PDA

View Full Version : Horse that run at Tampa

PowerUpPaynter
04-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Good day,

Isnt it true that most horses that come out of Tampa do not keep Tampa form good or bad... I feel like over the years there has been a bunch of horses that looked a lot better in Tampa then they ended up being or vice versa. No data to support my statement there just from memory. Can someone confirm or deny?

Elliott Sidewater
04-13-2017, 11:10 AM
That's an interesting observation, because the season will end on Derby Day and then the horses will scatter. More recently Delaware Park has become "Tampa Bay Downs north". So many trainers have made their season schedules around these 2 tracks' racing dates. I guess it makes sense, the level of competition is similar and this way the trainers only have to move twice a year. But that is where the similarity ends......year after year the fields are getting shorter at Delaware, the handle is putrid, and the purses never recovered to where they were before they banned smoking inside the racino. It's about the same drive for me to go to Parx or to Delaware, and I haven't been to Delaware in at least 5 years. Pity, because it was great from about 1997 to 2003, and the place has always been a great place to spend a day racing with the shaded picnic grounds and beautiful paddock area.

Mc990
04-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Good day,

Isnt it true that most horses that come out of Tampa do not keep Tampa form good or bad... I feel like over the years there has been a bunch of horses that looked a lot better in Tampa then they ended up being or vice versa. No data to support my statement there just from memory. Can someone confirm or deny?

Super saver and street sense won the derby. Ring weekend turned out to be a nice horse.

Destin and Verrazano are perfect examples of what happens when spring 3 yr olds run too fast too soon. This will not be an issue for any horses coming out of Tampa this year

SoCalCircuit
04-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Good day,

This is accurate, but for a generally simple reason. If a trainer knows he has a top horse, he's not doing the Tampa route to the Derby. If he has a horse who can't compete with the GP horses, he takes the easy Tampa points (or grades stakes earnings pre-points).

yankeelpn
04-14-2017, 03:48 AM
This is accurate, but for a generally simple reason. If a trainer knows he has a top horse, he's not doing the Tampa route to the Derby. If he has a horse who can't compete with the GP horses, he takes the easy Tampa points (or grades stakes earnings pre-points).

How about Street Sense?