Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Off-Site Handicapping Contests

Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
point given

New Tourney website

HPWS / NHC contests on new site with a free contest August 7, must register

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...w-website-for-handicapping-contest-players

http://www.horsetourneys.com/

Last edited by point given; 08-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
mistergee

thanks for the heads up pg
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Milkshaker

From the perspective of someone who is an avid contest fan who appreciates as many opportunities to play as possible:

I read the superlative-laced Ellis Park press release. When I perused the contest format posted on the new website, I was disappointed to see the format would be what has devolved into the industry's contest standard: $2 WP on a small, fixed number of mandatory races.

In my opinion, this is a tedious format (because in the latter stages of the contest, it becomes a matter of handicapping the leaderboard and not horse races).

The tourney landscape is already glutted with this format. If you want to set yourself apart as being new and innovative, make an effort to try something different.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
bettwice2

Format

Hi there,

I'm McKay Smith, the operator of the new HorseTourneys.com and the previous Tournament Director for NHCQualify.com.

Re: the contest format, please know that the software we've developed is capable of running multiple formats, and we absolutely intend to experiment with alternative formats moving forward.

The initial stages of launch for any website, and in this case a contest one that is launching in the middle of a qualifying year, is critical. For better or for worse, the $2 W/P format has been the standard, accepted format for contests, and we felt that it would have been a mistake to go to market at the onset with a format that may be too unfamiliar with regular contest players. Better to build confidence at the onset and call audibles moving forward.

I understand and agree that there are alternative formats available that may better recognize handicapping skill, and as mentioned, we intend to bring those to bear shortly.

I hope that players will try the new site out on August 7, and you can email me directly at support@horsetourneys.com with any questions or comments on the new operation. As mentioned, it is operated by Ellis Park, so contrary to some of the other contest efforts that have been attempted recently, players can play with trust and confidence at a site operated by an industry stakeholder.

Thanks and regards,
McKay Smith
bettwice2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Milkshaker

Hey McKay:

Thanks for taking the time to post, and for the explanation.

I will try out the freebie, and will willingly jump on board with my wallet once you roll out the new formats.

Good luck with the site.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
bettwice2

If there is a format that you are particularly interested in, please send it to me at support@horsetourneys.com. While we have a short list of what I think are viable alternatives that we've vetted through some of the to contest players, we're always open to considering additional ideas.

Thanks much,
McKay
bettwice2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Milkshaker

McKay:

I'm interested in a format that doesn't crash your server on the first day, rendering the time I invested in handicapping the contest absolutely useless.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker
McKay:

I'm interested in a format that doesn't crash your server on the first day, rendering the time I invested in handicapping the contest absolutely useless.
Ditto , not a very good beginning to say the least. Will try again this weekend though and hope all is fixed and well tested.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Beachbabe

The FREE contest which was rescheduled for this weekend (Aug 13) after the server went down last week, has now been re-re scheduled to Sept 24.
Contests this coming weekend are PAY contests.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
woodtoo

thanks b b
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply