PDA

View Full Version : Chief Wahoo

GaryG
01-29-2018, 03:21 PM
The chief is retiring to the reservation after this season. He has been the Indians' primary logo since 1947. Is it just me or is that block C incredibly lame? They have been the Indians since 1915 and will continue to be, much to the chagrin of the PC folks in Toronto that made such an issue of it at the playoffs last year. Maybe he will see Chief Noc-a-homa who was the mascot of the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves from 1950-86.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/01/cleveland_indians_58.html

burnsy
01-29-2018, 05:42 PM
I'm a Yankee fan, but i love that logo! Its one of the best!

barahona44
01-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Purchased one in 1990 at the HOF, (along with a few other team shirts that were not available in my neck of the woods such as the Mariners, White Sox and Astros)has still held up, good quality.Love Chief Wahoo but I understand why some people might be offended.However, I still will wear it.

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Thanks for reminding me I need to buy a new Yankees cap. I also bought a Cleveland Indians hat as a collector's item...

NJ Stinks
01-29-2018, 07:57 PM
I bought my Cleveland Indian cap in Cleveland about 12 years ago. I bought it because the Chief makes the Indians hat pretty cool IMO. Put a C on the hat and I'm thinking Chicago - not Cleveland.

Hey, I bought a Cardinals hat in St. Louis a while ago because I like the look of the Cardinal sitting on the bat.

Sue me. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
01-29-2018, 08:01 PM
This is crap

Marshall Bennett
01-30-2018, 05:06 AM
This is crap
It really is. Don't be surprised if statues depicting notorious cowboys don't start coming down. Anything in public view with "Indian" written on it removed, ect.

barahona44
01-30-2018, 09:46 AM
It really is. Don't be surprised if statues depicting notorious cowboys don't start coming down. Anything in public view with "Indian" written on it removed, ect.

Does that include statues of Gandhi? :D

Teach
01-30-2018, 02:37 PM
The Indians could replace Chief Wahoo with a depiction of the Cuyahoga River (it was once on fire years ago because of the pollution). Other possibilities could be a rendering of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Or, maybe, Lebron James. On second thought...

If you can find a picture of Chief Wahoo from between the years 1946 to 1950, you could easily see why they changed his image.

What is this all leading up to? Soon, we'll see ornithologists saying they want to change the Orioles and Blue Jays. Blatant discrimination against birds.

Even the New York Yankees might have to change their logo. When the English took over New York (formerly New Netherlands) from the Dutch, the Dutch mocked the English coming off the boat by calling them "Johnny Cake". Dutch words are: Jan Kees, thus corrupted into the word: Yankees. Too demeaning to those of Dutch ancestry.

Racetrack Playa
01-30-2018, 03:10 PM
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/10/mascot_hats.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

GaryG
01-30-2018, 05:05 PM
I would have thought of something else for San Francisco.......:lol:

Racetrack Playa
01-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Yeah , hows about the left-handed lesbian albino midget eskimos , is that close GaryG. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2018, 10:00 PM
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/10/mascot_hats.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpgYup, it's a pretty racist hat...I'm surprised it lasted this long.

pandy
01-30-2018, 11:26 PM
Very strange. The team name is Indians and they can't put a logo of an Indian on their uniforms. Nutty. MLB must have come down on them because they are still going to sell merchandize with the logo.

Rutgers
01-31-2018, 12:44 AM
Why is Chief Wahoo (and Chief Illiniwek) offensive but not the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the leprechaun logo?

NJ Stinks
01-31-2018, 01:46 AM
I understand the guys who play for the SF Chinamen insist on being paid in cash. :coffee:

reckless
02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Because major league sports -- NFL, MLB are just two -- are truly run by the major television and cable media giants for the sole benefit of sponsors and corporate 'partners', politically correct stupidity will continue to rear its ugly head and run amok.

Some day, boys and girls, the light bulb will go off and we, the sucker -- make that, lifelong, die-hard 'fans' -- will see that major league sports is nothing more than a glitzy infomercial of which we pay mucho bucks for the privilege of viewing.

Tom
02-03-2018, 08:44 PM
BS. Taking a knee to disrespect the nation if perfectly ok, but a logo is not?
Personally, I never watched a baseball game after the strike. Billionaires arguing with millionaires. Never missed it once.

MLB can :kiss: my arse. No talent, just spitting and scratching - like some kind of semi-tamed animals. My apologies to tamed animals.

ponyplayerdotca
02-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, Florida State Seminoles, Chicago Blackhawks.

I'm sure the fans in Atlanta and Kansas City doing the "Tomahawk Chop" to rally their teams, or the horse riding duo of Osceola and Renegade storming up and down the field to fire up Florida State fans are rituals just as "offensive" to Native Americans and others. I'm not sure why Chief Wahoo is the predominant figure taking the heat for all of these teams.

St. John's changed their nickname from "Redmen" to "Red Storm" before the 1994-95 season. The Washington Bullets changed their nickname to Wizards in 1997 (due to the murder connotation). Both of those teams seemed to move on from their past without much fanfare (in retrospect).

Times have changed. People's sensibilities have evolved (for better or worse).

Personally, I don't care much. Either leave all be as are, or change them all and move on.

But to keep having these ongoing issues revisited every year is tiresome.

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2018, 01:14 AM
They probably should change the team name next.

Cleveland Indians...WTF is that anyway?

Would we stand for a team named Cleveland Blacks? Or Cleveland African Americans? Or Kansas Whiteys? Or how about the Florida Hispanics?

Do it right, damnit...

Marshall Bennett
02-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Then you might as well head down the long list..such as Eskimos, Rajin Cajins, Cowboys, ect.
Not to mention the scores of animal species that are offended. :lol:

GaryG
02-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Regardless how you feel about Daniel Snyder he took a stand and refused to yield. They are, and will always be, the Redskins. I think the problem with Wahoo is that he is kind of goofy looking. Stanford was the Indians not long ago. Their chant at football games was "Give em the ax, the ax, the ax".

Teach
02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Our high school's nickname was The Wolfpack, like North Carolina State. No one complained, even the zoophobic. Our football cheer: "Pursue Them...Pursue Them...Make Them Relinquish the Ball"

Racetrack Playa
02-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Uneducated guess ,
Ohio is home to more Asian Indians than American Indians.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Z7HGr9y0FMMVLwNvQkEMQwHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Tom
02-04-2018, 05:26 PM
They probably should change the team name next.

Cleveland Indians...WTF is that anyway?

Would we stand for a team named Cleveland Blacks? Or Cleveland African Americans? Or Kansas Whiteys? Or how about the Florida Hispanics?

Do it right, damnit...

OK.....ERIE Indians!

Racetrack Playa
02-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Cleveland could have resolved this 25 years ago, they chose not to,fat greedy ducks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLGSlHRee8

HalvOnHorseracing
02-04-2018, 08:47 PM
I just know that, for me, the worst cheer in sports is that Tomahawk Chop and the accompanying chant.

JustRalph
02-05-2018, 12:20 AM
Uneducated guess ,
Ohio is home to more Asian Indians than American Indians.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Z7HGr9y0FMMVLwNvQkEMQwHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Ding!

But Ohio has a rich American Indian history due to 5 major tribes in the State. Those Tribes died off or were driven from the state early on.

pandy
02-05-2018, 08:17 AM
I wonder how MLB came to the conclusion that Wahoo should not be on the uniforms? Did they do a poll? I find it hard to believe that most Indians were bothered by the logo. I did read that some Indians were disappointed that the logo was being removed. If this keeps up, years from now people will forget that Indians exist.

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Anyone who looks at the Chief Wahoo image and isn't struck by its outright stereotypical racism is kidding themselves. And for all those wondering, I'm being dead serious here.

pandy
02-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Anyone who looks at the Chief Wahoo image and isn't struck by its outright stereotypical racism is kidding themselves. And for all those wondering, I'm being dead serious here.

To me he looks like a happy Indian. I don't think this was Cleveland's decision. They are keeping Wahoo on their fan merchandise. MLB must have tried to get them to change their name and delete Wahoo and they probably compromised.

Isn't the Fighting Irish logo a stereotype? Does it suggest that the Irish are rogue brawlers?

Marshall Bennett
02-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Why did it take 70 years to make Wahoo an issue? I suppose the same reason it took a hundred or more years for all those statues to become offensive.
Few are actually offended at all. There's just many that want to exhibit their ability to empower and force change. More is certainly to come, just watch. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Or it could be, when you really look at the Chief, it's really ****ing offensive.

Hearkens back to the black-face-stereotypes of years gone by...maybe you don't find those offensive either?

And yeah, I still bought a hat...but I'm a self-acknowledged-asshole....at least I can admit it.

barahona44
02-05-2018, 01:18 PM
To me he looks like a happy Indian. I don't think this was Cleveland's decision. They are keeping Wahoo on their fan merchandise. MLB must have tried to get them to change their name and delete Wahoo and they probably compromised.

Isn't the Fighting Irish logo a stereotype? Does it suggest that the Irish are rogue brawlers?

Yes we are.Only thing missing from the ND logo is a bottle of Jameson's (Bushmills is for Protestants).

But don't ask me, I'm just a stupid, drunken harp. :D ::cool:

pandy
02-05-2018, 02:04 PM
I wonder what other stereotypes we're going to get rid of. TV and movies often show Italians as dumb and violent criminals. Which I do actually find offensive. But maybe in the future, gangsters will be more politically correct.

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2018, 02:18 PM
To be fair (and I'm 1/2 Italian), the mafia is real, is comprised mostly of Italians, and they are usually violent...not sure about the dumb part, but that can apply to almost anybody...:lol:

FantasticDan
02-05-2018, 02:58 PM
I just know that, for me, the worst cheer in sports is that Tomahawk Chop and the accompanying chant.
Man, you got that right. How even the home fans aren't annoyed by that #&%! drone going on and on all game, I just don't know..

I know the Braves do it, and the FSU Seminoles.. who else?

Marshall Bennett
02-05-2018, 04:20 PM
The Aggies at Texas A&M have been the butt of jokes centered around stupidity for decades. Can you imagine if this were an all-black school, or if Aggies were a tribe of Indians?

jocko699
02-06-2018, 03:06 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/06/notre-dames-fighting-irish-fight-so-its-come-to-this-leprechauns-are-racist.html

pandy
02-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Oh geez, LOL. I didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

Racetrack Playa
02-06-2018, 06:46 PM
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.gKO9C45Ofcrj3fJ4RjQQIAHaDf&pid=15.1&P=0&w=356&h=168