PDA

View Full Version : importing brisnet supertote into excel 2013

dalypen
03-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Really need help with this, last year i was able to import the toteboard data from brisnet with the get data from webpage with no problem using excel 2010. Last week i wanted to try it out but could not get the connection made. I logged in selected the import arrow even tried it on a new sheet.Still Not working.I did hear a few months back that brisnet change how they let users import there data (Is this True ?). I would love for someone to help me with this.fyi I did many searches in here and only found old post from the way I did it last year.Is excel 2013 the problem? or is it my dumb old ass. Thanks :bang:

sjk
03-08-2015, 01:08 PM
I put Office 2000 on all my new computers (I have 4 running now).

raybo
03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I used 2000 for some years but switched to 2002 (Office XP), and also have 2010 on my machine. I prefer 2002 unless there is something that cannot be done in earlier versions due to the tighter limitations, but that is rare.

DJofSD
03-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Really need help with this, last year i was able to import the toteboard data from brisnet with the get data from webpage with no problem using excel 2010. Last week i wanted to try it out but could not get the connection made. I logged in selected the import arrow even tried it on a new sheet.Still Not working.I did hear a few months back that brisnet change how they let users import there data (Is this True ?). I would love for someone to help me with this.fyi I did many searches in here and only found old post from the way I did it last year.Is excel 2013 the problem? or is it my dumb old ass. Thanks :bang:
I have never used Supertote, however, you've peeked my curiosity.

I went the the BRISNET page and clicked on Supertote, selected Sam Houston then entered into Supertote. It appears to be showing information.

When I use the browser tool, show source, I get a minimal amount of HTML code or data and certainly not any HTML lists or tables.

I conclude they did change the way they present data which prevents you from scraping the page content.

If I'm wrong, I would like to know how this kind of page rendering can be retrieved and loaded -- it would be a learning experience for me.

Nitro
03-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I put Office 2000 on all my new computers (I have 4 running now).

I used 2000 for some years but switched to 2002 (Office XP), and also have 2010 on my machine. I prefer 2002 unless there is something that cannot be done in earlier versions due to the tighter limitations, but that is rare.
Are you guys saying that earlier versions of MS Excel (like 2000) will provide automatic data import of the SuperTote page?

sjk
03-10-2015, 02:51 AM
You can certainly open the html files with Excel 2000 and probably newer versions too.

I am suggesting that if the OP is uncertain whether the Excel upgrade or something at Brisnet has caused things to be different he should get to a box running the old Excel to test. My version is very old but I have seen nothing different in the Supertote.

raybo
03-10-2015, 03:02 AM
While I haven't tried to "Import External Data" Supertote recently, I know that a few years back Brisnet was shutting down frequent pingers of Supertote. I am fairly sure that one could, at least initially, import the tote, but whether or not you would be allowed to continuously ping the server I have serious doubts.

There are other online totes that are probably much more accommodating. This one will work for sure, or was working a short time ago:

https://classic.ebetusa.com/

BreadandButter
03-12-2015, 05:53 PM

I tried this and was able to get it to import into Excel 2013. In Excel under the Data table choose "From Web" - enter the web address of the tables from Supertote you want (I had to modify them slightly from the HTML source) - Select Go - Click the Import Button - in properties you can select the refresh rate.

However, each time the table refreshes for whatever reason it's hiding the columns and each time I need to manually go unhide them? The table is there, it's updating, but it's just hiding the columns on each update?

BreadandButter
03-12-2015, 07:28 PM
However, each time the table refreshes for whatever reason it's hiding the columns and each time I need to manually go unhide them? The table is there, it's updating, but it's just hiding the columns on each update?

I got it - to stop hiding the columns - just uncheck "Adjust column width" in the properties.