Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 124 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #16
boxcar

vCash: 400
Stupid Remakrs Elicit Telling Perry Response

Pastor Defends Comments Calling Mormonism a ‘Cult’, GOP Candidates Respond

A supposedly evangelical pastor and supporter of Perry after he introduced Perry at some event told reports that Romney belonged to a cult -- that Mormonism was in fact a cult. True? Yup, you bet. Theologically, the Church of the Latter Day Saints is out to lunch on some fundamental doctrines. But the pastor should not have broached this subject with reporters. Romney is running for office, not as president of some conservative seminary. This pastor demonstrated a lack of wisdom in making these kinds of comments. This was the start of a three-ring circus.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pas...ogian-in-chief/

Then we have this:

Bill Bennett Excoriates Pastor Who Called Mormonism a ‘Cult’

Bennett is clueless for calling this pastor a bigot. The pastor was absolutely right in his assessment of Mormonism. But Bennett should have come down on him for a lack of courtesy, respect, decency and discretion. But it's not bigotry to call a particular faith for what it is and has long been considered in evangelical circles. Mormonism is by no means orthodox Christianity.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/bil...rmonism-a-cult/

But it gets better:

Pastor Who Backs Perry Says Romney Is 'Not a Christian'

The alleged evangelical Perry then proceeds to throw his brother and supporter (the offending pastor) under the bus when he was asked if he considered Mormonism to be a cult. He answered, "No!" (I'm sure that PC answer went over like a lead balloon to numerous evangelicals who believe otherwise.) Perry showed that he wont' stand on principle when he thinks it's not politically expedient. He also showed by that answer that he's not too swift. He could have fielded that question (as direct as it was) in other ways -- in a way that would not have offended evangelicals, or offended the equally as dull pastor (nonetheless a political supporter and pastor of a large congregation) or betrayed his apparent lack of core values as a professing evangelical Christian.

Perry needs to learn from the sharpster Cain, who knew how to keep above the fray when he was approached for his opinion on this matter.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/pas...y-not-christian

Boxcar
Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. - 1Cor 6:9-10
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #17
NJ Stinks

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad

I'm interested in how many others do not attend services regularly and still feel good about their status in God's eyes.

I'm in the same pew as you, CJ's Dad.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
LottaKash
"YHVH" rules !

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, and after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ"...Col.1:8
best,
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #19
thaskalos
The truth is out there...

Quote:
So, does the fact that I have little use for an organized religion condemn me to a life in hell ? I hope not.

I'm interested in how many others do not attend services regularly and still feel good about their status in God's eyes.

My next door neighbor is a Greek Orthodox priest, and we often have discussions about God, the afterlife...and what is expected from us in order to gain entrance into the Kingdom of Heaven.

I asked him once if being an honest and compassionate human being was enough...or were we expected to be more than that...

"God did not create us just to be honest and compassionate", he told me..."He created us so we could be his WARRIORS".

"Unless we make great sacrifices for Him, Heaven will not be for us"...he said.

I solemnly confessed to him that our acquaintance would have to be limited to this life alone...

Last edited by thaskalos : 10-10-2011 at 02:14 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #20
Actor

Anybody seen the movie Religulous with Bill Maher?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #21
hcap

Looks like this issue is a hot topic for Evangelicals

Politically Correct?
hcap is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
CurtisontheBay

Amazing how eager, almost fanatical, the media is to run with this story about Romney. Some half-baked preacher from Texas calls out Mitt on his Mormonism and all hell breaks loose.

Where was the same media on BO, and his association with the Rev. Jeramiah Wright. You remember the good "REV." the anti-semitic guy who preached hatred from the pulpit. Talk about a gutter religion !!
I had a roommate, his name was Eddie, and Eddie was slow on the mental draw. I was writing a letter, I had a problem... I said, "Ed, how do you abbreviate Arkansas?" He said, "I don't know, just start spelling it, then quit!"

Mitch Hedberg

CurtisontheBay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
Tom

vCash: 1310
A Mormon in the White House....or a racist biggot who sat and listened to that hate for 20 years and called him his spiritual advisor......hmmmmmmm.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
CurtisontheBay

Lest we forget this religious icon !

A brief reminder of hatred from the "pulpit" and the voice of organized "religion".

Hate Speech from BO's mentor !
I had a roommate, his name was Eddie, and Eddie was slow on the mental draw. I was writing a letter, I had a problem... I said, "Ed, how do you abbreviate Arkansas?" He said, "I don't know, just start spelling it, then quit!"

Mitch Hedberg

CurtisontheBay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
hcap

Quote:
A brief reminder of hatred from the "pulpit" and the voice of organized "religion".

I didn't say I cared about Romney's Mormonism. I said the Evangelicals do. Personally I don't care what he believes.

As long as he keeps it out of his politics.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
mostpost

Quote:
I was raised as a Catholic and as such went to church all through my formative years. My wife and I raised our 3 sons the same way. As things happened, she passed away, the boys moved on and so forth. I no longer attend church, somewhat from laziness, but mainly because I believe it proves nothing. What I try to do and I feel I have succeeded is to be kind to others in my everyday life. I speak and act politely regardless at times how difficult that may be. I help where I can and give thanks for my blessings, i.e. 3 fine boys and 6 grandchildren, a wonderful 30 years of marriage, a great mom and good friends.

So, does the fact that I have little use for an organized religion condemn me to a life in hell ? I hope not.

I don't think you will go to hell. But I don't think you will go to heaven right away. That doesn't apply just to you. It applies to me and to 99% of the people on earth. I do not believe in Hell. I do not believe in Purgatory as a place where we are punished for our sins.

I do believe there is a process where we are allowed and encouraged to see where we have erred and how to correct those errors. That process may involve returning to a physical life. It may involve education in the spiritual world. It may involve a combination.

As far as going to church regularly, I don't think it matters to God if we go to church or not. But, it matters to us. Church brings a sense of community and fellowship. Prayer is intensified when it is shared. It is focused. God answers shared prayers more readily because they are stronger, but, more importantly, because shared prayer shows that we care about others.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
LottaKash
"YHVH" rules !

Quote:

Hate Speech from BO's mentor !

What out and out hatred he spews...

1-cor 14:35 counters with this:

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in "all" the churches of the saints (truebelievers of the word of God) ".....

So, where does he get this from, certainly not from the Holy Bible, I'd say....

best,
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #28
Tom

vCash: 1310
mostie, do we get virgins there?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
mostie, do we get virgins there?

You are going to be spending a long, long time in the waiting room.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #30
hcap

Are pets allowed?

Serious question. Do animals have souls?