Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2012 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > PA Inter-Board Handicapping League (P.A.I.H.L.) (Jan 7 - Apr 14, 2012)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

CONTEST SCHEDULES

We have received a fair amount of feedback
from Players, Teams and Sponsors
regarding the make-up and posting of the Weekly Schedules

As we strive to give our participants
the best possible handicapping experience
we have received the message loud and clear
and will be acting upon the input to make improvements

An annoucement will be made later this week
to clarify the direction we intend to take

Thanks

If you wish to make further comment
Now is the time -- Please post in this thread

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
JETSWIN

i'd rather see a full card (one track) each week, makes it more a test of skill & fair to all
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
andtheyreoff

I would just like to know what the formula is for making the schedule each week. I mean, we've seen a starter allowance race from Parx, a $5,000 claimer at Tampa, a 5 1/2 furlong maiden special weight at Fair Grounds, and two cancelled races from Aqueduct, one of which was a $15,000 maiden claimer. Not to mention all the confusion on week 3.

I mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but what's the rhyme and reason behind what you guys do?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
mrhorseplayer

I would rather see the schedule come out on Friday, like most contest do, I mean who needs all this time to capp a few races and Tampa does not come out till late.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I would just like to know what the formula is for making the schedule each week. I mean, we've seen a starter allowance race from Parx, a $5,000 claimer at Tampa, a 5 1/2 furlong maiden special weight at Fair Grounds, and two cancelled races from Aqueduct, one of which was a $15,000 maiden claimer. Not to mention all the confusion on week 3.

I mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but what's the rhyme and reason behind what you guys do?

suppose to be a field of 10 so this knocks out a lot of races, has to have free pp's at youbets place so this knocks out a lot, then take your pick as they need to all be ran within a few hours of event 1 then it has to be on fast tracks or on turf, no slop or off tracks
Old 01-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer
I would rather see the schedule come out on Friday, like most contest do, I mean who needs all this time to capp a few races and Tampa does not come out till late.
We're leaning toward releasing it a few hours later...like perhaps by 10pm on Thursday.

I realize the Tampa races aren't up until Friday most of the time on WhoBet's site, but they ARE available Thursday if you know where to look.

If we post any contest races that are NOT up on WhoBet's site by the time we post the schedule, but ARE available, we will post links to those races, so you'll at least be able to get to them until they are up on WhoBet.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff

There are few rules this year. I believe the guidelines we are working under is that Free PPs are available, and there are at least 10 betting interests in the race, although if there is a nice competitive stakes race with only 8 or 9 runners, we'll probably use that even though they don't have 10.

I think wide open, competitive events are what we're looking for when it comes to the schedule...and Free PPs....

Plus we also like to schedule a "card" that only lasts about 4 hours, with no super wide gaps in between races.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
tiger rose

It's been my learning from running contests,especially free ones.
Someone will always complain,no matter what you do it will never end.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

From my point of view....

I'll just clarify where I was coming from with regard to the schedule.

Last year it was our intention to focus on the Derby Prep Races as the base structure of the race schedule. That didn't work out so well because of the generally smaller fields. Guys wanted larger fields, so I took that off the table as a mandatory prerequisite. Contest 4, the RDSS Sartin/Bradshaw Memorial 'Road to the Roses' event will have a focus on the Derby Prep races.

Next, a prerequisite is to have Free Brisnet PPs available for each contest card. We did a poll last year and a fair number of players indicated they wouldn't participate without the Free PPs. A major goal is keep the contests accessible for the "everyday" handicapper so they don't need to purchase PPs to participate. That won't change in the middle of the season but we can address it once again at the end of the current season. This pretty much rules out using a card from one specific race track.

Third, we want to keep the contest within a 3 to 4 hour window so that players can follow live and scorers have a reasonable time frame to do their thing. Nobody wants to spend an entire day at the computer.

Finally, we want large fields (10+); varied surfaces; relatively fair distribution of tracks and competitive wagering events.

We didn't specifically state these parameters because last year we were held under a microscope when we went outside the lines.

We run these contests as a benefit to our valued members with the intention of giving the players contests they eagerly want to participate in, as well as ones Sponsors wish to support. What would be the point otherwise. So, we are listing and will adjust until we get it right.

Thanks

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
bks

This contest is run very, very well, especially considering it is free. I quite enjoy being made to sift through crap races I would otherwise avoid; it's a handicapping contest, after all.

I would think carefully before dramatically changing anything.

Full disclosure: My team is mid-pack in the standings.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Midnight Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger rose
It's been my learning from running contests,especially free ones.
Someone will always complain,no matter what you do it will never end.
this above post sums it up pretty well. Thanks for runnin the contest and whatever races you use, you use-I dont understand why someone would complain when you consider the entry fee...
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
highrider

I think a diversity of hard to handicap races is what a contest should be.
If it was easy I for one would lose all interest.
Thank You for all of your attention of the most interesting free tournament's anywhere. The rules are perfect..Why change a thing.
It's FUN and FREE..Where can you find that..Look Around!
Great Job Bear/Track Collector & everyone Involved!
Highrider.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Turfway Ed

I'm a casual player. I love the challenge of sorting through pp's to arrive with a winner. The present contest is great. I look forward to it every week and usually watch race by race on TwinSpires and follow Bear's/Chris' scoring--- a great way to spend a Saturday.

If the races were pulled from one card, I'd buy a pp. I would not play, if I had to buy multiple cards.

I am a paper and pencil handicapper. I print out the pp's and go from there.

I don't know why the contest races need to be announced no earlier than 10 PM on Thursday. Earlier would be better for me. The communication with one's teammates is the problem--- who's taking what race (we divide the card 3-3-2).

Don't let the criticisms get to you. All appreciate the contest and your roles in providing it. Tweaking is possible, but no major changes please.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfway Ed
I don't know why the contest races need to be announced no earlier than 10 PM on Thursday.
It's difficult to know what races are going to have Free PPs available, for starters. Some tracks, like Tampa, are very hard to find even late on Thursday night.

I would prefer to get a nice, balanced, CORRECT schedule posted then have to rush and meet some sort of deadline.

I would think 36+ hours is plenty of advance time, don't you?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Turfway Ed

I guess that I don't.

Of course, thirty-six hours is plenty of time to handicap, but to learn the contest card "no earlier than 10 PM on Thursday," means that I can't start telephoning my partners to divvy up the card when it's already after 10 PM . Communication is difficult when it's a "team" contest.

I usually don't learn my assignment until 5 PM on Friday when their workday is done and they are home.

Just saying that I'd value more time. I feel squeezed and "in a perfect world," I'd have more notice.

Last edited by Turfway Ed; 01-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: