PDA

View Full Version : Solomini

Denny
04-14-2018, 11:32 AM
I took the 25-1 in the last Derby Futures.

I need a big effort today in the Ark Derby to make my bet look good.

What do you think?

Tom
04-14-2018, 12:17 PM
First start back, matched last year's top.
I thing he moves ahead today - maybe 98-102?
It is a Baffert....the MASTER of TC races.

Quesmark
04-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Always wonder when a horse like Solomini has a race over the track [OP],and is expected to run back soon there,why ship all the way to California[SA] to train just to come back 3 weeks later?
Wouldn't it be easier to leave the horse where it was to train up to the next start.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2018, 02:46 PM
He has some flaws (idles on the 2nd turn and struggles to change leads entering the stretch), but he is a good animal, and he responds well to Baffert's methods.

I think he's the most likely winner here in the Arkansas Derby, and given that he's 2nd-choice he's to be considered for a bet, but I'd guess that I'd want about 5/2 to really feel like I had an edge over the public. I don't expect 5/2. We've seen when there are two obvious co-favorites, and the kind of money they generally take.

He needs a dramatic improvement in his footwork to win the Derby or other legs(assuming good fields for Preakness, Belmont), but he can hit the board by just running his race.

Although he's not efficient, he has enough tactical speed as well as a big stamina edge.

Vinnie
04-14-2018, 03:13 PM
I have Solomini as having an outstanding recent work pattern. I feel the screws are going to be pretty tightened on him today. I think that it is going to be he and Magnum Moon. I hope that the Baffert charge can get it done in this years renewal of the Arkansas Derby.

CincyHorseplayer
04-14-2018, 04:04 PM
He's sittin on a big one. Big stretch duel because Magnum ain't no slouch. Solo for the W though!

Run Nicholas Run
04-14-2018, 04:31 PM
you made a good wager on Soli for the derby as long
as he gets there he has a chance.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2018, 05:30 PM
I feel the screws are going to be pretty tightened on him today.

That is for sure! :ThmbUp:

Think about it.

his 2nd string horse
very little risk of overtraining in this style of proven warrior
although he will run a top if he changes leads, he has peaked, and there is a narrow window for maximizing career value (blacktype, chance at big purse) TODAY.

He has absolutely no reason to not push this horse to the limit.

Vinnie
04-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Robert:

I always thoroughly enjoy your posts..... :headbanger:

I hope Solo can make it "mission accomplished" today. A seamless lead change would be nice to see. :)

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2018, 06:12 PM
He's my pick in the Ark Derby

GMB@BP
04-14-2018, 07:46 PM
That was some ride by Prat

Tom
04-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Horse always withing 2 lengths early - this pinhead has him back, wide, letting the leaders waltz up front.

Guy is an anchor.:puke::puke::puke:

This horse is a great Derby horse - OHIO derby.

Denny
04-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Think your right Tom. Glad I didn't bet very much.

He'll be 50-1 if they try the KD after what I saw today.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Prat and Santana rode like morons, but they weren't going to beat Magnum Moon today, even with great rides.

GMB@BP
04-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Prat and Santana rode like morons, but they weren't going to beat Magnum Moon today, even with great rides.

agree. I wonder how Solemini will run with a lot of pace where he is forced to rate....he feels like a horse with a big heart who hasnt been able to figure it all out yet.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2018, 11:34 PM
agree. I wonder how Solemini will run with a lot of pace where he is forced to rate....he feels like a horse with a big heart who hasnt been able to figure it all out yet.

He's dangerous.
Today he ran better than usual on the 2nd turn. Usually it's a weakness, but due to being a bit more off the pace he was in a fairly long drive.

No sense of urgency. Wasn't apparent that there was a plan at all out of the gate. No excuse for being the widest horse on the 1st turn.

Had to do the long drive thing. Was wide around the 2nd turn.

Did not change leads (not going to be easy when under a full-out drive while swinging wide. You'd think the jockey would anticipate and pull the reigns inward entering, because it's a recurring issue). Should have really been 5th, but his stamina is so good that even on the wrong lead after that trip managed to out-finish some horses to grab 3rd.

If he could change leads and get some momentum he could run a big race. Even with this kind of race, may be able to hit the board. Distance and class may actually help him show off his stamina.

GMB@BP
04-14-2018, 11:48 PM
He's dangerous.
Today he ran better than usual on the 2nd turn. Usually it's a weakness, but due to being a bit more off the pace he was in a fairly long drive.

No sense of urgency. Wasn't apparent that there was a plan at all out of the gate. No excuse for being the widest horse on the 1st turn.

Had to do the long drive thing. Was wide around the 2nd turn.

Did not change leads (not going to be easy when under a full-out drive while swinging wide. You'd think the jockey would anticipate and pull the reigns inward entering, because it's a recurring issue). Should have really been 5th, but his stamina is so good that even on the wrong lead after that trip managed to out-finish some horses to grab 3rd.

If he could change leads and get some momentum he could run a big race. Even with this kind of race, may be able to hit the board. Distance and class may actually help him show off his stamina.

He never changes lead, they have been trying hard to get him to do it....

Prat, great turf rider but on the dirt, meh. I am not sure he has ridden at Oaklawn before either.

Robert Fischer
04-15-2018, 12:02 AM
He never changes lead, they have been trying hard to get him to do it....

yup

he's one of those horses that they can get to change leads in the morning, but not the afternoon.

https://www.xbtv.com/video/tc18/solomini-inside-and-dabster-worked-6-furlongs-in-113-60-on-april-8th-2018-at-santa-anita-park/

I don't know (and I'm guessing it was not??) whether Prat is up on him in the mornings, but being patient into the turn, and giving him cues upon entering the stretch seems to work for him.

In a race you usually have to really be in a drive entering the 2nd turn, unless you are on or near a fast pace and getting a breather.

If it is Prat in the morning, it's just the difference in race stress vs. workouts, but if it is not Prat in the morning, they may do well to either get him up early, or find a jock who can.

I don't have a book on Prat, I just trusted him if Baffert trusts him. Today was a bad ride, but I don't remember a history of bad rides with him. Pretty nondescript from memory.