PDA

View Full Version : Template for tracking races I've played

Gasser57
07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
As a new handicapper, I've read how important it is to keep records of races and learn from them. I've done some searching online for some Excel templates for this, but haven't come up with anything. Can anyone direct me to some basic templates that capture the essentials you should keep track of? I'm not looking for anything to help with handicapping future races - just something that captures the vitals of races I've played.

Thanks for any guidance.

green80
07-12-2017, 02:29 PM
As a new handicapper, I've read how important it is to keep records of races and learn from them. I've done some searching online for some Excel templates for this, but haven't come up with anything. Can anyone direct me to some basic templates that capture the essentials you should keep track of? I'm not looking for anything to help with handicapping future races - just something that captures the vitals of races I've played.

Thanks for any guidance.

A record of races you have played will show you where your have had success and areas where you need improvement, and will likely be you most important tool helping handicap future races.

HalvOnHorseracing
07-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks for any guidance.

Are you betting through an ADW or going to the track? If you're betting through an ADW they have a record of all the bets you've made and collections.

Gasser57
07-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Are you betting through an ADW or going to the track? If you're betting through an ADW they have a record of all the bets you've made and collections.

I use Bovada. It tracks the horse's number and whether I won or lost but that's it. I'm looking for something with columns for important data and conditions I should record to learn from - good or bad. I'll probably just read on the vitals to record and create my own template.

jay68802
07-13-2017, 01:57 PM
1. Age
2: Class ( Maiden, Maiden Claiming, Claiming, Allowance (OC), Stakes
3: Surface
4: Sprint or route

You will soon learn your strengths and weaknesses.

HuggingTheRail
07-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Without knowing your specific handicapping style, it is tough to comment on what specific columns you would want. Jay's list in the previous post gets you started...

Start with everything you think you could possibly want - it is easier to remove or hide columns as they become unimportant to you, but very hard to go back and rebuild

When I first tracked, one thing I went back and added, which didn't occur to me during initial setup......winning odds and finish position of the favourite.

It may be worth doing a mockup in Excel and post it, the visual prompt may help others chime in???

jay68802
07-13-2017, 03:42 PM
A start

jay68802
07-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Trying to get a file attached.

whodoyoulike
07-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Thanks for any guidance.

If you're entering the data manually it will be tedious as hell.

You may want to print out a PP from Bris which you can get free or DRF which has a very similar format. I've also used another source to handicap with a completely different format but I can't recall the products** exact name at this time. And, print out a race chart to see the info provided there. There's a lot of data between the PP and chart and just cherry pick which info you want to track.

Be prepared to redo your items (many times). This is the way I started mine 30 years ago.

** The product may have been the Daily Racing Digest and uncertain if it's still produced but it had a completely different format which had many so called important items one needed to consider. It's been at least over 25 years since I've used it.

zerosky
07-13-2017, 05:46 PM
a lot of folks download result data files, bris has sample files.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/HTML/samples.html

Gasser57
07-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Trying to get a file attached.

Thanks jay - this should serve as an excellent jumping off point!

Gasser57
07-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks to all for some great suggestions and a nice starter template! I already use the Brisnet/downthestretch free PPs, and they'll be great if I want to include some speed/pace/class info. Race result charts are also a great idea to cull data from.

Longshot6977
07-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Don't forget to add a column for type of bet like exacta, trifecta, daily double etc. Then you can see where your strengths and weaknesses are in regards to those bet types. (if you make them, other than WPS).

JustRalph
07-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Equisim has this built in......

I think this still works

http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/EquiSim-ROI.html