PDA

View Full Version : More Chaos in the Trump White House

Tom
03-29-2018, 10:42 AM
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/jobless-claims-fall-12000-to-215000-and-hit-lowest-level-since-1973-2018-03-29?link=TD_nypost_articles.7c7e0f416376f79f&utm_source=nypost_articles.7c7e0f416376f79f&utm_campaign=circular&utm_medium=MARKETWATCH

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2018, 10:49 AM
I'm sure this is a bad thing somehow...someone (either Clocker or elysiantraveller most likely) will post about the dangers of an "overheated" economy or whatever...

Kind of like the whole "Trade Deficits are awesome, what the hell are you talking about?" meme that recently went on here...

Somebody always has a negative counterbalance to any positive news or efforts being made when it comes to this administration...

elysiantraveller
03-29-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm sure this is a bad thing somehow...someone (either Clocker or elysiantraveller most likely) will post about the dangers of an "overheated" economy or whatever...

Kind of like the whole "Trade Deficits are awesome, what the hell are you talking about?" meme that recently went on here...

Somebody always has a negative counterbalance to any positive news or efforts being made when it comes to this administration...

Nope.

Economy is in good shape. I actually made this point talking about how great it is here when you guys harp on trade deficits...

Who the hell is going to make the shit to eat into that trade deficit?

Surprisingly no one answered. ;)

Tom
03-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Sure I did.
We have new people entering the work force every day.

We also have many leaving, but more available jobs, maybe that will diminish. Not everyone wants to leave.

Also, there are opportunities for people to move up from McJobs to take better jobs.

You can always look for reason why something will not work, but you will never get a solution that way.

You have to look for ways to make it work. Positive thinking translates to confidence. When people have confidence, they find solutions.

If push comes to shove, we can always recruit immigrants - you know, the legal way, looking for people to fill our needs.

Nothing makes a country stronger than a good economy and a smart immigration program.

elysiantraveller
03-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Sure I did.
We have new people entering the work force every day.

We also have many leaving, but more available jobs, maybe that will diminish. Not everyone wants to leave.

Also, there are opportunities for people to move up from McJobs to take better jobs.

You can always look for reason why something will not work, but you will never get a solution that way.

You have to look for ways to make it work. Positive thinking translates to confidence. When people have confidence, they find solutions.

If push comes to shove, we can always recruit immigrants - you know, the legal way, looking for people to fill our needs.

Nothing makes a country stronger than a good economy and a smart immigration program.

No you didn't.

You said "make babies."

Our workforce is currently shrinking. That's a cold hard fact. Our demographics are aging.

You can take all of your "positive thinking" and create more laborers with that. Probably won't go well.

Like I said in my first post the economy is strong right now... My point was directed at PA. We are at FULL EMPLOYMENT. Who is going to make the stuff to offset trade deficits? You haven't answered this at all. To quote your article:

Most companies have enough trouble finding skilled workers to fill open jobs that they are reluctant to see veteran employees go for any reason.

Good article on full employment here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/full-employment

incoming
03-29-2018, 12:01 PM
The New Democrat Party has killed off over 60,000,000 workers and tax payers over the past 40 years. :popcorn::popcorn:

Clocker
03-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Looks like good news to me. Why does anyone that ever posts any negative comments about The Donald get labeled a Trump Hater? Most of what he actually did in the first year was good, which is why the economy is doing well.

The stuff he is talking about now is bad and will hurt the economy, especially tariffs. There is nothing wrong with a trade deficit. The last time we didn't have one for any long period of time was about 100 years ago, and it contributed to the Great Depression.

I have posted sources showing why a trade deficit is not bad for the country, but very few comment on them or try to provide evidence to the contrary, they just accuse me and a few others of being Trump haters.

I don't remember anyone here arguing objectively against the "the whole "Trade Deficits are awesome, what the hell are you talking about?" meme", they just dismiss it as nonsense, contrary to common sense, and Trump hatred. And evidence I have posted to show how tariffs have hurt the country has also been ignored.

AndyC
03-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Our workforce is currently shrinking. That's a cold hard fact. Our demographics are aging.

You can take all of your "positive thinking" and create more laborers with that. Probably won't go well.

Like I said in my first post the economy is strong right now... My point was directed at PA. We are at FULL EMPLOYMENT. Who is going to make the stuff to offset trade deficits? You haven't answered this at all...

Are you suggesting that our factories are all running at full capacity? Also in today's world ramping up production doesn't mean that labor needs to be increased dramatically. Automation is what will make the "stuff".

biggestal99
03-29-2018, 01:39 PM
The New Democrat Party has killed off over 60,000,000 workers and tax payers over the past 40 years. :popcorn::popcorn:

But they immigrated quite a few.

Allan

biggestal99
03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
No you didn't.

You said "make babies."

Our workforce is currently shrinking.

Already happening.

One birth in the US every 8 seconds

One death every 11 seconds

One new immigrant every 29 seconds

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Our workforce may be shrinking.

