PDA

View Full Version : Post position

Actor
08-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Having been handicapping for three decades I should probably know this.

Let's say it's a 6 horse race with each horse at the following post positions in the program.

1. Cigar
2. Man O'War
3. My Answer
4. Seabiscuit
5. Secretariat
6. War Admiral

If My Answer is scratched do Seabiscuit, Secrerariat and War Admiral still start from physical gates 4,5,6 or are they moved closer to the rail to start from gates 3,4,5?

EMD4ME
08-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Let's say it's a 6 horse race with each horse at the following post positions in the program.

1. Cigar
2. Man O'War
3. My Answer
4. Seabiscuit
5. Secretariat
6. War Admiral

If My Answer is scratched do Seabiscuit, Secrerariat and War Admiral still start from physical gates 4,5,6 or are they moved closer to the rail to start from gates 3,4,5?

99% of the time, they slide in 1 spot. I don't know why in the 1% that they don't slide over. Could be because they don't want to back out a couple of runners, time restraints, storm coming etc.

Tom
08-06-2016, 10:10 AM
If Secretariat stays in, I think a couple more would scratch out. :D

green80
08-14-2016, 02:08 PM

1. Cigar
2. Man O'War
3. My Answer
4. Seabiscuit
5. Secretariat
6. War Admiral

They all move in 1 position to cover the hole left by the scratch horse.

In short fields, I have seen some of the smaller tracks leave the one hole open in races where there is a short run to the first turn, so the one horse actually come out the 2 hole and so on.

Donttellmeshowme
08-14-2016, 03:35 PM

1. Cigar
2. Man O'War
3. My Answer
4. Seabiscuit
5. Secretariat
6. War Admiral

Ive seen it done both ways but usually the move closer to the rail this drawing the 3,4,5 posts

deelo
08-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Additionally, I've seen a lot of tracks even with a late scratch at the gate, they'll hop up and move all the runners in a spot quick