PDA

View Full Version : Handicapper's Association meeting

highnote
05-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Is anyone interested in meeting Wednesday night May 28th, 2008 at 10:00pm in the PaceAdvantage.com War Room ?

Maybe it can be a nightly meeting at first -- just to get the wheels turning.

Anyone can feel free to drop in and add their two cents.

nobeyerspls
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Ten O'Clock is my bedtime so I can't come. I agree with the guy that said that there should be a specific goal and I think that the goal should be to lower track and government takeout. Secondly, the $600 theshhold for an IRS ticket has never been adjusted for inflation. If it had been it would probably be closer to $5k.
Those are the two topics I would have brought to the meeting if I could have attended.

highnote
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Ten O'Clock is my bedtime so I can't come. I agree with the guy that said that there should be a specific goal and I think that the goal should be to lower track and government takeout. Secondly, the $600 theshhold for an IRS ticket has never been adjusted for inflation. If it had been it would probably be closer to $5k.
Those are the two topics I would have brought to the meeting if I could have attended.

What's a good time for you? Maybe we can do it early evenings on Sat or Sun. That way the west coast contingent can join in.

I also think the name should have the word "International" in it. The association may someday want to have charters around the world.

Here are some possible names:

International Association of Horseplayers -- specific

International Association of Handicappers -- more general -- includes greyhounds

International Association of Prediction Market Forecasters -- includes many markets

Jeff P
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
some suggested names...

Horse Players Association (H.P.A)
Thoroughbred Players Association (T.P.A.)
North American Horse Players Association (N.A.H.P.A)
North American Thoroughbred Players Association (N.A.T.P.A.)

-jp

highnote
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
some suggested names...

Horse Players Association (H.P.A)
Thoroughbred Players Association (T.P.A.)
North American Horse Players Association (N.A.H.P.A)
North American Thoroughbred Players Association (N.A.T.P.A.)

-jp

Great suggestions! Thanks.

I wonder though, if the association offers charter memberships in other hemispheres maybe the name should have "International" in it. Although, it's not that big of a deal.

rokitman
05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
United Thoroughbred Market Makers

Forget whether or not it has a sexy acronym. The letters IBM had no weight when assembled together until they represented a behemoth.

highnote
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
United Thoroughbred Market Makers

Forget whether or not it has a sexy acronym. The letters IBM had no weight when assembled together until they represented a behemoth.

Good point.

How about International Racing Market Makers?

Although, I do like the word United.

rokitman
05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Instead of doing something like this from scratch, with little to no resources, infrastructure or experience, I think it would be wise to go to somebody like the Teamsters and try to do something under their umbrella. I would expect they are always interested in more dues-paying members. I think it would primarily be a matter of just how many current and future members are we talking about. We know that, whatever the current number is, the racing industry is recruiting new members for a players union every day in their own backasswards way, and have been for quite some time. Make just one "sale" of this idea to the Teamsters or like organization and kaboom-overnight-you're a powerhouse.

HUSKER55
05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
How about United Horse Players or United Punters.

Keep it simple, direct, self explanatory and it covers who ever and where ever someone wants to apply.

Just a thought.

husker55

:)

Tom
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
That's gonna sound a lot like the old Yahoo forum - Horseplayer's United.

ezrabrooks
05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Before each meeting, this new group should recite the Serenity Prayer..

Bruddah
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Before each meeting, this new group should recite the Serenity Prayer..

With legs crossed and thumbs pointed upward. :D
:ThmbUp: ahhmmmm ahhmmmm :ThmbUp: ahhmmmm ahhmmmm :ThmbUp:
Krishna Haree Haree Krishna Haree Haree Now breath deep and exhale slowly

rrbauer
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Instead of doing something like this from scratch, with little to no resources, infrastructure or experience, I think it would be wise to go to somebody like the Teamsters and try to do something under their umbrella. I would expect they are always interested in more dues-paying members. I think it would primarily be a matter of just how many current and future members are we talking about. We know that, whatever the current number is, the racing industry is recruiting new members for a players union every day in their own backasswards way, and have been for quite some time. Make just one "sale" of this idea to the Teamsters or like organization and kaboom-overnight-you're a powerhouse.

Conceptually, I like it. When do we picket? Gonna have a bad-ass picket line!

rokitman
05-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Conceptually, I like it. When do we picket? Gonna have a bad-ass picket line!
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/strike-2.jpg
Here's a model.

Those three guys across the middle look like they were cast by Hollywood for the role.

highnote
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Only 90 minutes until the War Room.

