PDA

View Full Version : TVG High Definition

Mad Scientist
05-10-2014, 12:39 PM
TVG switched over to high def a few months ago, and I know a lot of tracks don't have high def cameras so you can't really expect to notice any difference when viewing races from those tracks, but even when they show races from the bigger tracks like Santa Anita and Belmont that do have high def cameras I still don't notice any difference, although when NBC shows the big races like the derby you can easily notice it being in high def.

I was just wondering if other people are having the same experience, or does it have something to do with Dish network just not showing TVG in high def .... because I know on Dish usually the high def channels will have a HD symbol , but TVG does hot have it ....

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Either you're not watching the HD TVG channel on Dish, or they don't carry TVG in HD.

JustRalph
05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Either you're not watching the HD TVG channel on Dish, or they don't carry TVG in HD.

Dish not showing it in hi def.......at least not here in Texas

I guess if you were on the east coast or way up north, you might be using a different satellite. But not here......

Mad Scientist
05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I guess that explains everything. Dish is just not showing it in high def.

JimmyQ
05-10-2014, 01:27 PM
If you have Directv and channel 693 which is Prime Ticket in HD they show any where from 1-6 hours a day Thurs-Sun of TVG and when it is in HD it's incredible. I look forward to the day they carry this channel in HD. Makes a world of a difference

JimmyQ

losinghorseplayer
05-10-2014, 02:09 PM
If you are a NYRA Rewards member, you can stream the HD NYRA feed on Roku. The streaming service is still beta testing, and when I watched it last weekend it paused frequently. I eventually turned it off in frustration. The picture quality was very good when it worked. It wasn't as good as what you see on NBC, but it was better than the old non-HD signal.

It will be a great service if they ever fix all the bugs.

Stillriledup
05-10-2014, 03:22 PM
TVG switched over to high def a few months ago, and I know a lot of tracks don't have high def cameras so you can't really expect to notice any difference when viewing races from those tracks, but even when they show races from the bigger tracks like Santa Anita and Belmont that do have high def cameras I still don't notice any difference, although when NBC shows the big races like the derby you can easily notice it being in high def.

I was just wondering if other people are having the same experience, or does it have something to do with Dish network just not showing TVG in high def .... because I know on Dish usually the high def channels will have a HD symbol , but TVG does hot have it ....

I have Directv and ch 602 TVG is not a HD channel, but you can find a fox sports affiliate that shows "Trackside live" for a few hours each day, and those races are in HD.

tanner12oz
05-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Nothing has changed on dish same signal as always...this has been the most anticlimactic change in racing

BettinBilly
05-10-2014, 03:59 PM
I have Directv and ch 602 TVG is not a HD channel, but you can find a fox sports affiliate that shows "Trackside live" for a few hours each day, and those races are in HD.

Yessir. AT&T's U-Verse does not carry TVG, but I catch "Trackside Live" on Fox Sports a few hours a day here and there. Luckily, U-Verse HRTV, so all is not lost. I do wish that HRTV was in HD. Eventually, everything will be.

Tom
05-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Whaever TVG is doing on DIsh, the picture is teribble. Everything is crucnhed towards the middle - people look like the Coneheads.

They have been able to lower thier vidieo uality down to the level ofthier pathetic audio quality (the hosts!)

Mad Scientist
05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't know why dish won't broadcast TVG in hi def. They have a ton of hi def channels that I am sure get less viewers than TVG.

HRTV is not so bad. Peter Lurie in my opinion gives out more winners than any other host on either tvg or hrtv. You just got to get past his cheezy DJ type voice.

Redboard
05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Whaever TVG is doing on DIsh, the picture is teribble. Everything is crucnhed towards the middle - people look like the Coneheads.

They have been able to lower thier vidieo uality down to the level ofthier pathetic audio quality (the hosts!)

Tom,
I have the same situation with my cable co. who, last week, now delivers TVG as a widescreen picture, squashed into a fullscreen dimension. I had to press the “wide” button on my TV remote, which expanded the picture to fill the entire screen, so everything looks normal. It still isn’t Hi Def(I still can’t read the horses number when he crosses the finish line) but at least it’s widescreen and is some improvement.
The buttons on your DISH remote won’t help, you’ll need to find the “wide” button (or sometimes it’s “zoom”, “display”, etc.) on your TV remote. (this is, of course, you have a Hi Def TV)

JustRalph
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't know why dish won't broadcast TVG in hi def. They have a ton of hi def channels that I am sure get less viewers than TVG.

HRTV is not so bad. Peter Lurie in my opinion gives out more winners than any other host on either tvg or hrtv. You just got to get past his cheezy DJ type voice.

No way. I have an app on the hopper that shows programs by popularity and infomercials beat TVG on Saturday afternoons. Same on Sunday.

Mad Scientist
05-12-2014, 08:32 PM
I am surprised so few people watch TVG

BettinBilly
05-13-2014, 12:43 AM
From what I've read here on PA, I suppose I'm not missing much by not having TVG.

Read the threads, Mad Sci. You'll see that many are not happy with TVG's programming.

Mad Scientist
05-13-2014, 07:29 AM
My problem with TVG is not so much the format of their shows, but it is some of their on air personalities that just make it unwatchable at times.

KingChas
05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
From what I've read here on PA, I suppose I'm not missing much by not having TVG.

Have things gotten better or worse?

A TVG blast from the past;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/12/AR2006091201456.html

Forego
05-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks for sharing the link to the 2006 piece. As usual, Mr. Beyer was/is spot on.

The Tony Allevato quotes in the piece are truly laugh out loud funny, and wholly indicative of how far over his head - how uniquely and utterly unqualified - he was.

There are a lot of dedicated, talented people at TVG, on both sides of the camera. It's sad to think where TVG could be in 2014 if only they hadn't been burdened with having someone as clueless as Tony Allevato in charge for so long.

BettinBilly
05-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Have things gotten better or worse?

A TVG blast from the past;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/12/AR2006091201456.html

Interesting article. I'd like to hear Mr. Beyer's take on HRTV in comparison.

I've been very happy with HRTV - but as stated before, I sure wish it was in HD.

JustRalph
05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Interesting article. I'd like to hear Mr. Beyer's take on HRTV in comparison.

I've been very happy with HRTV - but as stated before, I sure wish it was in HD.

Unless he finds a time machine and can teleport back to 2006, it might be an unfair comparison.

After not having TVG for years, and recently getting them back via DISH, I can honestly say, I don't see much difference at all.

BettinBilly
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
I've been catching "Trackside Live" in HD on TVG as it's carried by Fox Sports on U-Verse a few hours on select days. I see what some guys mean by the commentators. However, they can be entertaining if that's not a bother to you. Compared to some HRTV coverage of the same races, the TVG guys are, shall we say, "very colorful". And, the HD coverage is nice, IMO.

Their picks, however, have been abysmal. I'd have better luck rolling dice for my pics.

Stillriledup
07-25-2014, 04:14 AM
I've noticed that there's something different about the TVG signal that is shown in HD on the fox sports channels. There has been a 'blacking out' (for lack of a better term) of the picture at certain intervals recently, but now, the blacking out seems to be gone, but the picture doesn't seem as "smooth" as it had been in the previous days. When the horses go under the wire, they "vibrate" and shake, its not 'smooth' like it used to be.

Hopefully they can get back to the better brand of HD that they've been showing, what i'm seeing now isn't as sharp.

redshift1
07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
No problems with the TVG HD signal in Southern California through Cox Cable. What's odd is the SD signal is almost as good in fact it's probably the highest image quality of any SD signal I receive. HRTV needs to upgrade to HD their signal is so bad that it's hard to see, it looks like a low resolution computer video.

DelMarJay
07-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Honey: "why does TVG look different these last few days.?"

Me: I got no idea, but their noses look scrunched and their voices are just slightly missing the sync." Always been a real good picture to recently, very recently.

seattlemorn
07-27-2014, 01:15 AM
I have same issue on Directv it almost looks like it is one step away from normal speed. Not full slow motion, but something off about it. I would email TVG but doesn't seem worth the likely run around. It is horse racing after all, if they get half the stuff right they are winning.