PDA

View Full Version : Malware protection

Tom
02-07-2016, 07:03 PM
What is a good one?
I was very happy with Malewarebytes FREE for years, but the paid for version is crap. I am taking it off my computer after two weeks of the free trial.

All it does is take up all the resources and run mbamservices all the time.

Getting maleware is better than this slug of a program.

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 06:09 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116883&highlight=malware

mabred
02-08-2016, 08:46 AM
took malbytes off mine in fact it gave me bad info

and screwed up my computer. I had to reinstall win xp . Now

I don't use any if it happens again i will just clone my drive again .

I have a large drive petitioned with 2 copies of xp.I copy everything from

one to the other partition so its an easy fix..

Mabred:cool:

ebcorde
02-08-2016, 09:28 AM
What is a good one?
I was very happy with Malewarebytes FREE for years, but the paid for version is crap. I am taking it off my computer after two weeks of the free trial.

All it does is take up all the resources and run mbamservices all the time.

Getting maleware is better than this slug of a program.

it's a mess. I have no idea. The IP provider should be providing free malware. I use Comcast , they have Norton one can download and use.

I still got hacked so I use two PC's , Network connected via internet.
The Linux box I set-up recently , I use for most online and downloads, contains no personal information.

The other PC I do my banking, credit card transactions, purchases. That way I think I can obtain even more security.

These Laptops and other devices are so cheap so why not.

McAfee has some stuff , free of charge.

Flysofree
02-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Norton is trash as far as I'm concerned.... I use the paid for Malwarebytes and like it. It doesn't like a couple of websites that Norton thought were ok and send a warning . Maybe that's why Norton didn't protect me. I don't believe that I ever SAW a WARNING..but it didn't stop problems.

howardjim
02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes free editions have been effective for me the last 5+ years.

I've got several "blue screens" after visiting naughty sites but a simple restart of Windows was the only requirement.

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2016, 01:31 PM
I've never had any problem with Microsoft's built in virus cops...Security Essentials and now Defender...I know they tend to get a bad rap, but they've worked for me.

I also use Malwarebytes (it's still free for me...using version 2.2.0.1024) and I use HitmanPRO which I think is EXCELLENT and well worth the yearly subscription price...

Tom
02-09-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm going to go back to the free version of MB.
It worked well for years. I must have missed a hidden check box when I upgraded.

I'll try Hitman, too.:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
02-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Security Essentials and now Defender...I know they tend to get a bad rap, but they've worked for me.

Indeed they do. Even from Microsoft.
http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

Tom,

I use Kaspersky for AV and run Spybot Search and Destroy (free download) when I think I need it.

The Kaspersky I get in a 3-machine deal for $35 a year.

hyipro
02-09-2016, 07:44 PM
this one is really the best updates several times a day, as I have a lot of sensitive data on my machine, I needed to find the best here it is:

http://www.eset.com

;

whodoyoulike
02-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Because of recent events this is a timely thread at least for me. I use CCLEANER which was suggested by DJofSD about a year ago.

Here are several internet reviews:

ccleaner ---

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Kapersky ---

http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Virus-Removal-Tool-2015/3000-2239_4-76079830.html

HitmanPro ---

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413295,00.asp

Anyone else have links?

Thanks Tom and DJofSD.

ThinkingAlways
02-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Here's my favorite process for determining if I have malware on a computer. This doesn't protect the computer from getting malware, nor does it remove it, but it helps ID if there is an issue. It is fast. It is free. It checks all running processes against about 55 vendors malware scans at Virus Total. Note that this only works for Windows.

Download Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653). Unpack it and move the executable to the desktop. Right click and run the application as an administrator. The first time through you need to agree to a couple of things and then it launches -- this can take 10 to 15 seconds. Under Options, select Virus Total.com and check the box Check Virus Total.com. You'll see a new column on the right and the "hashes submitted." In about 15 seconds, you'll get your response. Each running process will be evaluated by 50 to 57 different scan engines. If a process comes back clean, they'll be indicated by "0/55" Even if a process comes back with a low number (say 3/55) they are probably OK -- ie, false positives. If you get a higher number -- anything higher than 6 or 7, you probably have a problem requiring attention.

green80
02-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Hitman pro, it finds malware most other don't. You can download it for a free trial.

headhawg
02-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I've never had any problem with Microsoft's built in virus cops...Security Essentials and now Defender...I know they tend to get a bad rap, but they've worked for me.I suggest that you look at the AV-Comparatives 2015 summary report. The MS stuff is always ranked near or at the bottom when it comes to detection. So, in theory, you can have a virus on your computer and Defender won't detect it.

