PDA

View Full Version : The FreeComputer Anti Virus Programs?

Flysofree
02-27-2016, 10:20 AM
How effective can they be and should they be trusted if one never buys their program? Not meant to sound paranoid, but free ? Is it for applause?

Tom
02-27-2016, 11:38 AM
I use AVG Free and have never had a problem.

Clocker
02-27-2016, 12:17 PM
I have used Avast for years without a problem.

Flysofree
02-27-2016, 01:19 PM
I have used Avast for years without a problem.

Have you tried AVG at some time?

Longshot6977
02-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Have you tried AVG at some time?

AVG is a memory hog at idle and during a scan. Here is a list of most free AV programs. According to the charts halfway down the page, it looks like Avast doesn't use much memory. How effective they are, that is a different issue.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/2/

forced89
02-27-2016, 05:58 PM
I used Free AVG for many years with no problems but got a bug up my butt the other day and decided (based on nothing) that something you pay for has to be better. I bought ESET Smart Security for about $40; put it on my laptop; and continue to have no problems. I haven't the foggiest idea if it is an upgrade or not!!

mikesal57
02-28-2016, 09:28 AM
The combo Avast and Spy Bot has protected me for years... for FREE!!

Flysofree
03-02-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm using the free version of AVG and the paid for version of MalwareBytes.

AVG seems to do more that what I would think from a free system in terms of updates which require restarts. I'm very computer illiterate, but Malware Bytes (paid version) doesn't require computer restarts to to their updates. However, the "big boys", I'm referring to Microsoft often require a restart after their updates.

What I'm getting at here is it seems that AVG, goes to a lot of trouble for something that's free.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm using the free version of AVG and the paid for version of MalwareBytes.

AVG seems to do more that what I would think from a free system in terms of updates which require restarts. I'm very computer illiterate, but Malware Bytes (paid version) doesn't require computer restarts to to their updates. However, the "big boys", I'm referring to Microsoft often require a restart after their updates.

What I'm getting at here is it seems that AVG, goes to a lot of trouble for something that's free.I've never had a Windows PC require a restart after updating a Microsoft Anti-Virus program (either Microsoft Security Essentials or Defender).

Flysofree
03-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Sometimes Microsoft's regular updates require a restart, not Always.
Also if you have the updates done automatically, rather than manually then you likely would never see a restart.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Sometimes Microsoft's regular updates require a restart, not Always.
Also if you have the updates done automatically, rather than manually then you likely would never see a restart.Well yes. Most Microsoft updates require a restart. But if you're simply updating only their anti-virus program, this never requires a restart. I guess I read you wrong.

Dave Schwartz
03-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Microsoft Admits That Third-Party Antivirus Is More Effective Than MSE

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

There are more articles like this out there, where MS admits that Security Essentials is weak.

MS Defender is probably not much better.

Longshot6977
03-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Microsoft Admits That Third-Party Antivirus Is More Effective Than MSE

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

There are more articles like this out there, where MS admits that Security Essentials is weak.

MS Defender is probably not much better.

That article is from Oct '13. Back then, it was true. But per this month's PC Pro article on the best free AV apps, they say MS Security Essentials and Defender have gotten MUCH better in the last 90 days and in the near future. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2016, 03:51 PM
All I know is Windows 10 Defender is updating itself every single freakin' day with new virus signatures...getting a bit annoying, but I guess it's better than not updating itself... :lol:

Longshot6977
03-04-2016, 09:58 PM
All I know is Windows 10 Defender is updating itself every single freakin' day with new virus signatures...getting a bit annoying, but I guess it's better than not updating itself... :lol:

I don't use Win10, but can't you get it to update in the background so it's transparent?

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm sure it does upgrade in the background...but every time I manually check for updates (which has been almost every day on my new laptop), it is always downloading new virus signature updates...

NorCalGreg
03-06-2016, 07:46 PM
The combo Avast and Spy Bot has protected me for years... for FREE!!

I just put Avast on my comp---nice interface. I hate to say this---since I could have infected the entire board--but I didn't have ANYTHING

Thought I did--but all I had was MalewareBytes. I put zonealarm on here--but that still isn't an anti-virus...furthermore, it seems to have disappeard!

Anyway, thanks to the OP for bringing this up and reminding us to check. Good call on Avast, mike :ThmbUp:

cj
03-06-2016, 08:41 PM
I use Panda now and it has been fabulous. No problems at all for two years.

Flysofree
03-08-2016, 07:21 AM
I just put Avast on my comp---nice interface. I hate to say this---since I could have infected the entire board--but I didn't have ANYTHING

Thought I did--but all I had was MalewareBytes. I put zonealarm on here--but that still isn't an anti-virus...furthermore, it seems to have disappeard!

Anyway, thanks to the OP for bringing this up and reminding us to check. Good call on Avast, mike :ThmbUp:

Does Avast check incoming emails? AVG does which gives me a warm and fuzzy, but I do think AVG, even the free version may be a resource hog as someone here suggested. Would like to take a look at Avast, but that probably requires that I delete AVG first.

NorCalGreg
03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Does Avast check incoming emails? AVG does which gives me a warm and fuzzy, but I do think AVG, even the free version may be a resource hog as someone here suggested. Would like to take a look at Avast, but that probably requires that I delete AVG first.

Not real sure about that e-mail checking, but what I thought was cool---I started to download a program--Avast stopped it--scanned it--then gave it the OK to continue. It does that sort of thing automatically, so I'm sure e-mail is the same. I haven't set it up for email, specifically...but it does have a password-program included--keeps all your passwords for you.

Is your comp running slow? If not---I wouldn't worry about AVG using up resources--if it's working fine for you.

good luck

-NCG

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Internet Explorer (or is it Edge now) also scans downloads before saving them to your drive...