KingChas
05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
H.O.O.F.S.

Horseplayers Organization of Fair Standards..... ;)

highnote
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
H.O.O.F.S.

Horseplayers Organization of Fair Standards..... ;)

LOL

We had a good meeting. Hope you all can make the next one.

Indulto
05-28-2008, 11:33 PM
JP, SJ, et al,

Belatedly:

HURRAH

Handicappers United to Reform Racing and Augment Handle

Kelso
05-28-2008, 11:42 PM
- More than 24 hours notice
- And/or some sort of LARGE PRINT advisory on the PA home page
- And/or some sort of "notice list" by which those who ask to be on it can be advised by PM.

(Last two points require, of course, assistance of PA or moderator.)

I opened PA around 9:30PM or so this evening, but didn't get to this thread until after the meeting was over. Would have been there if I had known.

highnote
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
JP, SJ, et al,

Belatedly:

HURRAH

Handicappers United to Reform Racing and Augment Handle

Very clever. I love it!

It's a little longer than Handicappers United Racing Association (HURA), though.

Next meeting is 10:00pm eastern time on Friday, May 30, 2008

raybo
05-29-2008, 06:44 AM
PA, would it be possible to have access to a transcript of the last meeting, for those who were unable to attend?

Indulto
05-29-2008, 07:23 AM
... It's a little longer than Handicappers United Racing Association (HURA), though. ...Well I guess that works against substituting "Rejuvenate" for "Reform" which sounded even better to me upon awakening.

HURA sounds a Japanese version of an Israeli dance. ;)

highnote
05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Well I guess that works against substituting "Rejuvenate" for "Reform" which sounded even better to me upon awakening.

Does the name get changed once the association rejuvenates and reforms racing?

rokitman
05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Go to the professionals (http://www.teamster.org/)

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
PA, would it be possible to have access to a transcript of the last meeting, for those who were unable to attend?Yes, it most certainly would be possible. I'll get on that now....

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Transcript available here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/052808_WR_Transcript.html

highnote
05-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Thanks for posting the transcript of last night's meeting. It's good to know that it is stored. I thought it was gone forever.

ezpace
05-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Thoroughbred Racings **Financiers**

or something close.. make a statement with the name

referring to .... we don't play ,nobody gets paid ...

we are the liquidity providers to any track

DeanT
05-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Interesting reading guys. Congrats on trying something!

My 2 cents. Someone mentioned getting behind lowering or eliminating the IRS take. I think Mike Maloney and the NTRA players thing is concentrating on that. It would certainly be good to throw some support behind that, but making it a plank does not differentiate the assn (imo).

To me, having a plank that all races are available everywhere via the internet, and resulting that, supporting congress' look into having a racing commissioner is a good thing, and somewhat politically sharp. Having uniform takeouts and uniform signal availability via the internet is something the business is currently fighting about and needs. Getting on board with that is a good thing - the horseman like it because they can use it an example to get revenues figured out (look the players want it), the tracks want to offer the signals everywhere; and Evans knows he has to do that. And despite what we hear, players do use ADW's to lower their effective takeouts as we speak, and it might all be taken away in this mess, hurting everyone. It is a win-win-win issue that might get some play - horseman, tracks, players - and supporting someone to run the ship so this infighting doesnt screw up our game forever. Hell, maybe even someone in Cali would actually get a rebate after this. :bang:

Like I said, just my 2 cents, but I think thinking about the political angle is important in anything like this.

raybo
05-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Really appreciate the transcript PA. I wanted to attend the first meeting but was "out-of-pocket" and couldn't. Hopefully I'll be able to be there tonight at 10 EST.

The transcript sounded very positive, the " first things first" thing happened, which makes me very hopeful that this thing will get off the ground properly, ie: website, name, free memberships initially to attract numbers, talk of a mission statement, something substantial on the site before publishing and advertising it. Lots of good interaction and "give and take" is very promising, also.

PA, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but a chat room, other than the War Room, just for the Association would be great, too, if that's not too much trouble. That way we'd have a permanent place for the meetings, prior to the site getting up and running, and people could drop in anytime to get caught up with what's going on and to offer their opinions, for those unable to attend the meetings. Also, the Association chat room would bring Pace Advantage directly into the mix, and would be great for both entities, I think.

rrbauer
05-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Haven't been over there in a while, but it used to be possible to setup a "Private" chat/war room.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Really appreciate the transcript PA. I wanted to attend the first meeting but was "out-of-pocket" and couldn't. Hopefully I'll be able to be there tonight at 10 EST.

The transcript sounded very positive, the " first things first" thing happened, which makes me very hopeful that this thing will get off the ground properly, ie: website, name, free memberships initially to attract numbers, talk of a mission statement, something substantial on the site before publishing and advertising it. Lots of good interaction and "give and take" is very promising, also.

PA, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but a chat room, other than the War Room, just for the Association would be great, too, if that's not too much trouble. That way we'd have a permanent place for the meetings, prior to the site getting up and running, and people could drop in anytime to get caught up with what's going on and to offer their opinions, for those unable to attend the meetings. Also, the Association chat room would bring Pace Advantage directly into the mix, and would be great for both entities, I think.My current setup only allows the creation of temporary rooms. Once the last person leaves, the room is deleted.

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Association of Handicappers: At the Table

AssHat for short

(don't take that the wrong way, I just couldn't resist)

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 02:30 AM
my 2 cents.

I would suggest a more defining title, or the inclusion of a more action oriented word like "reform" that Indulto suggests.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

there is not a lot of question as to what they're about, it's right in the title. racing association could be an ownership group.

I don't think the acronym is as important as the title, you want people to know what this org is from the name. If this is for the advancement of horseplayer/bettor interests, I say come right out and say it.

Association for the Advancement of Horseplayer Interests

keep it simple and to the point. Those are the interests that are not being represented, That is the group that is currently not at the table. It distinguishes the group clearly from the rest of the industry, it has the mission built right in, but it is not limiting as to the interests we might pursue.

any horseplayer who sees that name might think supporting it would be a good idea.

highnote
05-31-2008, 02:46 AM

Not quite as good as AssHatt, but it not bad. :D

Actually, you made a very good point and I like the name you came up with.

I think there is going to be a thread with suggested names and then there will be a poll to see which one is most popular. Not sure if the most popular one automatically wins?

Stay tuned.

DJofSD
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry I missed the meeting. 10 ET is dinner time out here on the left coast. Oh well.

My $0.02: do not use the word "player". It has a certain connotation that implies game playing. And while we know life's a game and betting T'bred races can be viewed as a game, if you what to leave a good initial impression from just reading the name of the organization, do not use "player".

DJofSD
05-31-2008, 11:33 AM
AssHatt -- visions of the Cone Heads!

What about Handicappers Action Committee?

highnote
05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry I missed the meeting. 10 ET is dinner time out here on the left coast. Oh well.

My $0.02: do not use the word "player". It has a certain connotation that implies game playing. And while we know life's a game and betting T'bred races can be viewed as a game, if you what to leave a good initial impression from just reading the name of the organization, do not use "player".

What time and day would work for you?

There will be a thread started for suggested names along with a poll.

I like your suggestion of "Handicapper's Action Committee". That has a political tone to it -- which is not a bad thing.

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I went back and forth between Handicappers and Horseplayers, here were my thoughts.

Handicapping in one of the things that horseplayers do, but it's not a complete description. A handicappers committee makes me think of a narrower focus, like just the information side of things.

The term horseplayer for better or worse is a pretty well tested description of Horse Racing customers/bettors. Beyer is probably the only mainstream horseplayer, and that's the phrase he used in multiple book titles to describe "us". If this group was as well accepted as Beyer, you'd be in good shape.

Player is just a stand in for gambler or bettor or investor, I think it is an improvement over all 3. The first two sound kind of shady, the third sounds pretentious. And, as a totality, investor is not a good description anyway, it's a negative sum game.

Handicapper also is a bit distant, spectators. Horseplayer indicates involvement; an active role, we make the pools. We are participants in this industry. We do not only sit apart and analyze it.

DJofSD
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM
What time and day would work for you?

It varies. I'm likely just like most on this board: I have a "day" job (IT technical support). The demands of the job and those of family life don't allow me to say there's any specific time or day. By and large, middle of the day, Monday through Friday are non-starters.

DJofSD
05-31-2008, 12:43 PM
CH, I appreciate all those reasons.

If we like the name that is along the lines of "'X' Action Committee" then I think we can narrow down the discussion to a word or phrase for 'X'.

Horseplayers.
Handicappers.
Bettors.
Investors.
Punters.

What else can be added to the list?

OTOH, something like National Association for the Betterment of Handicappers might better describe the group.

Another random thought: video game players (gamers) seem to garner some respect especially when you realize how much money is involved in that industry. Salient point: the last two major releases earlier this year earned more money from the 1st day of sales than any of the so called block buster movie releases earned in a week. Think about it.

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 12:57 PM
I think the main thought for me is that people readily understand not just who the group is, but why they exist, from the name. Whatever it works out to be, the closer it comes to that the better.

You want like minded people to automatically want to support you off nothing but the name, i.e. if all people saw was the name, with zero background, zero explanation, zero mission statement, zero anything, you want their absolute first thought to be: I want to join that group and send them money. You want to appeal to the lizard brain.

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM
My 2 cents. Someone mentioned getting behind lowering or eliminating the IRS take. I think Mike Maloney and the NTRA players thing is concentrating on that. It would certainly be good to throw some support behind that, but making it a plank does not differentiate the assn (imo).

To me, having a plank that all races are available everywhere via the internet, and resulting that, supporting congress' look into having a racing commissioner is a good thing, and somewhat politically sharp. Having uniform takeouts and uniform signal availability via the internet is something the business is currently fighting about and needs. Getting on board with that is a good thing - the horseman like it because they can use it an example to get revenues figured out (look the players want it), the tracks want to offer the signals everywhere; and Evans knows he has to do that. And despite what we hear, players do use ADW's to lower their effective takeouts as we speak, and it might all be taken away in this mess, hurting everyone. It is a win-win-win issue that might get some play - horseman, tracks, players - and supporting someone to run the ship so this infighting doesnt screw up our game forever. Hell, maybe even someone in Cali would actually get a rebate after this. :bang:

Like I said, just my 2 cents, but I think thinking about the political angle is important in anything like this.

All sharp thoughts.

Indulto
05-31-2008, 01:14 PM
... I don't think the acronym is as important as the title, you want people to know what this org is from the name. If this is for the advancement of horseplayer/bettor interests, I say come right out and say it.

keep it simple and to the point. Those are the interests that are not being represented, That is the group that is currently not at the table. It distinguishes the group clearly from the rest of the industry, it has the mission built right in, but it is not limiting as to the interests we might pursue.

any horseplayer who sees that name might think supporting it would be a good idea.I agree, Chick.

I think the naming is bogging down because the objectives aren’t clear. I had originally thought the basic goal would be to organize horseplayers to bring their collective influence to bear as soon as possible on other stakeholders in the North American thoroughbred racing industry, in order to protect the financial interests of -- and improve the satisfaction from the game -- for most, if not all, of its members.

It is possible that others have less urgent goals in mind and might be more interested in the social interaction involved in the process than in obtaining the results I had in mind. That’s not a bad thing, but it wouldn’t be something I’m interested in pursuing.

I’m concerned that the window of opportunity to address a very few important objectives may close very shortly. Right now the public is aware of THOROUGHBRED racing because of 1) the potential for a TC winner, 2) the Eight Belles tragedy, and 3) the controversial horsemen action against the “double dippers,” which has revealed an anti-player component, remains unsettled.

In fairness, it is difficult to combine the conflicting priorities of a diverse group, few of whom (if any) know one another well. With no disrespect intended to anyone here, the transcripts and associated threads so far do not portray a group prone to quick, decisive, effective action.

With the procott, we had independent leadership that made things happen, but acted without deliberation. While there is now more volunteerism, no forceful leadership has yet emerged. My instinct is that we need to build on what “trackthieves” and “boycotttracknet” started rather than reinvent more wheels.

IMO a tough negotiator like rrb (trackthieves proprietor) needs to be balanced by a salesman (in the best sense) like JP. In any event, it will require two or three really take-charge, but popular and respected leaders who can quickly agree on a focused approach and then run with it for others to follow while still providing input.

Frankly, I would like to see those two guys get together, select a compatible support staff from among volunteers, and get the movement into gear with $25 donations (same as NTRA dues) from interested parties. If they decline, let others with similar experience and skills step forward.

I think anybody that is interested in wagering pari-mutuelly should be welcome, but I’m not sure we’re prepared to address player concerns for other than thoroughbred racing, or with racing outside this continent; even if racing industries elsewhere actually engage in anti-player practices.

Ideas like track ratings by customers seem worthwhile as protest tools, and that begs the question: Is this a movement intended to achieve meaningful change or not? If so, tell me where to send the money order and how I can be useful once you’re up and running on-line. ;)

beenacoach
05-31-2008, 01:39 PM
If we want this group to be something that is ongoing the name can not address a short time concern. It needs to be something that simply indicates that it is the united voice of the horseplayers/handicappers.
Getting too militant/offensive with the name will only make it harder to attact a broad base of membership and less likely to be taken seriously by the other parties involved.

Likewise the Mission Statement needs to expand a bit on he name and make it clear that we want the best for the industry as a whole and we are speaking as a single voice representing the masses of horseplayers that support the racing industry.

The name and Mission Statements need to stand the test of time and not be knee jerk reactions to the situation/climate that exists today.

Goals are much more short term and this is where you deal with what we want to see happen with the current issues in the game.

I think that the easiest way to get a place at the table is to appeal to a very broad spectrum of horse players in order to build a massive membership list and to make it clear that we are NOT short sighted and/or interested in only what is best for us but what is best for the Industry and everyone in it. We rant about the others in the process being greedy and not being willing to look at what is best for everyone and yet some would want our group to mirror that mistake. NOT a good idea, in my opinion.

I guess I would like to see us take on a more professional and reasoned approach, rather than fire breathing radicals bent on terrorism if we can not call the shots.

chickenhead
05-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I think that the easiest way to get a place at the table is to appeal to a very broad spectrum of horse players in order to build a massive membership list and to make it clear that we are NOT short sighted and/or interested in only what is best for us but what is best for the Industry and everyone in it. We rant about the others in the process being greedy and not being willing to look at what is best for everyone and yet some would want our group to mirror that mistake. NOT a good idea, in my opinion.

I think the fact is that if it is a group comprised of horseplayers, the group will reflect their interests. If you're interested in a broader, Horse Racing Beneficial Society, you are going to need a much larger inclusion beyond horseplayers, you need owners, trainers, breeders, and track executives.

I don't think it should in any way be assumed to be adversarial to express what horseplayers want, I think it should actually be taken as just the opposite. It is a major plus for a business to have it's customers tell it exactly what they want, and why, and why they think it is a win-win. (other) Companies spend millions of dollars trying to figure out what their customers want. Their is absolutely nothing wrong with customers coming together to try and persuade a company to offer them what they want.

I guess I would like to see us take on a more professional and reasoned approach, rather than fire breathing radicals bent on terrorism if we can not call the shots.

Can you point to any particular instance of this, or even anything remotely close to that? Horseplayers goals do NOT come at the expense of the industry. Horseplayers goals are not to hurt the industry. You can't voice concerns, suggestions, objectives, while being ashamed that you have a voice.

Horseplayers have a unique viewpoint that is different than the track executives, different than the owners, different than the trainers. It is good for the industry to have it be voiced. It should not require an apology to precede it or append it.

Indulto
05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
If we want this group to be something that is ongoing the name can not address a short time concern. It needs to be something that simply indicates that it is the united voice of the horseplayers/handicappers.

Getting too militant/offensive with the name will only make it harder to attact a broad base of membership and less likely to be taken seriously by the other parties involved.

Likewise the Mission Statement needs to expand a bit on he name and make it clear that we want the best for the industry as a whole and we are speaking as a single voice representing the masses of horseplayers that support the racing industry. AgreedThe name and Mission Statements need to stand the test of time and not be knee jerk reactions to the situation/climate that exists today.I am not advocating names like “trackthieves” or “boycotttracknet, only that their technical work and industry contacts not be wastedGoals are much more short term and this is where you deal with what we want to see happen with the current issues in the game.

I think that the easiest way to get a place at the table is to appeal to a very broad spectrum of horse players in order to build a massive membership list and to make it clear that we are NOT short sighted and/or interested in only what is best for us but what is best for the Industry and everyone in it.No argument.We rant about the others in the process being greedy and not being willing to look at what is best for everyone and yet some would want our group to mirror that mistake. NOT a good idea, in my opinion.Ranting can indeed be self-destructive, but so is ignoring actions with destructive effects on the group to be represented.I guess I would like to see us take on a more professional and reasoned approach, rather than fire breathing radicals bent on terrorism if we can not call the shots.Perhaps you could give examples of what you regard to be professionalism and terrorism in this context. Sounds like rhetoric more than reason to me.

Kelso
05-31-2008, 11:24 PM
IMO a tough negotiator like rrb (trackthieves proprietor) needs to be balanced by a salesman (in the best sense) like JP. In any event, it will require two or three really take-charge, but popular and respected leaders who can quickly agree on a focused approach and then run with it for others to follow while still providing input.

Frankly, I would like to see those two guys get together, select a compatible support staff from among volunteers, and get the movement into gear with $25 donations (same as NTRA dues) from interested parties. If they decline, let others with similar experience and skills step forward.
Solid points and each a bullseye. A very small group of focused, capable leaders to lay out the game plan for the rest of us to follow. (And clearly focused, narrowly defined goals established before a name selected.)

Anything more complex would hold little prospect of being an effective agent for improving the treatment of horseplayers.

Kelso
05-31-2008, 11:45 PM
make it clear that we are NOT short sighted and/or interested in only what is best for us but what is best for the Industry and everyone in it. We rant about the others in the process being greedy and not being willing to look at what is best for everyone and yet some would want our group to mirror that mistake. NOT a good idea, in my opinion.

I guess I would like to see us take on a more professional and reasoned approachSuch a group already exists, and it's controlled by clueless track managers and greedy horsemen. It's called the NTRA, and we've all seen how "professional and reasoned" THAT bunch has been in addressing concerns for OUR part of the game.

They're precisely the reason horseplayers need an organization to advocate for OUR concerns ... and not the concerns of any other interest group in racing.

Until the tracks and horsemen TAKE IT UPON THEMSELVES to set takeout below 10% and to provide universal signal (betting and TV) access, free data, free parking, free admission, and free programs (might as well throw in affordable beer and burgers, too) ... let 'em all play with themselves at the NTRA. And until then, we need our OWN organization, concerned only about US.

Kelso
05-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Horseplayers have a unique viewpoint that is different than the track executives, different than the owners, different than the trainers. It is good for the industry to have it be voiced. It should not require an apology to precede it or append it.What ChickenHead said! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

KingChas
06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I think there is going to be a thread with suggested names and then there will be a poll to see which one is most popular. Not sure if the most popular one automatically wins?

Stay tuned.

No disrespect John , but the statement above kind of turns me off already.
If the people vote the name in,your not sure it will be used.
Sound like we are voting in Florida.
If thats the case don't have the poll.
Sounds like veto power has already been established. :confused:

PS; As far as having to have international in the name.perhaps you could just have an international chapter.

highnote
06-01-2008, 12:32 PM
No disrespect John , but the statement above kind of turns me off already.
If the people vote the name in,your not sure it will be used.
Sound like we are voting in Florida.
If thats the case don't have the poll.
Sounds like veto power has already been established. :confused:

PS; As far as having to have international in the name.perhaps you could just have an international chapter.

No disrespect taken. I don't know the answer because in the War Room meeting I don't remember if it was ever agreed upon that the most popular name would win. (although I don't know why it wouldn't)

What if some person commits a malicious act of voting multiple times? I'm not saying anyone would, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. If that happens then I suppose there would have to be a revote.

It would be fine with me if the name that gets the most votes wins -- unless, of course, we want to set up some sort of electoral college system of voting. :D

PA can be a superdelegate. Maybe Tom could be one, too, since he has the most posts.

The votes of PA members with less than 1000 posts will be divided equally among PA members who are among the top posters. Then those top posters can select a delegate to represent their voting interests. Those delegates will then select the name. :bang:

Murph
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
This is not a vote and is not represented as such. We are polling the PA users for input. If a name is wildly popular we would do well to give that extra weight. If polling is close we (the naming committee) should consider those in context.

When it is time, there will be a vote on the name. Any vote will be organized and conducted in a meeting called to by the temporary committee chairman, swetyejohn.

If you would like to make a vote on the final name, please attend the meeting. We are preparing to ask for IDEAS on a best name for our group. We will poll for 10 days until our next meeting one week from Wenesday at a time determined by swetyejohn.

If you cannot attend to vote on your best name, then use the poll to help us represent you. We will make a valiant effort if we can sustain our starting momentum. I'm pretty sure we'll meet our first set goals in the time frame allowed. See the meeting transcripts.

Once the name is set, we have plans on proceeding with the structure and framework of the organization. Please, Lend us your support as a handicapper in any way that you can see fit.

Murph

highnote
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
The ball is rolling, but there is a lot to do to keep it rolling. Every handicapper is encouraged to participate!

KingChas
06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
It would be fine with me if the name that gets the most votes wins -- unless, of course, we want to set up some sort of electoral college system of voting. :D

PA can be a superdelegate. Maybe Tom could be one, too, since he has the most posts.

The votes of PA members with less than 1000 posts will be divided equally among PA members who are among the top posters. Then those top posters can select a delegate to represent their voting interests. Those delegates will then select the name. :bang:

Nice satire. :D

I was just prompting to see if becoming a member,
a members voice would be seriously heard. ;)