Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

Oh no!! Too bad the media never had this kind of goodwill towards George W. Bush...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ama_gaffe.html

Quote:
At one point Mr. Obama made a major gaffe; he identified Abraham Lincoln as the founder of the Republican Party.

Lincoln did not join the Republicans until 1856, over two years after the party was founded. The first Republican convention was held in Ripon, Wisconsin in 1854.

Such a gaffe would have brought huge amounts of ridicule and derision on George W. Bush, but in the case of Obama the media yawned.
Maybe it shouldn't be FUBO. Maybe it should be FUMM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Oh no!! Too bad the media never had this kind of goodwill towards George W. Bush...

Ahh....not such a terrible gaffe. Even Mosty, Hcap, FanDan, SugarDumpins could have made the same mistake.

At the point in time, I'm hard-pressed to decide who is the bigger Joker: The one in the WH or the MM media who continually props him up?

Boxcar

Boxcar
Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

To consider PBS anything of any importance is ridiculous - they are bottom of the barrel bad - so bad they have to beg for funding.

We have no need for PBS - e-meial to TP already sent - take them off life support asap.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

It would help if you read the whole article. At the bottom is this sentence (or two)
Quote:
It now says at the top of the transcript page now "EDITOR'S NOTE: The original transcript provided on this page, as was noted, reflected the president's remarks as prepared for delivery and released by the White House. This transcript has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered and released by the White House."
What that means is that somebody wrote this speech. The advance copy was released before anyone caught the error. I know the president saw the speech beforehand, but that does not mean he would catch every error. Between the time the advance copy was released and the time the speech was delivered somebody caught the error. It may have been the president but more likely it was an aide.

I would bet a lot of money that Obama knows when Lincoln joined the Republican party. He is a student of Lincoln. He admires the way Lincoln assembled a "Team Of Rivals" for his cabinet.

I would not bet that George W. Bush knows that Lincoln was tall.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
mostpost

Here is something else that shows Mr. Birdnow is full of crap. From the article PA linked:
Quote:
Shocking, but not surprising! B-Ho was also wrong on saying that Lincoln started the first land grant colleges.
The Morrill Act of 1862 set aside federal land in each state to be used for Agricultural Colleges. Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill...t_Colleges_Act
Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
bigmack

Mighty entertaining, this mostie. He has a boat load of "ifs, maybes, I'll bets" at the ready for his beloved leader and political potty. All the while he could be shown a tape of ACORN workers, where the entire world is outraged, and walk away saying A. Breitbart is a scumbag and a liar.

Ah, the adorable selective dishonesty of a retired postman from N. Riverside, IL turned superhero.

bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
mostpost

Just watched part of the speech on cspan dot org. Obama did say Founder of the Republican Party. Please disregard previous communication.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Please disregard previous communication.
But stay tuned for another fun filled episode.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Just watched part of the speech on cspan dot org. Obama did say Founder of the Republican Party. Please disregard previous communication.
It's amazing to me that you actually think people just make this shit up...you actually thought American Thinker was lying?

Lordy, lordy, lordy, you are a trip...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
It would help if you read the whole article. At the bottom is this sentence (or two)

What that means is that somebody wrote this speech. The advance copy was released before anyone caught the error. I know the president saw the speech beforehand, but that does not mean he would catch every error. Between the time the advance copy was released and the time the speech was delivered somebody caught the error. It may have been the president but more likely it was an aide.
What happened was that the White House released the speech to outlets before it was delivered, and this is what PBS uploaded.

The speech as delivered included some changes and ad-libs, such as the Lincoln comment.

PBS then updated their transcript to the speech as actually delivered. But before they did, the rags went over what they characterized as a deliberate "edit" of Obama's gaffe, which is not what happened. Some of the rags have now edited their stories to make that correction.

Obviously Obama meant father of the republican party, not founder.

And yes, if Bush had made the same mistake, I'm sure MSNBC would pre-empt programming for a 3-hour special to cover it
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
ElKabong

Quote:
as we do with many such communications....
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

[QUOTE=bigmack

Ah, the adorable selective dishonesty of a retired postman from N. Riverside, IL turned superhero.

[/QUOTE]

You are killing me!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
Yeah, sure he did. He can't say what he means, nor should we ever think for a moment this liar can ever mean what he says.

Quote:
And yes, if Bush had made the same mistake, I'm sure MSNBC would pre-empt programming for a 3-hour special to cover it
Either that, or they would have run scroll 24/7 for an entire week broadcasting it. Take your pick.

Boxcar
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
Greyfox

I'm dumb"founded."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan

Hmm? You're "thought reading" into what Obama meant and ultimately said.
Interesting use of language, FantasticDan.
If a father isn't a founder, what is he?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Hmm? You're "thought reading" into what Obama meant and ultimately said. Interesting use of language, FantasticDan.
If a father isn't a founder, what is he?
You people really have a talent for taking simple concepts, adding a pinch of dementia, and coming out with some really bizarre results.

Abraham Lincoln is known far and wide as the "father of the republican party". It's common knowledge. It's fact. Here look, even a website says so:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the...publican_Party

So I find it reasonable to assume that someone who was making a speech, and made an un-scripted remark about Lincoln being the "founder", might have meant "father". It's an easy mistake. It's within the realm of possibility and chance that a human might make this mistake. So I give him the benefit of the doubt that this was the mistake he made.

It's not thought reading. It's reasonable assumption.

And if he actually meant founder all along, well then I'm with you guys, and he's just a lying idiot.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply