PDA

View Full Version : Satellite internet problems

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Oddly enough I have Googled and never matched the problem I am having. My problem is certain websites are problematic, others work great. Unfortunately a website I use to find work (I am a small machine shop owner) is the worst of the bunch to use for me. It is laid out exactly like this one in the same format. 90% of the time I cannot even access the home page, I usually get "Connection to server has been reset" when I finally get is then that error will happen when I try to open a thread, if I get lucky enough to get a thread open I almost never will be able to open attached PDF's (blueprints).

I had a tech out who tried everything he could think of after originally not believing my problem, he even went as far as using different IP addresses and nothing worked. I am also out of wireless range (you need a 3 signal strength I am a 1-2 max no matter what carrier), the only hard wired internet here is way overburdened dial up that takes 3 minutes to open one page of text. Anybody have any ideas on what to try?

Augenj
02-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Assuming you have cell phone coverage, you could sign up for mobile broadband with providers such as Verizon, etc. You would have to purchase a card for your computer and pay for the data usage. It's something I've done in the past when I'm on the road and out of wireless range.

GameTheory
02-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Oddly enough I have Googled and never matched the problem I am having. My problem is certain websites are problematic, others work great. Unfortunately a website I use to find work (I am a small machine shop owner) is the worst of the bunch to use for me. It is laid out exactly like this one in the same format. 90% of the time I cannot even access the home page, I usually get "Connection to server has been reset" when I finally get is then that error will happen when I try to open a thread, if I get lucky enough to get a thread open I almost never will be able to open attached PDF's (blueprints).

I had a tech out who tried everything he could think of after originally not believing my problem, he even went as far as using different IP addresses and nothing worked. I am also out of wireless range (you need a 3 signal strength I am a 1-2 max no matter what carrier), the only hard wired internet here is way overburdened dial up that takes 3 minutes to open one page of text. Anybody have any ideas on what to try?

If it isn't connecting at all, I'd look to DNS issues (clear out the system cache, try different browsers). But otherwise if it connects but then just often fails, my guess is that it is simply a problem that only occurs with satellite -- it may not be able to keep the connection all the time, or some protocol is not keeping the connection alive or who knows what (too much packet fragmentation, I don't know). It is probably the fault of the remote server not be configured properly (but it works for most people so no one knows) and so there isn't much you can do about it.

My suggestion would be to try a proxy server (or maybe a VPN service) and then route your traffic through that and hopefully any quirks of the satellite connection will be "absorbed" by the proxy in the middle. You could also try using Tor, which will be slow for everything (it is for everybody), but not THAT slow, and it usually works. For a private proxy or VPN, there will be some additional cost ($5 - $20 a month depending), but you can try Tor right now -- just download the Tor browser setup and give it a whirl. If you want to try out a private proxy, PM me and you can borrow one of mine for some tests, see if it helps the problem.

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Assuming you have cell phone coverage, you could sign up for mobile broadband with providers such as Verizon, etc. You would have to purchase a card for your computer and pay for the data usage. It's something I've done in the past when I'm on the road and out of wireless range.

No mobile broadband here either, I am about 1/4 mile away from an acceptable signal. Cell phone coverage here isn't very good wither I drop a lot of calls.

Augenj
02-06-2015, 11:49 AM
No mobile broadband here either, I am about 1/4 mile away from an acceptable signal. Cell phone coverage here isn't very good wither I drop a lot of calls.
You didn't mention your Internet provider's name but have you checked with other satellite Internet providers? Or maybe you have no choice but to move. (joking) :)

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 12:38 PM
You didn't mention your Internet provider's name but have you checked with other satellite Internet providers? Or maybe you have no choice but to move. (joking) :)

Wild Blue, I think all satellite internet is unreliable. It supposedly stems from the signal latency, I don't understand why some websites work fine while others don't.

Augenj
02-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Wild Blue, I think all satellite internet is unreliable. It supposedly stems from the signal latency, I don't understand why some websites work fine while others don't.
Have you tried bypassing DNS and going directly to the website? Find the IP in this link, copy and paste it to your address bar, and hit enter. Some websites don't work this way, however.
Get Site IP (http://get-site-ip.com/)

wilderness
02-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Wild Blue via DISH?

I administer a website and a network for a friend that uses Hughes/Direct.
I live just three miles from them an get DSL, however they cannot.

All the Satellite Services use metered service based upon daily and monthly bandwidth, and regardless of how much and/or what plan you purchase.
Once you reach your limit for the day or month, than your connection speed is reduced drastically to less than a dial-up speed.

There's not any solution.

In some areas your still able to purchase ADSL which offers a 128 or 256KB, which is pitiful by today's Broadband standards, however faster than your metered Satellite sped. You'll need to contact your local phone company.

Prior to returning to this rural area last spring, I considered 4G or similar and it was just too damned expensive while including similar limitations of Satellite.

JustRalph
02-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Sat Internet relies heavily on "caching" websites. This means that the most popular are cached on a server on a regular basis, when you call up a website that is cached it's almost automatic. The problem is that is a snapshot taken earlier. For a majority of popular websites it works pretty well.

A Vbulletin site like this one is constantly changing and you cannot cache it.

I suspect your preferred site is that way too.

Google clearing your 'DNS Cache" in case it's a local issue. It's different based on what version of windows you have (but not much)

wilderness
02-06-2015, 02:44 PM
BTW, I've used my friend's internet while doing some work, and while the speed was metered.
The provider Hughes was absolutely no help in diagnosing the problem. In fact they even played footsies while discussing the metered speed issue.
The slow speed was intolerable and some sites that I use regularly would not connect. Even my friend's own website (very small and bare bones) loaded slowly on their metered connection.

My friend's own a B&B and are not internet/computer savvy. A guest came in and watched videos destroying their speed for the month. The guest lied and told them they were attempting to resolve some banking issues. I looked at the logs and they downloads were in the hundred of gigs while that guest was staying. Once the guest left, the logs resumed normalcy.

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Have you tried bypassing DNS and going directly to the website? Find the IP in this link, copy and paste it to your address bar, and hit enter. Some websites don't work this way, however.
Get Site IP (http://get-site-ip.com/)

Thanks for the idea, but it produced the same "The connection was reset" message.

wilderness
02-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Are the PDF's that your attempting to download blueprints, generally very large in file size?

I would suggest turning off JAVA and images in your browser and than seeing if your able to download the blueprints using the link.
You may not be able to do so with images disabled, however for most general browsing it will increase your viewing speed dramatically. (there are browser plug-ins that make changing these settings easy).

Browsing with images and java off will take some getting used to, however after the learning curve, you grown accustomed to the procedure and be able to recognize the procedure to get your PDF/blueprints.

GameTheory
02-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Are the PDF's that your attempting to download blueprints, generally very large in file size?

I would suggest turning off JAVA and images in your browser and than seeing if your able to download the blueprints using the link.
You may not be able to do so with images disabled, however for most general browsing it will increase your viewing speed dramatically. (there are browser plug-ins that make changing these settings easy).

Browsing with images and java off will take some getting used to, however after the learning curve, you grown accustomed to the procedure and be able to recognize the procedure to get your PDF/blueprints.
You probably mean javascript since java is rarely used in normal browsing. (Java and javascript are unrelated.) Unfortunately for that idea, the web is so javascript dependent now that simply turning it off is pretty much turning off half the internet -- it will break most sites these days...

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 03:31 PM

The blueprints are usually small PDF files, but usually I don't even get that far. Sometimes I can't even get to the stage of trying to download the blueprint by trying dozens of times at different times of the day.

wilderness
02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
You probably mean javascript since java is rarely used in normal browsing. (Java and javascript are unrelated.) Unfortunately for that idea, the web is so javascript dependent now that simply turning it off is pretty much turning off half the internet -- it will break most sites these days...

GT,
I've been browsing most sites (including this one) with Javascript disabled for more than a decade.
You are correct in that some sites will not function with Javascript disabled, however it's nothing near the most category. When I hit one of these sites, I've two choices; 1) determine if the content is worth the risk of vulnerability; 2) Simply turn Javascript back on.

The blueprints are usually small PDF files, but usually I don't even get that far. Sometimes I can't even get to the stage of trying to download the blueprint by trying dozens of times at different times of the day.

When your Satellite bandwidth is metered/throttled after reaching limits, the provider lifts the throttling in non-peak hours, which will not likely suit your 'day times'. Generally after 9 or 11 PM at night.
You may be able to locate an auto-download software to retrieve these files when your at home. It does take some planning, and the files are not generally available when you need them immediately, however it is workable.

I'm not sure how many employee's are in your shop, however if you inquire and compensate them lightly, you'll find one (sort of geek) that would be able to download the file and relay to you via a transport medium.

Inner Dirt
02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
When your Satellite bandwidth is metered/throttled after reaching limits, the provider lifts the throttling in non-peak hours, which will not likely suit your 'day times'. Generally after 9 or 11 PM at night.
You may be able to locate an auto-download software to retrieve these files when your at home. It does take some planning, and the files are not generally available when you need them immediately, however it is workable.

I'm not sure how many employee's are in your shop, however if you inquire and compensate them lightly, you'll find one (sort of geek) that would be able to download the file and relay to you via a transport medium.

I rarely go over the limit and get slowed down, midnight-5am use doesn't count against your limit so that is when I will watch videos if ever. The speed usually isn't an issue. Speed isn't an issue, just tested latency 680ms, download 12.25mbs, upload 3.58mbs. Just tried to access that website and and it just stayed on my home page after it timed out like I did nothing.

JustRalph
02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
just a tip

back when I had Sat internet, lots of changes didn't take effect without renewing the IP address.

or rebooting. Make sure you are doing that between changes

wilderness
02-06-2015, 04:30 PM
I rarely go over the limit and get slowed down, midnight-5am use doesn't count against your limit so that is when I will watch videos if ever. The speed usually isn't an issue. Speed isn't an issue, just tested latency 680ms, download 12.25mbs, upload 3.58mbs. Just tried to access that website and and it just stayed on my home page after it timed out like I did nothing.

Inner,
Is it possible this particular website has some access restriction in place against your provider company (satellite)?
On my own websites I've access restrictions against cache footprints that many providers use. Additionally, I had an outright denial of access to Wild Blue (and still do for some regions) customers.

Have you tried that website on another machine and using another provider to see what the loading speed is?

GameTheory
02-06-2015, 07:13 PM
GT,
I've been browsing most sites (including this one) with Javascript disabled for more than a decade.
You are correct in that some sites will not function with Javascript disabled, however it's nothing near the most category. When I hit one of these sites, I've two choices; 1) determine if the content is worth the risk of vulnerability; 2) Simply turn Javascript back on.Well, it depends on the sites you visit of course, but the trend is only going one way. There is not much reason to disable it (except maybe for a few particular sites). Images will save you bandwidth, disabling javascript won't. You're probably missing more than you realize, many sites the navigation links won't work (fully) without it...

wilderness
02-06-2015, 07:59 PM
You're probably missing more than you realize, many sites the navigation links won't work (fully) without it...

I'm certainly missing the ability to contract the nasty java virus that I did in 2003, which infected the FAT of my drive.