Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #61
Sysonby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
A lot of it has to do with compromised horses getting past the morning vet checks. Perfectly sound horses don't break down too often, its mostly the ones who have underlying problems....these tracks need to do a better job at not letting the unsound ones race....of course, since its an owners and trainers game and not a tracks or bettors game, its easier said than done.
I couldn't agree more. Many, if not most, horses suffering catastrophic breakdowns have been shown to have pre-existing injuries. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether microfracturing which is a natural part of the conditioning process is being read as a pre-existing injury by the individuals doing the necropsies.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysonby
I couldn't agree more. Many, if not most, horses suffering catastrophic breakdowns have been shown to have pre-existing injuries. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether microfracturing which is a natural part of the conditioning process is being read as a pre-existing injury by the individuals doing the necropsies.
Thanks.

Its unfortunate that from a financial aspect that some horses arent 'worth' stopping on for 6 months or a year, its a money losing proposition to nurse a 10k claimer back to health on a long extended break, this is part of the game and as part of the game, they just send them out into battle while not 100 percent. I'm not sure how this part of the game can ever get fixed.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #63
Valuist

People forget about the unintended consequences of synthetic racing; a meet like the fall CD meet is mostly unplayable. You have lots of 2 year old races, and most of the runners have only run at Kee, AP and/or TP so they have no real dirt form to go on.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #64
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
People forget about the unintended consequences of synthetic racing; a meet like the fall CD meet is mostly unplayable. You have lots of 2 year old races, and most of the runners have only run at Kee, AP and/or TP so they have no real dirt form to go on.
Man I could not agree more.I can get picky and find some plays in there but it's a mess and worse,sorting is out is a friggin headache,even to look at those PP's!Other than turf races I don't play Kentucky at all anymore after Ellis during the year.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #65
proximity

i'm no fan of synthetic tracks, but i vote no more changes.

you start to get some reliable data for pars and long term track bias and then they want to change the track yet again?? enough.

and why keep digging up a main track that only races six weeks a year and schedules lots of turf races?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #66
letswastemoney

I would love for the Breeders' Cup to be on synthetic again.

People say not to worry about the differences between dirt and synthetic when handicapping. Those are the handicappers I avoid like the plague.

Keeneland is too small I hear, but it would be a betting dream if the Breeders' Cup were held at Keeneland or Del Mar.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #67
Sysonby

I love handicapping Del Mar especially.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #68
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney

People say not to worry about the differences between dirt and synthetic when handicapping. Those are the handicappers I avoid like the plague.
I don't hear handicappers saying that. I hear them saying the difference between dirt and Poly is like night and day.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #69
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I would love for the Breeders' Cup to be on synthetic again.

Keeneland is too small I hear, but it would be a betting dream if the Breeders' Cup were held at Keeneland or Del Mar.
The only automatic throw-outs for the BC at SA on poly were ANY dirt horses. Curlin underlined that fact. Not a single dirt horse won any of the races for four days - all came off poly last out.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #70
lamboguy

i heard today that the management at Keeneland wants the horsemen out of the place by May 8 to work on the track to bring back the regular dirt.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #71
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i heard today that the management at Keeneland wants the horsemen out of the place by May 8 to work on the track to bring back the regular dirt.
Heard today? Didn't you post the exact same thing at least a week ago?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #72
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Heard today? Didn't you post the exact same thing at least a week ago?
sorrry i don't think so
Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #73
Leparoux

^^ Is there any truth to that?
Leparoux is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #74
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leparoux
^^ Is there any truth to that?
i think Keeneland has officially announced today that they are going back to dirt. it sure as hell took them awhile
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #75
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i think Keeneland has officially announced today that they are going back to dirt. it sure as hell took them awhile

They also said that there was a chance to go back to synthetic if the new surface isn't as safe as poly