PDA

View Full Version : Excel help -- Import column limitations

Capper Al
03-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Has anyone dealt with import column limitations in either Excel 2007 or 2013? I dump a CSV file from a C++ program and then import it into Excel. I started noting data corruption after about column TU.

Thanks

HUSKER55
03-27-2015, 09:30 AM
wish I could help. but, I had an instructor a few years back that said when you attempt to move large amounts of data the more the column size and format had to match.

When you put in data and use the excel import wizard you can adjust the columns so they are readable, but they don't necessarily have to match the width of the project. For example, you need 10 spaces and the wizard puts in 12.24. After a while there will be confusion.

yeah I know....I never got the drift of it either.

Send Ray and email.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Capper Al
03-27-2015, 09:55 AM
wish I could help. but, I had an instructor a few years back that said when you attempt to move large amounts of data the more the column size and format had to match.

When you put in data and use the excel import wizard you can adjust the columns so they are readable, but they don't necessarily have to match the width of the project. For example, you need 10 spaces and the wizard puts in 12.24. After a while there will be confusion.

yeah I know....I never got the drift of it either.

Send Ray and email.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Think I will.Thanks

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Just a guess... but are you exporting/importing a columns that contain commas? (i.e. comments)

headhawg
03-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Corruption is vague, but I'm with Dave here -- something about the source data is probably bad.

Capper Al
03-27-2015, 03:28 PM
I checked it before and after I sent it. It was okay in the program until I looked at them in the spreadsheet. I even just passed an integer- 6. It came out 1. It bothers me but the fields aren't important. Still, I won't rest on it.

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Did you bring the SAME data into "the program" as "the spreadsheet?"

or

Did you import the data into "the program," and then export it to the spreadsheet?

Just trying to (logically) search for the most likely cause of the error.

whodoyoulike
03-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Has anyone dealt with import column limitations in either Excel 2007 or 2013? I dump a CSV file from a C++ program and then import it into Excel. I started noting data corruption after about column TU.

Thanksk if there is

Curious, how many columns is TU?

Check if there is a # of column limitation in Excel for your versions.

Capper Al
03-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Looking at GP Feb 21 bug again. This one has me. I save the value into a before output field, I output it, and then save it into after field. The field is expected to be 6. I get 6,1,6 respectively. And if this isn't enough I pass a literal int 6 at the end of the output stream. All the rows except the two having the problem display the 6 in the last column.

BTW, this is happening on both Excel 2007 and 2013.

Best guess if the field isn't being outputted. It problem is occurring around the 566 column on rows 13 and 14.

Yesterday's card at GP worked fine.

vegasone
03-29-2015, 09:54 AM
If it is past performance data, sometimes they will throw in an extra "something" in one of the fields, such as a comma or quote character (") which can throw you off. Doesn't happen often and will drive you crazy till you hunt it down and adjust for this.

PaceMasterT
03-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Looking at GP Feb 21 bug again. This one has me. I save the value into a before output field, I output it, and then save it into after field. The field is expected to be 6. I get 6,1,6 respectively. And if this isn't enough I pass a literal int 6 at the end of the output stream. All the rows except the two having the problem display the 6 in the last column.

BTW, this is happening on both Excel 2007 and 2013.

Best guess if the field isn't being outputted. It problem is occurring around the 566 column on rows 13 and 14.

Yesterday's card at GP worked fine.

For the line(s) that you are having a problem with, check to see if the horse raced in a race with a comma in it. Such as the Kenny Noe, Jr. Handicap.

PaceMasterT
03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't have the GP Feb. 21st data file, but a cursory glance at that day's results charts, I'm guessing that row 14 is the 1 Dixie One in the second race. Dixie One was previously trained by Robert Falcone, Jr., so if that column is included in your data, there may be that , there messing up the delimiting process.

Dave Schwartz
03-29-2015, 03:08 PM
PaceMaster is saying what I was saying.

That will corrupt your data if you do not put quotes around those fields.

Capper Al
03-30-2015, 07:56 AM
I live to code another day. The bug was found. It wasn't the field that displayed the error. This caused me to go crazy, or crazier for those who already think I'm crazy. I should of mentioned that my importing module wasn't were the problem was. This has been working fine for years. It was my program's data being outputted into a csv file for input into an Excel spreadsheet. About two dozen columns upstream from where the error was visible, and only under very limited circumstances, a comma was skipped between fields. I want to thank everyone who posted for their support. Sometimes a programmer just needs to talk. I worked on this bug for over 10 days. It was a tough one and very maddening.

Thanks