PDA

View Full Version : Database filtering/query question re:trainers

Milkshaker
04-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Please excuse my ignorance on this...I am just beginning to embrace the idea of leveraging database info in my handicapping.

I have played around with Ed Bain's website, and a bit of the free track-specific stuff that is available on Statsmaster.

I would be interested in learning of any commercial software that might be available to run these types of queries:

For example--I would like to see a list of North American trainers who have more than X starts in a certain time frame AND a win percentage above Y AND an ROI above Z.

Or...

I would like to see a list of trainers with the highest win percentages/ROIs in 7f races.

Or...

I would like to see a list of trainers with the highest win percentages/ROIs with first-time starter fillies....then see the same info for colts/geldings.

Hopefully you get the idea...

Is this type of info something I could tap into without building my own database? Willing to pay for it, just not up for investing the time/skills needed to construct these sorts of queries on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Schwartz
04-09-2016, 11:17 PM
We have some of that in our software but it might be a bit pricey for you. (http://store.pacemakestherace.com/the-horsestreet-handicapper/)

4,000 factors for each horse, etc.

Does NOT come with a database.

acorn54
04-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Is this type of info something I could tap into without building my own database? Willing to pay for it, just not up for investing the time/skills needed to construct these sorts of queries on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

don't mean to be a party pooper. but the days of data base info giving the small fry an edge in the paramutuel market of horse wagering are no more. nowadays about 14 to 20 percent of the monies in the pools are from a handful of programmers who constantly update their betting programs to adapt to the changing dynamics and betting patterns of other betting interests.
you are facing a very difficult way of growing money in this day and age of horse betting. these are not the halcyon days when a good size of the betting pools are people betting their social security numbers or a "professor x's" system. almost EVERYONE is trying to do what you are trying to do, make a little extra money.

DeltaLover
04-10-2016, 08:13 AM

If you are interested in this kind of research, it makes sense to spend some quality time leaning about data bases and build your own.

More than this, simple queries like the ones you are describing here, will certainly not get you very far in horse betting. If you are serious about DB handicapping you need to dive deep in the data and based on what you are saying here the required skills are way beyond your level.

Capper Al
04-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Milk,

It sounds like you're ready for a db by having specific information that you want to follow. I would recommend starting off with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel. The Excel spreadsheet is a useful tool and good for gathering small amounts of data going into and coming out of a db, but not necessary. What makes Access a good place to start is that you might already have it your Microsoft Office, so it's free. And most anything that you need to learn can be found on YouTube. Yes, there are better dbs out there and Access has limitations when you get into 100,000 or so of records, but for most these limitations won't matter. It's a good place to start.