But our population is growing (good for the GDP)

Allan

elysiantraveller
03-29-2018, 01:54 PM
Are you suggesting that our factories are all running at full capacity? Also in today's world ramping up production doesn't mean that labor needs to be increased dramatically. Automation is what will make the "stuff".

But the argument For Tariffs is those great manufacturing jobs.

People on the Trump side of this argument can't have it both ways.

elysiantraveller
03-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Already happening.

One birth in the US every 8 seconds

One death every 11 seconds

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Our workforce may be shrinking.

But our population is growing (good for the GDP)

Allan

Good answer... I stand corrected.

Growing slowly.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2015/article/labor-force-projections-to-2024-1.htm

Tom
03-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Legal or illegal? :rolleyes:

chadk66
03-29-2018, 08:40 PM
it's just swamp draining.

incoming
03-30-2018, 01:02 AM
But the argument For Tariffs is those great manufacturing jobs.

People on the Trump side of this argument can't have it both ways.

Let me clue you in...automation creates many very well paying jobs.

Clocker
03-30-2018, 01:43 AM
Economy is in good shape. I actually made this point talking about how great it is here when you guys harp on trade deficits...

Who the hell is going to make the shit to eat into that trade deficit?

Tariffs on steel to combat the trade deficit will result in higher steel prices in this country. I have seen no one here or in the government even try to argue against that.

Higher steel prices mean more costs to Americans that make stuff out of steel. They have to pass those costs on to their customers in higher prices. Trump's campaign people stated from the beginning that would happen.

So if tariffs result in higher costs for American manufacturers, and that results in higher prices for American-made goods, how do we increase the sale of those more expensive goods overseas to reduce the trade deficit?

incoming
03-30-2018, 02:11 AM
Tariffs on steel to combat the trade deficit will result in higher steel prices in this country. I have seen no one here or in the government even try to argue against that.

Higher steel prices mean more costs to Americans that make stuff out of steel. They have to pass those costs on to their customers in higher prices. Trump's campaign people stated from the beginning that would happen.

So if tariffs result in higher costs for American manufacturers, and that results in higher prices for American-made goods, how do we increase the sale of those more expensive goods overseas to reduce the trade deficit?

Negotiating lower tariff on exports and send illegal aliens packing.
In other words...build the wall...cut the trade deficits.

elysiantraveller
03-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Let me clue you in...automation creates many very well paying jobs.

You are now arguing in circles... automation the leading driver of loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector is now the leading job creator? :pound:

Everyone here should enroll or re-enroll in a Econ course.

incoming
03-30-2018, 09:31 AM
You are now arguing in circles... automation the leading driver of loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector is now the leading job creator? :pound:

Everyone here should enroll or re-enroll in a Econ course.

If automation increase production at less cost that means they will need more materials from suppliers. This would create more jobs down range while decreasing consumer prices.....that is as simple as I can make it. :jump:

lamboguy
03-30-2018, 10:05 AM
the more controversy that Trump shuffles, the higher his poll numbers get. he lost plenty of Evangelical support but is picking up more than his share of liberals now, not the ultra liberals though.

without a doubt, this guy knows how to play this game, he takes plenty of body slams, but quietly is doing the best job i have ever seen from any president before him.

incoming
03-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Stable Genius....it fits :headbanger::popcorn::popcorn:

Parkview_Pirate
03-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Of course employment numbers are only part of the economic picture, and the ones we get from Uncle Sam are pretty distorted.

I prefer the numbers from ShadowStats, which show unemployment above 20%, with a recent bend up earlier this year.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

When you take into account real wages, part-time and underemployment numbers, the average Joe has it pretty rough. Back 40-50 years ago, most families got by on one income. Today, it's a rarity.

Charles Hugh Smith has a pretty good handle on employment and the economy, IMHO, and has some nice charts to back up his posts. This recent one shows the "robust" economy we enjoy today is all at the higher end of the spectrum. Not a good formula for stability. The demographics on this forum are more likely skewed to the high side as well (since we're mostly 50+ pups), and don't reflect the experiences of the average American, if there is such a critter.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blogmar18/4-cycles3-18.html

With Trump set up to take the fall when the market goes south, then his supporters will be singing a different tune - not that it'll be his fault, but that's the price of being at the wheel when you hit the iceberg.

biggestal99
03-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Legal or illegal? :rolleyes:

For GDP purposes it doesnt matter.

another body buying stuff.

Allan

Tom
03-30-2018, 05:09 PM
We could use a few less.

davew
04-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Coming soon to lib media ->

Trump is inviting Putin to the White House to help plan the mid-term elections...

barahona44
04-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Coming soon to lib media ->

Trump is inviting Putin to the White House to help plan the mid-term elections...

Putin pulling up to the White House main gate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJCRQ9gEhA

CincyHorseplayer
04-02-2018, 01:52 PM
To the thread title. There is too much hostility in the White House. They got a pool. Go JFK and get some bitches naked and take a dip Mr President!:cool:

woodtoo
04-02-2018, 05:55 PM
To the thread title. There is too much hostility in the White House. They got a pool. Go JFK and get some bitches naked and take a dip Mr President!:cool:

You trying to write some CNN headlines :lol: