Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

CS Royce in the 9th at Churchill (june 24)

Was this a million dollar race? Geez.

I can see why many people can't stand this guy.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #62
toussaud

you know what would be a funny/ somewhat catchy commercial? if they had mark Johnson gouing around town, announcing just people doing every day things and just blowing it all out of portoption like he always does
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #63
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner
The harness guy that does Meadows Live....
Roger Huston.....sounds like he's announcing the apocalypse every race. Then he announces the time of the race like its a track record. To each his own style.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #64
toussaud

is that the guy that sounds like he's announcing a WWF fight? i get a kick out of that guy
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #65
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
CS Royce in the 9th at Churchill (june 24)

Was this a million dollar race? Geez.

I can see why many people can't stand this guy.
SRU, you're the only guy in the world that could resurrect his own eighth month old useless thread. You never let up in this category, or in the one of whining.

It'd be a gratifying experience to see you and other keyboard wizards handed the microphone. It might be unsettling to watch a grown man wet his fine pair of slacks, but no one could be more deserving of the embarrassment.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #66
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
SRU, you're the only guy in the world that could resurrect his own eighth month old useless thread. You never let up in this category, or in the one of whining.

It'd be a gratifying experience to see you and other keyboard wizards handed the microphone. It might be unsettling to watch a grown man wet his fine pair of slacks, but no one could be more deserving of the embarrassment.
Hehehehe!!!!! Love to see it.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #67
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits

I'm quite sure that anyone in the world who tried something they never practiced would be unsettling to watch. What does this have to do with the original topic or my most recent post?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #68
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Why in the world would someone have a problem with an announcer treating a $10,000 claimer like it was the Kentucky Derby? Especially if the race turns out to be an exciting finish...

Isn't that what they are SUPPOSED to do?

The ones who don't are just phoning it in, are they not?

Silly thread is right.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #69
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Why in the world would someone have a problem with an announcer treating a $10,000 claimer like it was the Kentucky Derby? Especially if the race turns out to be an exciting finish...

Isn't that what they are SUPPOSED to do?

The ones who don't are just phoning it in, are they not?

Silly thread is right.
Because its annoying to the ear. If you call a 10k claimer like its a stakes race, you just get a reputation as a screamer and carnival barker. If you scream for every race no matter what, it takes the shine off the really big moments and they just all blend into one big steaming pile of horse manure.

My suggestion would be to go nuts for the grade 1 races and call all the other races a little calmer. Im not saying the guy needs to mail it in, but there should be a difference between grade 1 events and cheap claimers.

Most good announcers differentiate their tone depending on the class of the race.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #70
wisconsin

Quote:
Because its annoying to the ear. If you call a 10k claimer like its a stakes race, you just get a reputation as a screamer and carnival barker. If you scream for every race no matter what, it takes the shine off the really big moments and they just all blend into one big steaming pile of horse manure.

My suggestion would be to go nuts for the grade 1 races and call all the other races a little calmer. Im not saying the guy needs to mail it in, but there should be a difference between grade 1 events and cheap claimers.

Most good announcers differentiate their tone depending on the class of the race.

So, you really miss Marshall Cassidy that bad, huh?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
No they don't. Most differentiate their tone based on the competitiveness and excitement of any given race, or at least they should.

Naturally, Grade I races tend to attract marquee names, and that is exciting in and of itself. But if you have two horses coming down the stretch, neck and neck in a $10,000 claimer, and you don't think the announcer should convey any sort of excitement with that kind of match up, well then, I don't know what to tell you.

I guess based on how you replied to me in a prior thread today, I should simply respond to you with one of these:

PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #72
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of High School football compared to the NFL? Or what about Olympic hockey... did Al Michaels overcall the Miracle on Ice?

If an announcer was hired to read your posts out loud, what kind of "call" do you think they should get?

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #73
v j stauffer

Quote:
No they don't. Most differentiate their tone based on the competitiveness and excitement of any given race, or at least they should.

Naturally, Grade I races tend to attract marquee names, and that is exciting in and of itself. But if you have two horses coming down the stretch, neck and neck in a $10,000 claimer, and you don't think the announcer should convey any sort of excitement with that kind of match up, well then, I don't know what to tell you.

I guess based on how you replied to me in a prior thread today, I should simply respond to you with one of these:

I'd like to weigh in on this. A head to head tooth and nail stretch battle is a very cool, very exciting thing. However, I don't think a 10k claimer and a Grade 1 stake should garner the same call.

That would be like calling a mid-season walk off homer between the Twins and Mariners the same as Joe Carter's World Series winner. Bigger stage. More history. Simply put. More important.

I think most race fans would agree that Grade 1 races are more intensely and passionately viewed than an average everyday race.

What I think good announcers do is recognize that difference and give each the appropriate feel. To call them both the same would deny the Grade 1 the glory that IMO it's earned and deserves.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 06-25-2011 at 11:28 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #74
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

I didnt say he shouldnt NOT convey excitement, i said that he shouldnt go ape sh*t for the 10 claimer, like our man at Churchill does.

As for your first sentence, why should they? Do you think Tom Durkin should call every race like he called Rachel Alexandra's win over the boys at the Spa? Do you think that a 10 claimer deserves the 'raises the rafters at the spa' call if it happens to be neck and neck to the wire?

As Tom Jackson and Keyshawn would say, "CMON MAN"
Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #75
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I'd like to weigh in on this. A head to head tooth and nail stretch battle is a very cool, very exciting thing. However, I don't think a 10k claimer and a Grade 1 stake should garner the same call.

Why not?
the same money is bet on both. You are in business to take bets, not pretend you are a sport. Youexist for one purpose only - gambling.
Take away the bets and you have nothing to call. Show some repsect for those who enable you to take home a paycheck.