okay. Membership is free? Maybe it shouldn't be if you're making requests already?

highnote
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Your point is well taken. I should have been more specific. When GT purchased the domain names during last week's War Room meeting it was agreed that we would ask for contributions to cover the cost. We felt it wasn't right that one person should shoulder all the costs. I believe almost everyone in attendance said they would chip in. We only need 10 people to chip in $5. Then GT would be the 11th person. After PayPal fees are deducted from the first $50 that GT receives, the remaining balance would probably be about $5 which GT agreed would be his share. In reality, GT will probably chip in more than $5. Plus he took the risk that anyone would chip in at all.

I chipped in $5 yesterday. So at this point, we're only looking for 9 more people. When GT has received $50 he will stop accepting money.

All we have is his integrity to go on. I trust him and have no reason not to trust him. He has shown over the years to be a person of high moral standards.

That said, I would have preferred having our organization's website hosted on a free service such as freewebhost.com. Then we could have had a URL like freewebhost.com/~hana and it wouldn't have cost a penny. But it was a democratic decision to buy the domain names.

$5 is not going to affect my standard of living. In fact, given the value of the US dollar, $5 is almost nothing. :D

If every member on this board sends $ 5, he can pay for multiple domain names and a few parties as well.

Then there may be a request for building the domain.
Then a request for travel expenses etc.
You guys may be on to a good idea, but why not think it out further about what costs and membership fees might be rather than asking for $ 5 bucks?

P.S.
Okay. Membership is free? Maybe it shouldn't be if you're making requests already?

Indulto
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Your point is well taken. I should have been more specific. When GT purchased the domain names during last week's War Room meeting it was agreed that we would ask for contributions to cover the cost. We felt it wasn't right that one person should shoulder all the costs. I believe almost everyone in attendance said they would chip in. We only need 10 people to chip in $5. Then GT would be the 11th person. After PayPal fees are deducted from the first $50 that GT receives, the remaining balance would probably be about $5 which GT agreed would be his share. In reality, GT will probably chip in more than $5. Plus he took the risk that anyone would chip in at all.

I chipped in $5 yesterday. So at this point, we're only looking for 9 more people. When GT has received $50 he will stop accepting money.

All we have is his integrity to go on. I trust him and have no reason not to trust him. He has shown over the years to be a person of high moral standards.

That said, I would have preferred having our organization's website hosted on a free service such as freewebhost.com. Then we could have had a URL like freewebhost.com/~hana and it wouldn't have cost a penny. But it was a democratic decision to buy the domain names.

$5 is not going to affect my standard of living. In fact, given the value of the US dollar, $5 is almost nothing. :DI'm in, SJ.

As you advised, I've PMed GT for his address and am grateful he stepped up to make something happen. Hopefully that will be the spark that attracts wider participation in the war room tonight.

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
For the record I got .com .net & .org names -- 3 domains. Each one was $9.99 +$5.99 to get a private registration (which eliminates spam to the admin addresses, etc.). Right now they are parked while we figure out the hosting. That's someone else's dept.

We were thinking of waiting, but when you do domain searches there is a certain breed of parasite that if you don't buy them right away then they will grab them up before you do and then try to gouge you for them. So I snapped them up. If no one ends up wanting to pay for them, then I guess that tells you the fate of the organization right there.

So at the moment I own them, and when the host is set-up I'll point them to the proper server. If the organization ever becomes an actual legal entity, then I'll transfer the ownership. But I already maintain a number of domains, so it is no big deal.

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I've gotten 2 messages just now, so I'm up to $15.

The domains, by the way, are:

horseplayersassociation.org (.com .net)

But no actual site yet...

Greyfox
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Okay. I understand what you fellows and your group is doing and trying to do and I wish you well.

But let me suggest another approach.
I realize that it was through discussions on this board that your organization started and I admire your willingness to carry through what you were talking about.
Yet over time you guys are going to have money issues.
Even though the organization started here, doesn't give license to solicit here.

What I am saying is once you get your site set up,
let the members of this board know where it is. Then we can visit it. On that site if you want to ask for donations, that's your site and you should do so.

However, this is not your site.
Asking for money on this site is like being approached by a beggar in the street.
I don't like beggars in the streets that I walk down.
I don't think that you should be allowed to solicit money on this site, and I'm surprised it's not against the terms of service.

chickenhead
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
or..another idea would be for you to start your own site, and then you can make the rules for that site.

It's PA's show, he's allowed a temporary gathering place in this subforum for this group.

Greyfox
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
or..another idea would be for you to start your own site, and then you can make the rules for that site.

It's PA's show, he's allowed a temporary gathering place in this subforum for this group.

Actually, chickenhead I have my own site.
I'm not making rules for this site. I'm just expressing an opinion, got it.

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Okay. I understand what you fellows and your group is doing and trying to do and I wish you well.

But let me suggest another approach.
I realize that it was through discussions on this board that your organization started and I admire your willingness to carry through what you were talking about.
Yet over time you guys are going to have money issues.
Even though the organization started here, doesn't give license to solicit here.

What I am saying is once you get your site set up,
let the members of this board know where it is. Then we can visit it. On that site if you want to ask for donations, that's your site and you should do so.

However, this is not your site.
Asking for money on this site is like being approached by a beggar in the street.
I don't like beggars in the streets that I walk down.
I don't think that you should be allowed to solicit money on this site, and I'm surprised it's not against the terms of service.This is the HANA subforum -- please consider the context. If you are not interested, then don't read it. Really just trying to reconnect with the people at the meeting last week that said they'd like to chip in for reimbursment and others that would like to help the group along. Not trying to profit or even raise money in a general way. Just paying for one specific item as discussed previously.

Greyfox
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
This is the HANA subforum -- please consider the context. If you are not interested, then don't read it. Really just trying to reconnect with the people at the meeting last week that said they'd like to chip in for reimbursment and others that would like to help the group along. Not trying to profit or even raise money in a general way. Just paying for one specific item as discussed previously.

Thankyou. I accept yours and chickenhead's arguments. All the best. :ThmbUp:

(P.S. I hope you note that I put in my "concern" earlier as your request was in danger of falling into the back pages of this site. At least it kept your thread in the forefront.)

chickenhead
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
on a related note, the last meeting I was at the subject of donations was broached and put on hold pending some research into the legalities of accepting money/tax consequences/legal structures etc

I took it as an action item to look into it...I'm no legal scholar but this would be my suggestion.

for now I'd suggest a simple "unincorporated association". Requires very little in the way of paperwork, also offers little benefit, but you will be able to operate and accept donations with a minimal framework in place. Assuming things progressed, you can roll that into an incorporated nonprofit entity later this year, early next year, whenever...the assets of the association roll into the new entity.

you need to decide what state it will be in, and finalize the BOD group.

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
on a related note, the last meeting I was at the subject of donations was broached and put on hold pending some research into the legalities of accepting money/tax consequences/legal structures etc

I took it as an action item to look into it...I'm no legal scholar but this would be my suggestion.

for now I'd suggest a simple "unincorporated association". Requires very little in the way of paperwork, also offers little benefit, but you will be able to operate and accept donations with a minimal framework in place. Assuming things progressed, you can roll that into an incorporated nonprofit entity later this year, early next year, whenever...the assets of the association roll into the new entity.

you need to decide what state it will be in, and finalize the BOD group.Yeah, so for now I'm the owner of the domains.

I'm up to $20 now.

bobbyb
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm in GT

bobbyb :cool:

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Up to $30 now.

BUD
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Sounds ok to me.....

Where do we send the bucks......I always been a union kinda guy..

No really Whom do we send it to?

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 05:53 PM
$35 now.

GameTheory
07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Sounds ok to me.....

Where do we send the bucks......I always been a union kinda guy..

No really Whom do we send it to?Me. PM me and I'll give you the details.

highnote
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
what are you up to now -- dollarwise?

Greyfox
07-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Me. PM me and I'll give you the details.

Okay. I'm putting you back on the front page again.
An inquirer asked:

To whom do I send my payment to.
Your response is above.
Why the "sub rosa?"

I will send the $5 bucks too.

Indicate the address and to whom the $5 should be sent on this site.

But please state:

To Whom:
The Address:

Hammerhead
07-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Kindly let me know where to send the money, and how is the check made out?

GameTheory
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, I've got enough commitments for $40. (I'm counting all the people that said they were sending $5, either by postal mail or Paypal. I'm assuming everyone will follow through.)

But then I also received out of the blue a $100 donation from a supporter who wishes to remain anonymous. Consider $10 of that earmarked to cover the final portion for the domains. So thank you anonymous supporter, and that was appreciated, but please no one else do that. We were just looking to pay for the domains here. I'm not the treasurer of this new organization, or looking to fill that position. But for now consider that extra $90 bucks held in escrow and when we do have an official treasury and treasurer to look after it I'll transfer that money to them, along with the details of the others that chipped in for the domains.

Now, there were a few others of you that I know wanted to contribute also (Hammerhead and others), and I'm sure you'll get your chance, but again please just wait until we're ready for that.

So, now on to the making of the actual web site, and you know...doing stuff.

Whatever happened to our hosting? Waiting to hear back on that so I know where to point the domains.

And to Greyfox -- I don't want to post my home address publicly or my email so I don't get lots of spam, etc. Why would I? Like I said, I'm not the treasurer, and after this point no one should be sending me anything. I've been posting on this board for many years; lots of people here know who I am. If you'd like to know, send me a line and we'll talk. It is not a big conspiracy, really it is not. We are in the process of forming an organization. I'm not that organization -- just trying to help it get started.

chickenhead
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok, I've got enough commitments for $40. (I'm counting all the people that said they were sending $5, either by postal mail or Paypal. I'm assuming everyone will follow through.)

But then I also received out of the blue a $100 donation from a supporter who wishes to remain anonymous. Consider $10 of that earmarked to cover the final portion for the domains. So thank you anonymous supporter, and that was appreciated, but please no one else do that. We were just looking to pay for the domains here. I'm not the treasurer of this new organization, or looking to fill that position. But for now consider that extra $90 bucks held in escrow and when we do have an official treasury and treasurer to look after it I'll transfer that money to them, along with the details of the others that chipped in for the domains.

Now, there were a few others of you that I know wanted to contribute also (Hammerhead and others), and I'm sure you'll get your chance, but again please just wait until we're ready for that.

So, now on to the making of the actual web site, and you know...doing stuff.

Whatever happened to our hosting? Waiting to hear back on that so I know where to point the domains.

And to Greyfox -- I don't want to post my home address publicly or my email so I don't get lots of spam, etc. Why would I? Like I said, I'm not the treasurer, and after this point no one should be sending me anything. I've been posting on this board for many years; lots of people here know who I am. If you'd like to know, send me a line and we'll talk. It is not a big conspiracy, really it is not. We are in the process of forming an organization. I'm not that organization -- just trying to help it get started.

GT if you're around, I don't see any reason not to use the address we purchased rather than this blogspot address. Can you do the DNS part of it?

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=55373

GameTheory
07-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I've just got back online and am catching up (been moving). I'm getting conflicting reports about blogs and hosting for a regular site, etc. So now you want to point the domain to blogspot?

chickenhead
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking when we get a proper website we can point it there, until then it seems like we'd want to use it for this. Then it will be seemless when we do a changeover, the same address will always point to "us", bookmarks won't need to be updated, etc.

GameTheory
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking when we get a proper website we can point it there, until then it seems like we'd want to use it for this. Then it will be seemless when we do a changeover, the same address will always point to "us", bookmarks won't need to be updated, etc.Well, I've been told privately that hosting for a regular site is in the works -- just waiting for a confirmation on that.

highnote
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I believe I am correct to say that CJ has agreed to help set up the website. CJ can you confirm?

Thanks.

js