Kaspersky and Bitdefender are consistently rated the highest in detection year after year. I have used both but prefer Bitdefender as it seems to take up less resources on my machines. I don't particularly care for their firewall module but other than that I would recommend.

CCleaner is great, but not an anti-malware program.

And, as an FYI, there's a difference in detection algorithms between an antivirus program (Bitdefender) and an anti-malware program like Malwarebytes. Your AV program is always "on" whereas Malwarebytes is an on-demand scanner, although it has real-time website blocking.

Dave Schwartz
02-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Here's my favorite process for determining if I have malware on a computer. This doesn't protect the computer from getting malware, nor does it remove it, but it helps ID if there is an issue. It is fast. It is free. It checks all running processes against about 55 vendors malware scans at Virus Total. Note that this only works for Windows.

That looks very interesting. I will try it.

Thanks, Always Thinking.

Back at you with another useful one - not virus/malware related but very handy. Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)

MJC922
02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Malwarebytes Pro is excellent, for those who don't have the paid version the free version is sometimes a lifesaver too if you actually do get infected with some malware. As far as cleaning up an infection I don't think there's a difference between the free version and the paid version, however the big difference is the paid version has realtime protection which presumably prevents what it CAN clean from infecting you in the first place.

There were times when different AV programs and Malwarebytes conflicted and some settings were provided on their site to keep everything running smoothly side-by-side. I've not had any issues like that for a long time. I've run it in tandem with AVG.

You will most certainly have a machine which runs smoother I suppose with the free version because it's not real-time protection, the same with AV software if you disable realtime and just scan every so often it'll be faster but more vulnerable.

Keep in mind too though (as I know XP was mentioned) as time goes on these programs get developed and QA'd on faster machines and XP is at the bottom of the list for test 'coverage' now.

If MS doesn't even support XP anymore these software QA teams aren't going to spend much (if any) time seeing if it for some reason no longer 'performs'. We're talking about five operating systems ago now. :)

gregrph
02-12-2016, 10:56 PM
A great place to get help is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ You have to sign up (free) and be validated via e-mail (quick). a 2 step process. Read through the sticky notes on the forums and craft an assitance for help. Don't download or run any programs without them telling you first. Follow directions explicitly. Nothing more, nothing less. They helped hundreds/thousands of people but are very good! Read some of the threads to see how they work but don't try anything on your own unless you know what you are doing. They really do help!

upthecreek
02-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Ive used the Norton 360 for about 7 years since it was included with my internet subscription(Comcast) Now recently they have included Constant Guard Malware protection and Bot detection and removal I guess? its as good as any No problems so far

upthecreek
02-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Ive used the Norton 360 for about 7 years since it was included with my internet subscription(Comcast) Now recently they have included Constant Guard Malware protection and Bot detection and removal I guess? its as good as any No problems so far

NorCalGreg
02-13-2016, 08:48 AM

So that's 14 yrs altogether? I'm confused..........

upthecreek
02-13-2016, 09:05 AM
So that's 14 yrs altogether? I'm confused..........
So am I Lol It was stuck while posting,guess it posted 2x

Tom
02-14-2016, 08:39 AM
I got rid of the paid trial of Maleware bytes, and now the damn program pops up every hour trying to update. I can't tell it not to, and even if I stop the process, it comes back.

Maleware bytes is nothing BUT maleware. It is gone.

whodoyoulike
02-14-2016, 05:06 PM
I got rid of the paid trial of Maleware bytes, and now the damn program pops up every hour trying to update. I can't tell it not to, and even if I stop the process, it comes back.

Maleware bytes is nothing BUT maleware. It is gone.

I know it's frustrating but, just admit it (now it's sort of amusing), your computer doesn't like you probably because you've thrown it against your wall and floor so many times.

Tom
02-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Computers, dogs, and a walnut tree,
The more you beat them,
The better they be. :rolleyes:

whodoyoulike
02-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Computers, dogs, and a walnut tree,
The more you beat them,
The better they be. :rolleyes:

That's where you may be in the wrong, you should've treated your computer like a woman. You handle them nicely and they will return in kind.

Btw, I may not be the best reference based on my past experiences.