Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
aharon5741

Beulah Stewards

Race one today at BEU really looked like the #2 should have come down. I never notice stuff like bumping and drifting out on other horses when watching races, but this time I was all over it. The stewards at BEU didn't take down the offending horse! How much do you need to drift out on another horse to get taken down anyway, I'd love to know the rules.

See the Chart Here:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...032112USA1.pdf
aharon5741 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharon5741
Race one today at BEU really looked like the #2 should have come down. I never notice stuff like bumping and drifting out on other horses when watching races, but this time I was all over it. The stewards at BEU didn't take down the offending horse! How much do you need to drift out on another horse to get taken down anyway, I'd love to know the rules.

See the Chart Here:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...032112USA1.pdf
Lot's of states are different. Here's what we use in California.

1699. Riding Rules.

During the running of the race:

(a) A leading horse is entitled to any part of the course but when another horse is attempting to pass in a clear opening the leading horse shall not cross over so as to compel the passing horse to shorten its stride.

(b) A horse shall not interfere with or cause any other horse to lose stride, ground or position in a part of the race where the horse loses the opportunity to place where it might be reasonably expected to finish.

(c) A horse which interferes with another and thereby causes any other horse to lose stride, ground or position, when such other horse is not at fault and when such interference occurs in a part of the race where the horse interfered with loses the opportunity to place where it might, in the opinion of the Stewards, be reasonably expected to finish, may be disqualified and placed behind the horse so interfered with.

(d) Jockeys shall not ride carelessly, or willfully, so as to permit their mount to interfere with or impede any other horse.

(e) Jockeys shall not willfully strike or strike at another horse or jockey so as to impede, interfere with, intimidate, or injure.

(f) If a jockey rides in a manner contrary to this rule, the mount may be disqualified and the jockey

may be suspended or otherwise disciplined by the Stewards.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
startngate

Ohio's rules are pretty vague.

3769-4-41. Foul riding; disqualification
(A) The stewards shall take cognizance of foul riding whether objection to same is made or not.
(B) The stewards shall determine the extent of disqualification in cases of fouls occurring during the running of the race. They
may place an offending horse behind such horses as in their judgment it interfered with, or they may place it last. Effective: 1-1-85

In watching the head-on, there wasn't anything major going on until the last bump, and it's hard to tell if that was actually past the wire as both jockeys stood up immediately after. Also, it was pretty clear the second place horse wasn't going to get up even if the other horse hadn't drifted out. Could you make a case for taking the horse down? Maybe, but this was pretty minor and a good no-call IMO.

Last edited by startngate; 03-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

How serious can anyone take racing at Beulah? They race for peanuts, so I doubt the stewards are top notch, or that they even care.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
How serious can anyone take racing at Beulah? They race for peanuts, so I doubt the stewards are top notch, or that they even care.
First, how much to rent your space?

Second, don't you think that's a rather glib comment regarding a small market track? I don't know if you have some long standing beef with Beulah in particular -- if so, then the rest of my response is mute.

However, just because a track or any business/organization is of a small scale doesn't automatically make it of any less consequence to those involved. My home track is probably of the same scale as Beulah and the people that work there are all top notch and care a great deal about their duties. Maybe the motivation isn't always cash but the majority of people put their best effort forward no matter what they do.

Just my thoughts on "racing for peanuts"! Not meaning to raise your ire.

Trotter

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharon5741
Apparently at Hawthorne not much. Just got shafted on a BS DQ in the 6th race off an objection with no inquiry. The did drift a little but the was already fading. There was no progress to impede. I have seen much worse with no inquiries or objections. What a joke.

I gave up on playing Beulah because of the jockeys.

Last edited by shouldacoulda; 03-21-2012 at 05:39 PM.
shouldacoulda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
First, how much to rent your space?

Second, don't you think that's a rather glib comment regarding a small market track? I don't know if you have some long standing beef with Beulah in particular -- if so, then the rest of my response is mute.

However, just because a track or any business/organization is of a small scale doesn't automatically make it of any less consequence to those involved. My home track is probably of the same scale as Beulah and the people that work there are all top notch and care a great deal about their duties. Maybe the motivation isn't always cash but the majority of people put their best effort forward no matter what they do.

Just my thoughts on "racing for peanuts"! Not meaning to raise your ire.

Trotter
I don't have any beef with Beulah. I'm just saying if you are going to bet minor league tracks, you have to expect this sort of thing. I can't speak for your track since you didn't identify it, but at the smaller tracks I've been around what I stated is what I have observed.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I don't have any beef with Beulah. I'm just saying if you are going to bet minor league tracks, you have to expect this sort of thing. I can't speak for your track since you didn't identify it, but at the smaller tracks I've been around what I stated is what I have observed.
You didn't answer my first question -- First, how much to rent your space?

My home track is Assiniboia Downs. Small time -- big people! I have to respectuflly disagree with "you have to expect this sort of thing"! Extraordinary experiences often come from small places and disappointing experiences can often be found in big places (organizations).

I'm not necessarily using just Race Tracks as a barometer here, rather any ongoing enterprise. You never know when or where an "exceptional" experience will be found.

I'll agree to disagree on this one.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
You didn't answer my first question -- First, how much to rent your space?

My home track is Assiniboia Downs. Small time -- big people! I have to respectuflly disagree with "you have to expect this sort of thing"! Extraordinary experiences often come from small places and disappointing experiences can often be found in big places (organizations).

I'm not necessarily using just Race Tracks as a barometer here, rather any ongoing enterprise. You never know when or where an "exceptional" experience will be found.

I'll agree to disagree on this one.
1 dollar, Canadian.

One thing I can assure you is that nobody is having an exceptional experience at Beulah Park.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
cosmo96

Smaller Tracks

Some of the big betters and handicappers don't like the smaller tracks. They think that if these tracks didn't exist there would be fuller fields, and better quality. They are right, but there is a sentamental attachment. I love River Downs. I grew up with it. When I was a teenager my parents took me there, and made bets for me. River Downs is as much a part of the Cincinnati culture as the Reds. I can't wait for opening day.
cosmo96 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo96
Some of the big betters and handicappers don't like the smaller tracks. They think that if these tracks didn't exist there would be fuller fields, and better quality. They are right, but there is a sentamental attachment. I love River Downs. I grew up with it. When I was a teenager my parents took me there, and made bets for me. River Downs is as much a part of the Cincinnati culture as the Reds. I can't wait for opening day.
Not sure that they would be right. Some of the horses at the smaller tracks wouldn't have a chance at the bigger tracks. If there is no where for them to be competitive then what? Sell for slaughter? Abandon them? And then the loss of jobs.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
Not sure that they would be right. Some of the horses at the smaller tracks wouldn't have a chance at the bigger tracks. If there is no where for them to be competitive then what? Sell for slaughter? Abandon them? And then the loss of jobs.
Great points.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
1 dollar, Canadian.
I'll buy it for the Dollar.

Tag it: ASD Live Racing May 6th - September 23rd, 2012

Link the ASD to http://www.assiniboiadowns.com

Do you tak PayPal?

Jim Schoenfeld