Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
andicap

Bob Pandolfo's pace handicapping book

I went back through a year of posts and didn't see anything about this book, nor do I know when Bob put it on the market but here it is, a book about picking longshots at the t-breds.

I haven't bought it -- yet -- but Pandy is an astute handicapper and at $40, it's probably worth a read.

http://www.handicappingwinners.com/longshotbook.htm
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
pandy

Thanks for the mention, I appreciate it. So far the book has one review on Amazon (see below).

*****5.0 out of 5 stars New pace ideas for pace handicappers! December 11, 2012
By Herman King

Really enjoyed reading "Pace Handicapping Longshots" it was filled with lots of current examples of horse racing. Along with in depth rules regarding the horse pace requirements and the longshot methods that picked the horse. The material is brand new and not rehashed theory from other handicapping books. If your looking for new ideas that the masses are not already using give this a serious workout. The method is based on sound handicapping principles and easy to locate the longshots horses. No matter what racing form you use from drf, brisnet, equibase, or any other source. With more handicappers focusing on speed figures. It makes sense to find horses with better prices that have hidden pace advantages.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
plainolebill

I bought it just now, looks good. I see there is a little more information - including your P3 betting strategy your website.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
bkeefe

Bob,

Will this book be available in kindle format as well? I love having trotpicks on my ipad whenever I need it.

Merry Christmas

Brian
bkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Guess I better buy myself a nice Christmas present.
Is this an E Book?

Thanks for the heads up, Andy!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
andicap

So, 20% of sales generated from this site, right, Bob?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeefe
Bob,

Will this book be available in kindle format as well? I love having trotpicks on my ipad whenever I need it.

Merry Christmas

Brian

Merry Christmas. Thanks for your interest Brian. I had 500 copies printed so it could be a while before it goes to Kindle because I won't put it on Kindle or PDF until the book is sold out. I'm actually writing a fiction series that will be published for Kindle and the first mystery should be published in February. I'm having a lot of fun writing it, I've always wanted to write a novel.

I did get some sales from this post, thanks guys. Pace should email me his address, I'd like to mail him a free book.

Last edited by pandy; 12-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I did get some sales from this post, thanks guys. Pace should email me his address, I'd like to mail him a free book.
PA doesn't accept, um, payola, so send it to me first and I'll send it along.

I know, I know, I'm hilarious.
(and I forwarded the book URL address to my wife )

Actually, I would also like Andicap to write an ebook about horseracing. Maybe something like, "Summer Longshots -or- How I gave Justin the key to a $1000 P4 using the same horse I gave him last year at Saratoga".

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
bkeefe

Ordered mine! Thanks again Bob.
bkeefe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill
I bought it just now, looks good. I see there is a little more information - including your P3 betting strategy your website.

Pandy's book, any good, anything new.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
nagwa

boxcars methods

any information on boxcars methods are they featured in this book
nagwa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

I really hate reviewing a new book in the month before I have a new product coming out. A good review always costs me sales. LOL

The bad news (for me) is that this book is pretty darn good, and worth the time it takes to read it.

In a nutshell, Pandy gives you some specific advice on longshot characteristics. Kind of like, "Here are some angles for finding good longshots," and then he proceeds to give you his precise rules. (My words, not his.)

The book is not a long read - just 45 8.5" x 11" pages, which is probably about 80 pages in a more "normal-sized" book. To reduce the size, Pandy chose to only show the horses used the the example as opposed to showing the entire field. Those extra graphics will not be missed at all. (My point here is that many books get inflated with lots of unnecessary graphics.)

After building his case for each angle in reasonable depth, Bob does a good job of summarizing the angles on a single page (pg. 26).

Of course, the real test will be the validity of his angles, a topic I am not prepared to discuss at this time.

As I understand, the angles are not meant as pure "systems." That is, the angles are pretty simple and designed to point to potential plays, rather than a system that says, "Play all the horses with these characteristics."

I would guess that some readers of this book will find the angles very enlightening, while another segment may say that they expect "finished and complete systems."

On page 27, is The Pace Shape Longshot Spot Play Method. This comes pretty close to a concrete, "Bet These Horses" kind of approach. In my opinion, it is based in reality and worthy of a look.

Personally, I cannot wait to throw some queries at these ideas and see where I am led. For me, that is the value of most books I purchase: "What starting points for research does the book provide?" All I can ask for is a book that provides a couple of good new concepts for me to follow through upon and this book does that surprisingly well considering its small size.

Review Ratings (out of 5 possible stars)
4.5 Beginning players looking for NEW longshot ideas.
4.0 Intermediate players looking for NEW longshot ideas.
3.0 Advanced players looking for NEW longshot ideas.
2.0 Players looking for a turnkey approach.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
thaskalos

IMO...the authors owe it to their readers to supply the PPs of the entire field when using particular angles or handicapping theories to handicap an example race. Just showing the PPs of the winner doesn't do the trick.

How do we know that there weren't other horses in the field who fit the criteria even more solidly than the winner did?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
IMO...the authors owe it to their readers to supply the PPs of the entire field when using particular angles or handicapping theories to handicap an example race. Just showing the PPs of the winner doesn't do the trick.
Thask,

Normally I would agree, when the author is handicapping the race, but in this case it really wasn't necessary. Think of William Qurin's chapter on ES Points: it was not about the RACES; it was about the horse's characteristics.

I picked up 5 angles from this book that I will check out with factor studies.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
CincyHorseplayer

I've always liked and related to what Bob has posted and looked up some older articles.This is on the get list.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply