Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
precisionk

Pedigree Handicapping

I am interested in learning a bit more about how to do Pedigree handicapping or rather find resources about Sire's and Dam's. I would love to be able to have the ability to look at PP's and determine quickly for maiden races or other races, if I feel the horse has the bloodlines to get certain distances etc etc.

Anyone have any good resources for learning this as well as large resources of said sire and dam's?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Capper Al

This is one of the toughest ones. I've read a few books on the subject and still can't remember who's who come race day.

Try these two articles from BRIS:

BRIS Pedigree Ratings F.A.Q.
Using Pedigree Stats to Handicap

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Precision I'm right there with you.After 15 years I'm starting to know some of the sires and dams but I know I need a better structural understanding of the subject.Here are a few from my to read list from last year and prices from Amazon;

Mike Helm-Pedigree Handicapping($9.70 + shipping)

Lauren Stitch-Pedigree Handicapping($2.99)

Ledbetter-The Body Language Of Horses($0.90)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Pell Mell
Veteran

This may sound kind of silly to some but I've done pretty good over the years using pedigrees to handicap. I mostly use pedigrees to determine what horses can get the classic distances.

When looking at pedigrees I don't look at who won what and when. I
don't pay too much attention to immediate sires and in fact, don't care too much who the sire is as long as he matches the mare.

Anyone can check stuff I've written and see I do ok with pedigree capping.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
EvenSteven

Thanks for the link
Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell Mell
This may sound kind of silly to some but I've done pretty good over the years using pedigrees to handicap. I mostly use pedigrees to determine what horses can get the classic distances.
Why would that sound silly? Most rational horseplayers realize there are many different roads to profit in this game.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
turninforhome10

The book that changed it for me was Great Breeders and their Methods by Hewitt. Very thoughtful historical look at the breeders who changed the breed. I must have read this thing a dozen times and always find something new. The Thoroughbred Heritage http://www.tbheritage.com/ is very good resource for learning historical sirelines and reines de course. This time of year with the new maidens, I like to use the Dam Production Index and follow those with top producing mama's.

Last edited by turninforhome10; 02-03-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
precisionk

Thanks for the links and resources. Looking to dig in this topic and hopefully get a beneficial edge that others may lack. If anyone has any more resources or info on this topic, feel free to put it here.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Why would that sound silly? Most rational horseplayers realize there are many different roads to profit in this game.
What I meant was that many would think I'm silly to think I'm able to handicap by pedigree by using a very simple method. Most of those guys that wrote books about the study of pedigrees go through all kinds of contortions and yet few do as well as I do. I can't write a book about it because it would only take up a few pages.

It's one thing to talk up a pedigree after the fact but I do it before the fact and that's why I get those huge winners.

I know there are some who check my writings but few will admit I do very well. My pedigree picks have probably made enough money already this year to last through the TC series. Just saying...
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
What I meant was that many would think I'm silly to think I'm able to handicap by pedigree by using a very simple method. Most of those guys that wrote books about the study of pedigrees go through all kinds of contortions and yet few do as well as I do. I can't write a book about it because it would only take up a few pages.

It's one thing to talk up a pedigree after the fact but I do it before the fact and that's why I get those huge winners.

I know there are some who check my writings but few will admit I do very well. My pedigree picks have probably made enough money already this year to last through the TC series. Just saying...
You give out 4-6 horses a race and then thump your chest if one wins. Yeah....real revolutionary stuff.

That isn't handicapping. You're playing equine bingo.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
You give out 4-6 horses a race and then thump your chest if one wins. Yeah....real revolutionary stuff.

That isn't handicapping. You're playing equine bingo.
Bullshit! I give 4 horses and 3 of the 4 run 1-2-3

Like yesterday in the Rb Lewis..I gave 4 and 2 of them ran 1-2 with the 44/1 on top of my top choice...you ain't never done anything like that...your true colors always show through...your green through and through..met a thousand like you in my life time..

There are people that could buy and sell you with their pocket change that love my stuff, so go sell your jealous rants to somebody that gives a shit!!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Bullshit! I give 4 horses and 3 of the 4 run 1-2-3

Like yesterday in the Rb Lewis..I gave 4 and 2 of them ran 1-2 with the 44/1 on top of my top choice...you ain't never done anything like that...your true colors always show through...your green through and through..met a thousand like you in my life time..

There are people that could buy and sell you with their pocket change that love my stuff, so go sell your jealous rants to somebody that gives a shit!!
I gave out a $114 horse here last year. Only I do it with one per race and don't play bingo.

You give out 4 per race and then whine that no one will pay the $2.50 for your newsletter. Hilarious.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
I gave out a $114 horse here last year. Only I do it with one per race and don't play bingo.

You give out 4 per race and then whine that no one will pay the $2.50 for your newsletter. Hilarious.
Maybe you don't like exotics especially ones with box car payoffs but a lot of people do...

The only thing hilarious is that you can't see that by your comments you show people what an ass you are..
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe you don't like exotics especially ones with box car payoffs but a lot of people do...

The only thing hilarious is that you can't see that by your comments you show people what an ass you are..
If so many people do, you wouldn't be whining that people won't pay the $2.50 for them, right? If so many people liked your stuff, they'd be paying the money right?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Pell Mell
Veteran

Quote:
If so many people do, you wouldn't be whining that people won't pay the $2.50 for them, right? If so many people liked your stuff, they'd be paying the money right?
you have a way of misinterpreting things...I don't care about 2 bucks..I was just needling a lot of those who thought 2 bucks was a lot of money, people like you..I actually send it for free to those who ask and don't act like a scum bag..
Closed Thread