PDA

View Full Version : The Age of the Nerds

Capper Al
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM
History has been categorized in ages such as the Iron age or now the Information age. As weapons evolved the new age appeared upon us. This applies just as well to handicapping. Today we live in the information age. We can generate our own info or buy info or use software generating info from third party vendors. But the nerds that generate this new source of info, don't necessary have the advantage. It's like the master sword maker wasn't necessarily the best sword fighter. This new info has to be managed to fit the battle of today's race. Handicapping now has become more of who can interpret and use this new source of data the best. It's a battle between generals with data being our troops.

Pick 'em Charlie
11-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Danny Holmes' book 'Ten Steps to Winning' is a good place to start exploring matching data to race type. For instance, Holmes uses class and beaten lengths for maidens, and class and pace for routes. One can't only go on pace or speed alone without understanding when and why.

thaskalos
11-28-2015, 02:05 PM
We can buy the best tools available...but getting the job done right is an entirely different matter. What really counts is the skill of the craftsman.

I saw Efren Reyes win a World 9-Ball Championship while using a $6 pool cue.

LottaKash
11-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Andreas Feinenger, one of the Worlds best Street-Photographers of the Twentieth Century, created as an experiment of sorts mskinh many of his most interesting photo's using just a Brownie-Box Camera....

I am paraphrasing here, but he once said "If you can't take a decent photo with a Kiddie Box Camera, then, you are probably not meant for better equipment just yet"..."The camera is just a tool"...

Capper Al
11-29-2015, 07:34 AM
We can buy the best tools available...but getting the job done right is an entirely different matter. What really counts is the skill of the craftsman.

I saw Efren Reyes win a World 9-Ball Championship while using a $6 pool cue.

In the end, it's the skill of the warrior. New technologies lose their advantage over time as others copy them.

Capper Al
11-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Andreas Feinenger, one of the Worlds best Street-Photographers of the Twentieth Century, created as an experiment of sorts mskinh many of his most interesting photo's using just a Brownie-Box Camera....

I am paraphrasing here, but he once said "If you can't take a decent photo with a Kiddie Box Camera, then, you are probably not meant for better equipment just yet"..."The camera is just a tool"...

I think this is the problem that the software vendors have to deal with. The consumer is expecting click and win without any effort on their part.

Capper Al
11-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Danny Holmes' book 'Ten Steps to Winning' is a good place to start exploring matching data to race type. For instance, Holmes uses class and beaten lengths for maidens, and class and pace for routes. One can't only go on pace or speed alone without understanding when and why.

The difficult race scenarios for me to figure are optional claiming and optional allowance races. They usually don't fit their types such as claiming sprint.