PDA

View Full Version : States With Surcharges (restrict bettors)

pandy
02-26-2016, 09:05 AM
This is directed to HANA. Pennsylvania passed a new racing bill this week that eliminates their ominous 10% tax. This should allow bettors in the state of PA. to get their betting accounts with rebate ADW's back.

My question to HANA is, do you have a list of all states that have surcharges that restrict bettors from doing business with out of state ADWs?

DeanT
03-04-2016, 03:50 PM
That's a good question Bob.

VA was the first, but others have followed suit. There are differing source market fees of a different nature as well. It's all a big morass. Let me have a look to see if I can come up with something. Jeff has been into this more than me (mainly from complaints from internet/ADW bettors)

pandy
03-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Thank you.

Afleet
06-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Fairmount Park and I believe Trackside in Illinois, have a tax on winning tickets! So after I pay a 20-25% take I get to pay a fee on cashing a ticket-unbelieveable

pandy
06-04-2017, 06:00 PM
As it turned out, even though Pa. dropped the 10% charge, they still have other charges that prohibit most ADW's from accepting customers from the state of Pennsylvania. So once again, we see that the state of PA. does not understand the racing business or it's customer base.

LemonSoupKid
10-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Fairmount Park and I believe Trackside in Illinois, have a tax on winning tickets! So after I pay a 20-25% take I get to pay a fee on cashing a ticket-unbelieveable

Yes, OTB in IL is extra 2.5%

Aggravating

At least now I'll feel better that when I hit I cash and walking out of there, not looking back, I think you know what I'm saying.

Ian Meyers
10-18-2017, 06:14 PM
As it turned out, even though Pa. dropped the 10% charge, they still have other charges that prohibit most ADW's from accepting customers from the state of Pennsylvania. So once again, we see that the state of PA. does not understand the racing business or it's customer base.

Pennsylvania charges non-racetracks $500,000 for an initial ADW license. That's NOT a typo. Annual renewals a much more modest $100k.

I can't imagine why more ADWs haven't signed up for that. :lol:

pandy
10-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Pennsylvania charges non-racetracks $500,000 for an initial ADW license. That's NOT a typo. Annual renewals a much more modest $100k.

I can't imagine why more ADWs haven't signed up for that. :lol:

With three thoroughbred tracks and three harness tracks, all with slots, you have to wonder why PA. makes such poor decisions regarding their racing product. The racing commission falls under the umbrella of the Agriculture commission. Perhaps that's the problem. The "commission" clearly doesn't seem to understand the racing business.