Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #46
toussaud

There is only 1 correct answer, and that answer is Mark Johnson. I don't think he's a bad announcer at all, he's grown on me, and he's very accurate, but you'd think the 5k claimer was the arc or something.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #47
The Hawk

Our version of the "Christmas Countdown"

How many more announcer threads until Gulfstream opens?
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #48
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk
As many as we need.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #49
DeoVolente

Durkin with his pace comments can drive me nuts.

Still haven't heard a better announcer than Chic Anderson

Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine!
DeoVolente is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #50
skate
s.e. pa.

CD , worst ever in the over-do-it category
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #51
jballscalls

i'm so tempted just to start screaming tomorrow during our card so i can make the list.

i've always said, it's just as hard to be the worst as it is the best!
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #52
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
i'm so tempted just to start screaming tomorrow during our card so i can make the list.

i've always said, it's just as hard to be the worst as it is the best!

DO IT!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk
As Casey Kasem once opined: ponderous man...f**king ponderous...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #54
Stillriledup
Veteran

I just listened to the call of the 2010 Turf Paradise Derby. I guess its their signature race and all, so its apropos for the guy to go ape doo doo and 'overcall' that race?

I know its their biggest race (or, one of the biggest) but its still Turf Freakin Paradise, its not Saratoga. There's only so much excitement you can have for a TuP race, ya know?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #55
stuball

calling a race

I think we have to look at the call of the race as being important to attract a new fan base. We complain the tracks are doing nothing to attract new fans.
picture this --you are on vacation and there are races running nearby..on a whim let's go to the track.. chances are greater that you will be seeing cheap claimers or mdn races but being a new fan you don't know that - in fact you know next to nothing about racing..so you go to the races and learn how to make your first bet depending on how adventerous and how much extra $$$
you have it may be a win-place or show bet. Unless you sit next to someone
who is not self absorbed in his racing form and is willing to help you --you might even make a small exacta or (heavens) a trifecta bet...now we are set for the race...if you are sitting in the grandstand (most likely) or clubhouse and have no tv you will pretty much have to listen for your horses name to have an idea where your horse is running..if the crowd is small you may be able to hear the race caller--if a large crowd (not) they are on the far side of the track and you
can't see your horse. announcer is calling horses wait he said my horses name (does that mean he's winning?) I have no idea...now they are coming into the stretch - the announcer is calling my horses name where is he I can't see him...announcer is screaming as they come down the stretch.
I think I see my horse number running just behind the leader but I'm not sure
his number is blocked by another horse....Yes he's there...pushing his nose ahead of the bunch behind the leader. Come on Come oonnnn. Announcer is
calling his name again..he is coming after the leader now closing the gap as
they come to the finish the announcer is screaming the leaders name and my horses name....he's coming closer..he's gonna win. closer closer but
the finish is only a little ways away. The announcer is calling his name like
he wants my horse to win...the finish. ohhhhh my horse finishes second..
that's ok I'm excited wow that was great fun...I look at several tickets in my hand I a win-place-show on my horse ...Do I win? Yes I think so...how much?
I have no idea..my face is flushed from the excitement...race is unofficial
what the heck does that mean? Do I lose? Darn !! Did you hear that announcer screaming the horses names...Wow.
We gotta do this more often..I am great at picking them...This is so easy...
We got to do this again...

Stuball

Last edited by stuball; 01-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #56
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Very dull post.
I laughed out loud at that...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #57
Gallop58

No offense to him personally, but I could never get on board with Well's at FE.
I don't mind the current guy but he suffers from dramatic ending with no build up syndrome.
I expect serious professional drama for the big races, even it's it not there. For the rest of the races I like and live with over the top if A) the race has actual drama, or B) the caller has done a good job of developing a story line in the race call up to the stretch.
Personally, I find the Australia and English race callers do a much better job on the whole. They seem to give me way more info. If nothing else they call the late odds movements. That alone helps create a good story of the race.
In NA you're lucky to get " and the post time favorite is loaded in, they're set"

For example, I love calls where it's explained that the jock is doing something differently this time, or something as simple as "he's got him tucked in behind" "he's really fighting" "he'll probably need to swing wide to get up in time, OH YA, HE's FOUND A HOLE ON THE RAIL!!!"
The stretch scream, with no setup is what I really don't like. Set it up and I can live with it.
Gallop58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #58
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball
I think we have to look at the call of the race as being important to attract a new fan base. We complain the tracks are doing nothing to attract new fans.
picture this --you are on vacation and there are races running nearby..on a whim let's go to the track.. chances are greater that you will be seeing cheap claimers or mdn races but being a new fan you don't know that - in fact you know next to nothing about racing..so you go to the races and learn how to make your first bet depending on how adventerous and how much extra $$$
you have it may be a win-place or show bet. Unless you sit next to someone
who is not self absorbed in his racing form and is willing to help you --you might even make a small exacta or (heavens) a trifecta bet...now we are set for the race...if you are sitting in the grandstand (most likely) or clubhouse and have no tv you will pretty much have to listen for your horses name to have an idea where your horse is running..if the crowd is small you may be able to hear the race caller--if a large crowd (not) they are on the far side of the track and you
can't see your horse. announcer is calling horses wait he said my horses name (does that mean he's winning?) I have no idea...now they are coming into the stretch - the announcer is calling my horses name where is he I can't see him...announcer is screaming as they come down the stretch.
I think I see my horse number running just behind the leader but I'm not sure
his number is blocked by another horse....Yes he's there...pushing his nose ahead of the bunch behind the leader. Come on Come oonnnn. Announcer is
calling his name again..he is coming after the leader now closing the gap as
they come to the finish the announcer is screaming the leaders name and my horses name....he's coming closer..he's gonna win. closer closer but
the finish is only a little ways away. The announcer is calling his name like
he wants my horse to win...the finish. ohhhhh my horse finishes second..
that's ok I'm excited wow that was great fun...I look at several tickets in my hand I a win-place-show on my horse ...Do I win? Yes I think so...how much?
I have no idea..my face is flushed from the excitement...race is unofficial
what the heck does that mean? Do I lose? Darn !! Did you hear that announcer screaming the horses names...Wow.
We gotta do this more often..I am great at picking them...This is so easy...
We got to do this again...

Stuball

Well said, Stu
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #59
Gallop58

Maybe it's time for 2 "channels" of race call? On track and offtrack. If you're serious about your product the minor cost of an additional head to create a better product seems a no brainer. That said, I assume race callers don't grow on trees....
Gallop58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #60
Marshall Bennett

Richard Grunder overcalls all of his races and 90% of them are cheap as well.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply