Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Mad Scientist
Delusional, compulsive liar and all around giant sack of shit

TVG High Definition

TVG switched over to high def a few months ago, and I know a lot of tracks don't have high def cameras so you can't really expect to notice any difference when viewing races from those tracks, but even when they show races from the bigger tracks like Santa Anita and Belmont that do have high def cameras I still don't notice any difference, although when NBC shows the big races like the derby you can easily notice it being in high def.

I was just wondering if other people are having the same experience, or does it have something to do with Dish network just not showing TVG in high def .... because I know on Dish usually the high def channels will have a HD symbol , but TVG does hot have it ....
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Either you're not watching the HD TVG channel on Dish, or they don't carry TVG in HD.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Either you're not watching the HD TVG channel on Dish, or they don't carry TVG in HD.

Dish not showing it in hi def.......at least not here in Texas

I guess if you were on the east coast or way up north, you might be using a different satellite. But not here......
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

I guess that explains everything. Dish is just not showing it in high def.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
JimmyQ

If you have Directv and channel 693 which is Prime Ticket in HD they show any where from 1-6 hours a day Thurs-Sun of TVG and when it is in HD it's incredible. I look forward to the day they carry this channel in HD. Makes a world of a difference

JimmyQ
JimmyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
losinghorseplayer

NYRA Hi Def

If you are a NYRA Rewards member, you can stream the HD NYRA feed on Roku. The streaming service is still beta testing, and when I watched it last weekend it paused frequently. I eventually turned it off in frustration. The picture quality was very good when it worked. It wasn't as good as what you see on NBC, but it was better than the old non-HD signal.

It will be a great service if they ever fix all the bugs.
losinghorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
TVG switched over to high def a few months ago, and I know a lot of tracks don't have high def cameras so you can't really expect to notice any difference when viewing races from those tracks, but even when they show races from the bigger tracks like Santa Anita and Belmont that do have high def cameras I still don't notice any difference, although when NBC shows the big races like the derby you can easily notice it being in high def.

I was just wondering if other people are having the same experience, or does it have something to do with Dish network just not showing TVG in high def .... because I know on Dish usually the high def channels will have a HD symbol , but TVG does hot have it ....
I have Directv and ch 602 TVG is not a HD channel, but you can find a fox sports affiliate that shows "Trackside live" for a few hours each day, and those races are in HD.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
tanner12oz

Nothing has changed on dish same signal as always...this has been the most anticlimactic change in racing
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I have Directv and ch 602 TVG is not a HD channel, but you can find a fox sports affiliate that shows "Trackside live" for a few hours each day, and those races are in HD.
Yessir. AT&T's U-Verse does not carry TVG, but I catch "Trackside Live" on Fox Sports a few hours a day here and there. Luckily, U-Verse HRTV, so all is not lost. I do wish that HRTV was in HD. Eventually, everything will be.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Whaever TVG is doing on DIsh, the picture is teribble. Everything is crucnhed towards the middle - people look like the Coneheads.

They have been able to lower thier vidieo uality down to the level ofthier pathetic audio quality (the hosts!)
Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Mad Scientist

I don't know why dish won't broadcast TVG in hi def. They have a ton of hi def channels that I am sure get less viewers than TVG.

HRTV is not so bad. Peter Lurie in my opinion gives out more winners than any other host on either tvg or hrtv. You just got to get past his cheezy DJ type voice.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Whaever TVG is doing on DIsh, the picture is teribble. Everything is crucnhed towards the middle - people look like the Coneheads.

They have been able to lower thier vidieo uality down to the level ofthier pathetic audio quality (the hosts!)
Tom,
I have the same situation with my cable co. who, last week, now delivers TVG as a widescreen picture, squashed into a fullscreen dimension. I had to press the “wide” button on my TV remote, which expanded the picture to fill the entire screen, so everything looks normal. It still isn’t Hi Def(I still can’t read the horses number when he crosses the finish line) but at least it’s widescreen and is some improvement.
The buttons on your DISH remote won’t help, you’ll need to find the “wide” button (or sometimes it’s “zoom”, “display”, etc.) on your TV remote. (this is, of course, you have a Hi Def TV)
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I don't know why dish won't broadcast TVG in hi def. They have a ton of hi def channels that I am sure get less viewers than TVG.

HRTV is not so bad. Peter Lurie in my opinion gives out more winners than any other host on either tvg or hrtv. You just got to get past his cheezy DJ type voice.
No way. I have an app on the hopper that shows programs by popularity and infomercials beat TVG on Saturday afternoons. Same on Sunday.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
Mad Scientist

I am surprised so few people watch TVG
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #15
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

From what I've read here on PA, I suppose I'm not missing much by not having TVG.

Read the threads, Mad Sci. You'll see that many are not happy with TVG's programming.