Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
njcurveball
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,924
Why Harness Racing is a minor sport to TVG.

I like TVG and I really like Michelle Yu. But on a night where they have the Meadowlands Pace wouldn't it make sense to have someone on camera who has an idea that when a horse breaks stride there will be an inquiry?

I think they let their best harness people go, which just makes their coverage of this big night look even more lacking.

Maybe they should just play the music tonight and let the races go off in between.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 104,858
Michelle seems to me to be an authority only on ditzy.
Listening to her for more than a minute or two is pure torture.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!
 
duncan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
People play harness??
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
sonnyp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,881
not really, they just watch and politely applaud.

ive trained both thorobred and standardbred, and although the thorobreds get the glory, they can't hold a candle to their "poor stepchild" siblings the standardbred. the harness horses are more sound, more consistant, race much more and are of better temperment to work with.

over the oast 3 decades the standardbred has improved lightyears compared to the thorobred which is becoming so frail, they barely make it thru their third year of racing.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 72,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
ive trained both thorobred and standardbred, and although the thorobreds get the glory, they can't hold a candle to their "poor stepchild" siblings the standardbred. the harness horses are more sound, more consistant, race much more and are of better temperment to work with.
Might have something to do with the fact that they go a heck of a lot slower, and they're trotting/pacing...not going in a full out gallop...no?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!
 
duncan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Might have something to do with the fact that they go a heck of a lot slower, and they're trotting/pacing...not going in a full out gallop...no?
And that you can have a horse have no shot before the race begins. If a horse breaks before the start then just tear up the ticket before the race begins!
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 72,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
And that you can have a horse have no shot before the race begins. If a horse breaks before the start then just tear up the ticket before the race begins!
True, but this really has nothing to do with why the breed might be more durable...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!
 
duncan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
True, but this really has nothing to do with why the breed might be more durable...

Whoops quoted wrong message.
but that is why its treated to 'minor league' status

Last edited by duncan04; 07-17-2011 at 12:41 AM.
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
LottaKash
Registered User
 
LottaKash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
And that you can have a horse have no shot before the race begins. If a horse breaks before the start then just tear up the ticket before the race begins!
Like T-breds never stumble or act up or bolt out of the gate....Or get severely bumped around....Each breed has some drawbacks, don't you agree ?....

best,
__________________
.
"Cursed be the man who puts his trust in man" - Jer 17:5 (KJV)
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Wickel
Registered User
 
Wickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Santa Fe, N.M.
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Like T-breds never stumble or act up or bolt out of the gate....Or get severely bumped around....Each breed has some drawbacks, don't you agree ?....

best,
But you never see Tbreds stumbling before they reach the gate, or spotting the field a sixteenth of a mile (never have understood why some harness jocks do this). I've played harness more in recent years, but watching how horses break stride at an alarming rate is ... alarming! By the way, I think TVG overdoes harness racing. You harness guys dominate the early to midweek cards on TVG. Just recently did they begin featuring Charles Town. Otherwise we never see old staples like Evangeline and Lone Star and many of the quarter horse meets.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!
 
duncan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Like T-breds never stumble or act up or bolt out of the gate....Or get severely bumped around....Each breed has some drawbacks, don't you agree ?....

best,

But it happens after the race starts, whereas harness happens before the race starts. Big difference!!!
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
cj's dad
Registered User
 
cj's dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On The Bay
Posts: 9,857
Few among us care about trotters/pacers. Sooooo boring, and the pools reflect that !!
__________________
I wouldn't say I drink too much but my mother did tell me that my first words were" when does happy hour start"?
cj's dad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
LottaKash
Registered User
 
LottaKash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
But it happens after the race starts, whereas harness happens before the race starts. Big difference!!!
Yes they "are" different, but they are still "severe" drawbacks....

Say you had a bet on on t-bred, and he stumbles at the start and loses all chance of winning, then what....It is racing luck...Same thing for both breeds....

Actually, other than breaking stride in S-breds, I truly believe that a t-bred can find more ways to lose a chance to win a race than the trotter or pacer...

best,
__________________
.
"Cursed be the man who puts his trust in man" - Jer 17:5 (KJV)
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #14
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!
 
duncan04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Yes they "are" different, but they are still "severe" drawbacks....

Say you had a bet on on t-bred, and he stumbles at the start and loses all chance of winning, then what....It is racing luck...Same thing for both breeds....

Actually, other than breaking stride in S-breds, I truly believe that a t-bred can find more ways to lose a chance to win a race than the trotter or pacer...

best,

Ok guess we will agree to disagree. If it happens at the start after the gate opens its racing luck. If a trotter falls back before the start of the race is that racing luck?
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
LottaKash
Registered User
 
LottaKash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickel
But you never see Tbreds stumbling before they reach the gate, or spotting the field a sixteenth of a mile (never have understood why some harness jocks do this).
How about a t-bred, stumbling, acting up or thrashing about inside a loaded starting gate ?....Same thing, losing all chance before the race starts, wouldn't you say that is quite similar ?....Perhaps, with either breed the horse shouldn't have been racing on that day, to begin with....Harness horses with gait problems are usually unsound racehorses, and most likely should have been scratched before post time...The t-breds have a much looser set of rules when it comes to scratches.....Sometimes, too loose for me....Imagine, a race that starts out with 10 entrants, and they go with 4 or 5 at off time.....Harness horses have to show much more "just cause" in order for a track vet to scratch a horse...

best,
__________________
.
"Cursed be the man who puts his trust in man" - Jer 17:5 (KJV)
LottaKash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wagering Pool with best chance to find an overlay.
Win - 36.36%
20 Votes
Place - 3.64%
2 Votes
Show - 9.09%
5 Votes
Exacta - 30.91%
17 Votes
Trifecta - 7.27%
4 Votes
Superfexta - 1.82%
1 Vote
Pick(x) - 10.91%
6 Votes
Hi 5 Pentafecta - 0%
0 Votes
Total Votes: 55
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2021 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.