PDA

View Full Version : How to read the type of race???

MoneyMike111
02-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Im trying to figure out who to pick by using class alittle, but I cant figure out how to read it.

So stakes is the highest, followed by allowance, then claiming, then maiden right?

Ok so what does "Op40Nnw1$x 58k" mean? What about "25000nwL 25k"?

How about "Alwnw1$x 58k"???

Im kind of a newbie btw...

Clocker
02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Im trying to figure out who to pick by using class alittle, but I cant figure out how to read it.

So stakes is the highest, followed by allowance, then claiming, then maiden right?

Start here. (http://www.brisnet.com/library/rclass.pdf)

Robert Goren
02-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Im kind of a newbie btw...I have no idea what the "Op" stands for. These do not look like thoroughbred race conditions to me. Are they for Harness or quarter horse races?

MoneyMike111
02-14-2014, 10:08 AM
they are for throughobred off drf pp...

MoneyMike111
02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Start here. (http://www.brisnet.com/library/rclass.pdf)

thanks this helped alittle...anything for "SPEED RATING, VARIABLE" im alittle confused on that too.. thanks

Clocker
02-14-2014, 12:40 PM
thanks this helped alittle...anything for "SPEED RATING, VARIABLE" im alittle confused on that too.. thanks

To be honest, I think that you are more than a little confused. You should not be betting money until you understand these and many more concepts. Start with THIS (http://www1.drf.com/row/fan_ed/winning-techniques-2004.pdf), then you should read a good introductory book explaining racing, like "Handicapping 101" by Brad Free.

whodoyoulike
02-14-2014, 03:01 PM

This is correct (sorta). You need to keep in mind that certain alw and cl races attract stakes caliber horses and vice versa. Some alw and cl races are equivalent to mdn cl races. Horses running in mdn cl can be considered consistent runners until you make a wager on them.
Horses entered in alw races are not necessarily superior to cl running horses. To me, it means the owner and/or trainer doesn't want to risk losing the horse to a claim. Although, alw races sometimes do have larger purses.

Until you become comfortable with your selections, you should just keep track on paper and build a bankroll. Attempting to understand class levels (it's not easy) is a good start. Good luck.

ubercapper
02-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Although the race classifications page linked to is quite complete here are the specifics of the conditions you mentioned:

"Op40Nw1$x 58K" is a NW1X allowance race. The conditions are likely "non-winners of one race with a winners share of $XX (which is spelled out in the text conditions) other than maiden, claiming or starter, or statebred, with the option to enter for a $40K claiming price. The gross purse (the money available to be distributed to the winner through fifth, although some tracks pay farther down) is $58K.

I think you missed a number in the 2nd as it is likely "25000nw2L 25k" or ""25000nw3L 25k", I will assume the number is a 2 and that means it is a is a $25,000 claiming race for non-winners of 2 lifetime. Every horse is entered for a $25,000 claiming price. The second 25K should also be the gross purse of the race

Alwnw1$x 58K is similar to the first but without the optional claiming component. It is an allowance race for non-winners of 1 race worth Some $$ to the winner. The x means "other than maiden, claiming, starter or statebred."

Although you didn't mention it there are many allowance races without the $ in them. An example would be ALWN1X, which is a straight non-winners of 1 race other than maiden, claiming, starter or statebred.

Robert Goren
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Optional Claiming are have an OC in the front not OP. I just checked the DRF site to be sure.

VinnFX
03-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Optional Claiming are have an OC in the front not OP. I just checked the DRF site to be sure.
Hey guys just joined the site , started to get involved in racing as of late I have a ? Maybe someone with more experience can help me with , been handicapping , and come across a problem when handicapping a route race and there are sprit horse and route mixed in the same race , I trying to get the best pace and speed by adding the 3 previous races and come up with the best figs , but how do I compare the sprint horse , to the route there times are off so how can I categorize these for the best contenders ??????

Clocker
03-05-2014, 12:40 AM
I trying to get the best pace and speed by adding the 3 previous races and come up with the best figs

As a beginner, you don't want to be manipulating data between races until you get some experience. Assume that the horse's most recent race is the best indication of its current condition and ability. If you have a good reason to assume otherwise, move to a previous race which, for some good reason, you think is more representative.

Also, as a beginner, you should not be trying to project a route ability from a sprint performance. Look for a recent route race in the horse's record, and see if the horse appears to be in the same condition now as then. Never be afraid to pass on a race where the horses have too much variation in past distances, surfaces, and conditions. After the race, come back to the past performances and try to see how the history might have predicted the actual race.