Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
jfdinneen

Whos #1: The Science of Rating And Ranking

I would like to recommend Whos #1: The Science Of Rating And Ranking for your handicapping library.

John
jfdinneen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Ordered. Thank you, John.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
TrifectaMike

John and Dave,

I haven't read the book. However, I'm sure it should be a good read. I'm familiar with Dr. Amy Langville both as a researcher and a thesis advisor in the area of Ranking Algorithms. She primarily approaches the subject from a Linear Algebra perspective ( get yourself a good Linear Algebra textbook).

What you will not find in the Ranking Algorithms and techniques is how to convert rankings to probabilities.

For example:

We have N horses ranked by some criteria. How can we assign a probability to the N ranked horses as a function of N and rank order? This is not a simple exercise, and I doubt it'll be addressed in the book.

There are theoretical distributions of distributions which can be used to approximate the probabilities. In fact, these distributions are very useful in horse racing.

For example, if you gave me the ranked order by odds ( not the actual odds) of N horses, I could give you a very good estimate of the individiual odds, without any handicapping.

Mike (Dr Beav)

P.S. Dave, in your New Pace can the contenders be ranked. If they can, I can provide to you a chart which I think you'll like very much.
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Oh, alright, if you insist that I must take advantage of what might become a huge breakthrough by learning something new, go ahead and send it to me.

Mike, any time you have anything you'd like to send along, please don't hesitate to do so. Email is best.

Dave
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
jfdinneen

Benfords Law

Mike,

With respect to the rank order of favorites on Betfair, I use Benfords Law to generate an initial distribution of win probabilities. Perhaps you could extrapolate this "ranking to probability conversion rule" to other sets of data.

John
jfdinneen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Looks like I will not be able to get to this until Thursday or Friday.

Dang.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
TrifectaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdinneen
Mike,

With respect to the rank order of favorites on Betfair, I use Benfords Law to generate an initial distribution of win probabilities. Perhaps you could extrapolate this "ranking to probability conversion rule" to other sets of data.

John
John,

Can you PM your email address to me?

Mike (Dr Beav)
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Just got my book in the mail this afternoon. Going to spend tonight reading it and see if there is anything that will help me with Handifast rankings.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
Just got my book in the mail this afternoon. Going to spend tonight reading it and see if there is anything that will help me with Handifast rankings.

Handi
I hope you will give us a review, I have been working along these lines with a project of mine.

Thanks
BIG49010 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I had to put down the book and go back and refresh my Algebra skills. Been out of school for a long time and my math skills have crumbled a bit. If you are not a math person, you will be totally lost in this book.

It is a very good read in a very Math Geeky way. I am only about half way through it. But taking my time as I have a lot of other things going on.

I would advise anyone who really wants to delve into the subject to go ahead and get the book. But it's not an easy read.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: