Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Exotic Betting-Steven Crist

Just received "Exotic Betting", by Steven Crist, a Christmas gift from my daughter. As I've stated before, I don't read horse racing/handicapping/wagering books, except for one, years ago, by Pittsburg Phil. Does anyone have comments about the book, before I read it? Any portions of real value, etc.?

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
pandy

Exotics

Personally I think it's a very good book worth reading unless you are an expert on how to construct exotic wagers.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

One of the best

Check out the odds on hitting a super and tri with small bets, and you might stop playing them
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Great book - actually almost everything Crist writes is worth reading. He even makes his greyhounds interesting.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Thanks guys! After reading the first few pages, I wasn't impressed, old news, very old. But, if you guys think it's worth reading, I'll give it a go.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

PS, I did like that he made a point of saying that picking a winner isn't as important as knowing how and when to wager. I couldn't agree more. And, he also stated that exotics wagering receives more dollars bet than WPS wagering, at least in the big races where life changing scores are available. I've suspected that for a few years now, mainly since the advent of the dime super, $1 exacta and $.50 tri, and the lower minimum amounts on some picks. And, I also more than suspect that there is much more "uneducated" wagering going on in those pools.

Last edited by raybo; 12-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Thanks guys! After reading the first few pages, I wasn't impressed, old news, very old. But, if you guys think it's worth reading, I'll give it a go.
It does start slow. If you want to improve your Pick 4 and 6 play, it's a great book. If you just want a great read, pick up Crist's "Betting on Myself," which is autobiographical. If you don't like that one, I'll personally send you a refund.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
It does start slow. If you want to improve your Pick 4 and 6 play, it's a great book. If you just want a great read, pick up Crist's "Betting on Myself," which is autobiographical. If you don't like that one, I'll personally send you a refund.
Mike,

That's Ok, if the autobiography is that good I'll just hint that it would be a nice birthday present.

I think I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I'm a little "tight" when it comes to spending money. That may be a bit of an understatement.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Mike,

That's Ok, if the autobiography is that good I'll just hint that it would be a nice birthday present.

I think I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I'm a little "tight" when it comes to spending money. That may be a bit of an understatement.
I'll even refund your money if you get it as a birthday gift and don't like it!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
DeanT

I liked both his books. I think he is a good writer.

For personal writing style/storytelling he is my fave over in NA. Across the pond (if you can handle the cultural betting differences) Dave Nevison's stuff is really good. He's a riot, and a really good horse gambler.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...SIN=1905156588

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...SIN=1905156456
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT

For personal writing style/storytelling he is my fave over in NA. Across the pond (if you can handle the cultural betting differences) Dave Nevison's stuff is really good. He's a riot, and a really good horse gambler.
I just ordered his book "A Bloody Good Winner", from Amazon.com Dean...any chance I can get a refund from you in case I don't like it?
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I just ordered his book "A Bloody Good Winner", from Amazon.com Dean...any chance I can get a refund from you in case I don't like it?
You got it. Send me your mailing address and I will give you an assortment of 30 cent vouchers for the whole purchase price from various racetracks that I collect

I find the UK betting books kind of cool because the horses are different and the culture is different. I find it super-interesting to read a book by a guy like this, who hops on a train and goes from meeting to meeting, staying in hotels, watching replays, shopping for prices, laying off a betfair and trying to pay his electric bills as his job is betting. There are so many pros in the UK because the volume is there and the prices (5% win takeouts) are there. It is not uncommon for him to bet $10k to win and find a willing market.

It's different, but kind of cool. Let me know what you think!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
riskman

I am waiting for raybo's book "How to Win the Superfecta in 10 Easy Steps"

Probably be a best seller. Not a chance, but you will leave your secrets in your safe deposit box, right ! Only teasing you. Show me the money.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
You got it. Send me your mailing address and I will give you an assortment of 30 cent vouchers for the whole purchase price from various racetracks that I collect

I find the UK betting books kind of cool because the horses are different and the culture is different. I find it super-interesting to read a book by a guy like this, who hops on a train and goes from meeting to meeting, staying in hotels, watching replays, shopping for prices, laying off a betfair and trying to pay his electric bills as his job is betting. There are so many pros in the UK because the volume is there and the prices (5% win takeouts) are there. It is not uncommon for him to bet $10k to win and find a willing market.

It's different, but kind of cool. Let me know what you think!
A while back...Charlie D commented on Patrick Veitch...a professional "punter" who is considered to be the UK's most feared horse player.

I bought his book "Enemy Number One"...and if you PM me a shipping address, I will gladly send it to you...as a token of my esteem.

Last edited by thaskalos; 12-24-2010 at 12:00 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
A while back...Charlie D commented on Patrick Veitch...a professional "punter" who is considered to be the UK's most feared horse player.

I bought his book "Enemy Number One"...and if you PM me a shipping address, I will gladly send it to you...as a token of my esteem.
I have that one too. But your offer was damn good. I should have waited to buy it

Did you like it? It was a little spy-novelly I thought, but I enjoyed it!

Riskman,

You got it. Ray knows what he is doing with supers, no question.